[REMOVE ADS]

Page 30 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 40 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jerry I had a Jheri curl from roughly 1981 to mid 1983. I went to Atlanta in 1993 around my birthday and there were guys walking around with Jheri curls some 10 years after we stopped. LOL!!!!
    I'm willing to bet those guys were not from the ATL but from Valdosta or Macon. lol

I lived in the ATL around that time and none of the guys I knew [[from the city proper) were doing Jheri curls. The thing that really struck me was Atl was one of the most progressive places I had been to at the time. However the joke [[although not really a joke) Atlanta and Georgia were two different places entirely.Step outside of the ATL and you were in a different world.

Quote Originally Posted by ms_m View Post
    I'm willing to bet those guys were not from the ATL but from Valdosta or Macon. lol

I lived in the ATL around that time and none of the guys I knew [[from the city proper) were doing Jheri curls. The thing that really struck me was Atl was one of the most progressive places I had been to at the time. However the joke [[although not really a joke) Atlanta and Georgia were two different places entirely.Step outside of the ATL and you were in a different world.
    So, it was those country guys who were wearing Jheri curls? Sounds right. LOL.

That may be true but I bet they use words and phrases people in other areas don't. Example, I always say soda but a friend from Cleveland uses the word pop. Or what about the word Houston...in New York they pronounce the street of the same name as Houseton...
    So, that went right over your head, didn't it? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    I think Jerry was joking when he said his "Area" is the only one without a regional accent. There's NO region in USA that doesn't have an accent different from all others. Standard TV American [[taught in announcer schools) seems to be about half way between that of Northern California and Upstate New York. So, not even one of those 2 closest dialects are right on the mark, Upstate New York having a slight "twang" [[especially in Buffalo/Rochester), and northern California having vowels slightly "flatter" than Standard TV American.
    I kid. I kid. By the very definition, every area has a regional dialect. Even if there was a lack of one, it would be different from every other area and consequently, the lack of commonality in speech is in itself a dialect.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 02-06-2017 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    So, that went right over your head, didn't it? LOL.
    I never noticed anything distinctive about the way people talk in Ohio. Just the words and phrases they used. So yeah, I guess it did.

So, it was those country guys who were wearing Jheri curls? Sounds right. LOL.
    Yep!!!!!!!!

I never noticed anything distinctive about the way people talk in Ohio. Just the words and phrases they used. So yeah, I guess it did.
    I hear it. If you ask the name of the capital, if we speak slowly, everybody will say "Columbus Ohio". But in conversation, it is "Kuh-lumbas Ah-hio", like we take shortcuts on pronunciation. I'm sure there are more examples.

I hear it. If you ask the name of the capital, if we speak slowly, everybody will say "Columbus Ohio". But in conversation, it is "Kuh-lumbas Ah-hio", like we take shortcuts on pronunciation. I'm sure there are more examples.
    In Boston they pronounce Ohio as "Oh hiya".

In Boston they pronounce Ohio as "Oh hiya".
    A long time ago, I heard a story about a Midwestern woman who moved to Boston with her husband. She was invited to a dinner party to meet her neighbors where one of the women told her she loved her p-s-d-s. She thanked her, but had no idea what she was talking about. I guess it got mentioned a couple of more times so she finally asked someone what p-s-d-s was and the woman touched her earrings. The dialect was so strong that she couldn't tell that p-s-d-s was how they pronounced "pierced ears".

Everybody has inflections on syllables and words and regional speech rules and words. I watch English and Scottish movies with subtitles because I sometimes can barely understand what's being said.

[[Speaking of which, watch "Peaky Blinders" if you have NetFlix. With the subtitles streaming.)

A long time ago, I heard a story about