[REMOVE ADS]

Page 28 of 77 FirstFirst ... 18 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 38 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Gonna have to get you some knee pads bro!!

Nope. I'm gonna avoid airports and/or luggage and/or brothers at airports with luggage. Trust me, that ain't happening again.

Hehehehe...tell the truth,it was da hooch that got cha!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    LOL. When I fell at the airport two weeks ago! I was carrying one of my brother's bags when he made a sudden stop and changed directions. My old *** couldn't account for the weight of the bag and fell in slow motion to the dirty carpet. Thank God there were only a few folks there... I'm lucky though; most folks my age don't get up when they fall down.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  21.1 KB
    I'm 70, and I still carry a big, 50 lb bag in one hand, a 20 to 25 lb briefcase[[1956 fat metal Olympia typewriter case) full of paper, a few books in the other, and a 25-30 lb rucksack [[small backpack) on my back, when I move every year from Holland to Denmark to Germany, and even when I take a plane to Canada or USA and back the other way. I often have to run with all that 100 lb to not miss a train or bus. I was late one morning in Amsterdam, a couple years ago, and had to run for the last tram which could get me to The Central Train Station, where I could catch the train to Schiphol Airport. The signal light had just changed as I was running towards The tram. The tram was just ready to pull out. I waved my heavy briefcase in the air while yelling "Hou OP!" [["wait!") at the top of my lungs. The driver started the engine, but as I approached the door near the front, my foot tripped over the cement "island" between the train track area, and the bicycle way, and my briefcase went flying , then landed in front of the tram. I fell just in front, as well. Luckily, the driver had barely started, and braked before hitting me or my case. He waited for me to enter the tram, and I made my flight to London.

But, I still carry those roughly 100 lb. [[which are the free of charge limit for overseas flights) when I fly, and carry that much weight or more, when I take trains and long coach bus rides within Europe. And I still often have to run carrying all that weight. I don't know how much longer I will be able to do that. But I lift weights and do exercises to keep that ability. If I fall down, I have to get right back up and continue running.

Nope. I'm gonna avoid airports and/or luggage and/or brothers at airports with luggage. Trust me, that ain't happening again.
    Did you do it for the Vine?

Few people in my hood had the classic Radio Flyer.....but we did have a few red wagons. We dragged them through the snow so much that they were pretty rusted by Summer.

And they always reminded me of one of my grandfather's fave saying:

"That's your little red wagon.....you pull it." Which I came to understand meant.....It's great to ride it down the hill.....but pulling it offered no joy.

I had a crappy wooden wagon when I was 9 and delivered Afros in the projects near Lombard St..... downhill from my beloved Douglas Homes. Had....because doing collection day, a few of the denizens decided that I was to be their next payday. As I was hauling azz up Central Ave. I realized the wagon was slowing me down. When I jettisoned it, it was like that scene in Star Wars where the Millennium Falcon shifts to hyper space.

Did I mention earlier that Track was one of my fave sports?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 252
    But, I still carry those roughly 100 lb. [[which are the free of charge limit for overseas flights) when I fly, and carry that much weight or more, when I take trains and long coach bus rides within Europe. And I still often have to run carrying all that weight. I don't know how much longer I will be able to do that. But I lift weights and do exercises to keep that ability. If I fall down, I have to get right back up and continue running.
    Maybe I need to start flying overseas. The last time I took a flight, I had to stuff all of my stuff into a sandwich bag to keep them from charging me for it. In the continental US, there's a charge for early boarding, carry on bags, checking luggage, drinks, watching movies, bugging the flight attendants, and farting without excusing yourself these days.

If I could get away with 100 pounds of luggage, I'd stuff my wife in a suitcase and let her ride for free.

Quote Originally Posted by destruction View Post
    Few people in my hood had the classic Radio Flyer.....but we did have a few red wagons. We dragged them through the snow so much that they were pretty rusted by Summer.

And they always reminded me of one of my grandfather's fave saying:

"That's your little red wagon.....you pull it." Which I came to understand meant.....It's great to ride it down the hill.....but pulling it offered no joy.

I had a crappy wooden wagon when I was 9 and delivered Afros in the projects near Lombard St..... downhill from my beloved Douglas Homes. Had....because doing collection day, a few of the denizens decided that I was to be their next payday. As I was hauling azz up Central Ave. I realized the wagon was slowing me down. When I jettisoned it, it was like that scene in Star Wars where the Millennium Falcon shifts to hyper space.

Did I mention earlier that Track was one of my fave sports?
    LOL. I used to hear it as "put that in your little red wagon", Des. And Radio Flyers were much more fun when I was really small and a bigger kid was pulling me around in one. Not so much fun as the big kid. And yah, they rusted and typically would not be replaced once they did. I guess parents were telling kids that since they left them out in the winter, they could put their little red wagons in their little red wagons and pull them.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..hey not only did they rust but the handles would come loose too[after a couple years of heavy use]like eight of us kids riding down a hill in it,no i don't know how we all fit or how we survived that downhill trip!!

Maybe I need to start flying overseas. The last time I took a flight, I had to stuff all of my stuff into a sandwich bag to keep them from charging me for it. In the continental US, there's a charge for early boarding, carry on bags, checking luggage, drinks, watching movies, bugging the flight attendants, and farting without excusing yourself these days.

If I could get away with 100 pounds of luggage, I'd stuff my wife in a suitcase and let her ride for free.
Views: 275

I can't afford to fly on domestic flights in USA, because I have to book months ahead, and can't have the flexibility to change travel days at the last moment to take advantage of standby [[plus, the baggage cost). If I have a far trip completely inside Canada and/or USA [[say, between Winnipeg and Chicago, Chicago and Kansas City, or Kansas City and Los Angeles), I would take a bus.

It's best to fly into an airport in a nearby city and drive a rental car to your destination. Like flying to Ontario instead of LAX. You'll probably save enough time and money to make it worth it. These days, their are fewer direct flights anywhere. To fly into Chicago from Cincinnati might send you to Atlanta first. My brother took a flight from Cleveland to Columbus and had to first fly to Detroit for a two hour layover. It takes only two hours to drive to Columbus from Cleveland. I'm surprised the airline didn't put him on a twin prop pond jumper, which they were doing on short flights 10 years ago.

It's best to fly into an airport in a nearby city and drive a rental car to your destination. Like flying to Ontario instead of LAX. You'll probably save enough time and money to make it worth it. These days, their are fewer direct flights anywhere. To fly into Chicago from Cincinnati might send you to Atlanta first. My brother took a flight from Cleveland to Columbus and had to first fly to Detroit for a two hour layover. It takes only two hours to drive to Columbus from Cleveland. I'm surprised the airline didn't put him on a twin prop pond jumper, which they were doing on short flights 10 years ago.
    Once a few years ago I had to fly to Boston from Detroit. They flew me all the way down to Atlanta first and then all the way back up the coast to Boston! I could not believe it because we use to have direct flights from Boston to Detroit that took exactly 1 hour and 10 mins.

Speaking of flying,remember those airplanes that we got from the five an dime? Just slip on the wings an tail and toss that sucker.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Once a few years ago I had to fly to Boston from Detroit. They flew me all the way down to Atlanta first and then all the way back up the coast to Boston! I could not believe it because we use to have direct flights from Boston to Detroit that took exactly 1 hour and 10 mins.
Views: 273
    I could do that kind of thing to save money [[maybe €500+) on trans-Atlantic flights from L.A. or Winnipeg back to Amsterdam, by flying on Russian Aeroflot and going way further east, out of the way to Moscow first, and spending an extra night in Moscow Airport. But they crash a lot and cancel a lot of flights, so I don't do that. I'm too young to die, and I can't really lose 2 complete nights' sleep in a row, just trying to stay awake so no one steals my computer and briefcase, and carry-on bag. Norwegian shuttle also has ridiculously cheap overseas flights, but they have a lot of cancelled flights, and times when the airplane never shows up, and it takes years to get your refund [[if ever). And I wouldn't want to spend all night awake in Oslo Airport, either [[despite it being safe there). For domestic US, Ontario is almost 100 miles from where I stay in L.A. So, it's not very convenient for me.
    Last edited by robb_k; 12-29-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Hey robb you are truly a man of the world,is there anyplace you haven't been?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Speaking of flying,remember those airplanes that we got from the five an dime? Just slip on the wings an tail and toss that sucker.
    You're talking about the little wooden ones?

Yep,those sucker could glide!!

Views: 273
    I could do that kind of thing to save money [[maybe €500+) on trans-Atlantic flights from L.A. or Winnipeg back to Amsterdam, by flying on Russian Aeroflot and going way further east, out of the way to Moscow first, and spending an extra night in Moscow Airport. But they crash a lot and cancel a lot of flights, so I don't do that. I'm too young to die, and I can't really lose 2 complete nights' sleep in a row, just trying to stay awake so no one steals my computer and briefcase, and carry-on bag. Norwegian shuttle also has ridiculously cheap overseas flights, but they have a lot of cancelled flights, and times when the airplane never shows up, and it takes years to get your refund [[if ever). And I wouldn't want to spend all night awake in Oslo Airport, either [[despite it being safe there). For domestic US, Ontario is almost 100 miles from where I stay in L.A. So, it's not very convenient for me.
    Robb, we don't want you to go anywhere where they have a history of crashing! Could you fly from Toronto to Amsterdam? I mean like Winnipeg to Toronto to Amsterdam?

Yep,those sucker could glide!!
    Yes I remember those. When we went to the grocery store with my Mom, she'd buy me and my brother those planes. To us they were exciting and a lot of fun. Try giving one to a kid today and he'd look at you like "What am I suppose to do with this sheet!?" LOL!

Are y'all talking about the ones with the rubber bands? They had a propeller and rubber band and two popsicle sticks. Those were great.

Are y'all talking about the ones with the rubber bands? They had a propeller and rubber band and two popsicle sticks. Those were great.
    Nope, not that one Jerry. That's too elaborate LOL! I am talking about the ones made out of that same type of wood that you would have to detach the parts, slide them together and viola! You have your plane. It didn't have the propeller or rubberband.

This is it Jerry. Probably cost a dime or a quarter:

Attachment 12298

Yeah, we got both of those. They were made of cheap Balsa wood that would break if you slid it into the slot halfway crooked. Those bring to mind the old ball and paddles that my sister and girl cousins could work for fifteen minutes but I could barely do for three hits.

Yeah, we got both of those. They were made of cheap Balsa wood that would break if you slid it into the slot halfway crooked. Those bring to mind the old ball and paddles that my sister and girl cousins could work for fifteen minutes but I could barely do for three hits.

My first paddling in school was with one of those by my principal in kindergarten. LOL!

Robb, we don't want you to go anywhere where they have a history of crashing! Could you fly from Toronto to Amsterdam? I mean like Winnipeg to Toronto to Amsterdam?
Views: 261
    That's what I do MOST often! Winnipeg to Toronto, to London, to Amsterdam [[only overnight from Toronto to London). Then, I stay in London for a couple nights, or stay in England for a week, and go up to Lancashire[[Manchester Area), or just stay in Heathrow for a couple hours, and arrive late afternoon at Schiphol, and am home 35 minutes later. I take Air Canada from Winnipeg to Toronto, and Toronto to London, and British Air to A'dam. I get a really good price, because I book 7 months ahead, and the ticket is non-refundable. But, in over 60 years of booking flights, I've never had to cancel or change a flight. Amsterdam/London/Toronto/Winnipeg/L.A./Toronto/London/Amsterdam last year only cost me about € 900. I got a car ride with my cousin from Winnipeg to Chicago, and took Greyhound from there to Kansas City, and from there to L.A. I can write stories and draw storyboard sketches while sitting on the coach buses. I place my drawing board atop the fold down food tray. So, I can work on the all day trip and overnight. I don't mind losing a night's sleep to save a few hundred Dollars. And I can sleep late the next morning, as I work at home.

Views: 261
    That's what I do MOST often! Winnipeg to Toronto, to London, to Amsterdam [[only overnight from Toronto to London). Then, I stay in London for a couple nights, or stay in England for a week, and go up to Lancashire[[Manchester Area), or just stay in Heathrow for a couple hours, and arrive late afternoon at Schiphol, and am home 35 minutes later. I take Air Canada from Winnipeg to Toronto, and Toronto to London, and British Air to A'dam. I get a really good price, because I book 7 months ahead, and the ticket is non-refundable. But, in over 60 years of booking flights, I've never had to cancel or change a flight. Amsterdam/London/Toronto/Winnipeg/L.A./Toronto/London/Amsterdam last year only cost me about € 900. I got a car ride with my cousin from Winnipeg to Chicago, and took Greyhound from there to Kansas City, and from there to L.A. I can write stories and draw storyboard sketches while sitting on the coach buses. I place my drawing board atop the fold down food tray. So, I can work on the all day trip and overnight. I don't mind losing a night's sleep to save a few hundred Dollars. And I can sleep late the next morning, as I work at home.
    I forgot you'd have to go through Heathrow in London. I really use to enjoy traveling, even with the lay overs, late connecting flights etc.etc. I would go to the nearest bar or restaurant and just enjoy it.

Views: 255
    She might meet the weight limit, but could she fold herself small enough to meet the checked bag's 3 dimensions length limits? The breadth limit isn't very many millimeters.

LOL. I probably couldn't squeeze her in but she's smart enough to figure it out if she had to. I have the degrees but she's the brains behind our outfit.

yes i remember those. When we went to the grocery store with my mom, she'd buy me and my brother those planes. To us they were exciting and a lot of fun. Try giving one to a kid today and he'd look at you like "what am i suppose to do with this sheet!?" lol!
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...ungrateful little boogers!!

this is it jerry. Probably cost a dime or a quarter:

Attachment 12298
    do you guys have warehouse or what?

Hearing about the circus closing down reminded me of the old tv series[circus boy]remember that one?

Ummm... No. I remember Jimmy Stewart was a killer clown in "The Greatest Show On Earth", though.

Actually jimmy was a doctor in disguise,great movie.

And why was he in disguise...?

Can't remember wasn't he accused of malpractice or something resulting in the death of a patient?

HE KILLED HIS WIFE!! HE WAS A MURDERER, JUST AS I SAID. Buttons, the killer clown. Well, it was a mercy killing, but you know how the cops look at these things. LOL.

What were you thinking, he committed Medicare fraud?

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,jerry i'm signing you up for an appearance on[late talk].

Pennywise from Stephen King's "IT" was the original badass killer clown! LOL!

Attachment 12453

What killer clown?...that's just[whiskey william]from round da way!!

They're making a new version of "It". I don't think it's going to be scary as the first one though, even though the first was a TV flick.

"Down here, they all float!"

They're making a new version of "It". I don't think it's going to be scary as the first one though, even though the first was a TV flick.

"Down here, they all float!"
    I will admit right here, right now that the original one creep the heck out of me.

I worked at a group home back in the '90s. We took some of the kids to Blockbuster Video and one of them begged that we check out "It". He told me that he'd seen it a couple of years earlier and the clown telling the little boy about the lights and that underground, all the bodies float was something that had terrified him.

I worked at a group home back in the '90s. We took some of the kids to Blockbuster Video and one of them begged that we check out "It". He told me that he'd seen it a couple of years earlier and the clown telling the little boy about the lights and that underground, all the bodies float was something that had terrified him.
    I was a grown man when it came on TV and my girlfriend at the time was laughing at me trying to pretend it did not get to me LOL!!!

That reminds me of the time "Carrie" came on HBO for the first time. I watched it in the living room with my mom and sister. My brother and his girlfriend came home from the state fair and went to watch it alone in the basement. The last scene of that movie is one of the scariest that I've ever seen and me, Mom and Sis all jumped and shouted when it happened. In the basement? Barely a peep.

Flip to the following Monday: Me and big brother are watching it together in the basement. I knew something was up when he turned the lights out. When the movie was nearing the end, he edged up in his chair like he was waiting for something. Well, when the scene dropped, he screamed as loud as he could and ran upstairs, leaving me wondering what the hell I just missed. It turns out that Mr. Macho had made sure not to jump when his girl was there, so he saved it all weekend and it came out when he didn't have to be humiliated.

What a man! LOL. Scared me more the second time and I knew what was coming up in the movie.

Hey fellas,remember when there was the girl in the hood that you had that crush on since kindergarden,but she always wore pigtails and then one day her mom combed her hair out and you thought that she was venus come to life...just before she moved and you never saw her again?

That reminds me of the time "Carrie" came on HBO for the first time. I watched it in the living room with my mom and sister. My brother and his girlfriend came home from the state fair and went to watch it alone in the basement. The last scene of that movie is one of the scariest that I've ever seen and me, Mom and Sis all jumped and shouted when it happened. In the basement? Barely a peep.

Flip to the following Monday: Me and big brother are watching it together in the basement. I knew something was up when he turned the lights out. When the movie was nearing the end, he edged up in his chair like he was waiting for something. Well, when the scene dropped, he screamed as loud as he could and ran upstairs, leaving me wondering what the hell I just missed. It turns out that Mr. Macho had made sure not to jump when his girl was there, so he saved it all weekend and it came out when he didn't have to be humiliated.

What a man! LOL. Scared me more the second time and I knew what was coming up in the movie.
    Great story , I love it! LOL!!!!

Hey fellas,remember when there was the girl in the hood that you had that crush on since kindergarden,but she always wore pigtails and then one day her mom combed her hair out and you thought that she was venus come to life...just before she moved and you never saw her again?
    Oh yeah and in my case her name was Daffney......whew!

Hearing about the circus closing down reminded me of the old tv series[circus boy]remember that one?
    Wasn't Mickey Dolenz, who later became a member of the Monkees. in that?

Possibly,i don't recall the cast.

Remember when baseball caps and tennis shoes were worn with jeans and a tee shirt,not a suit???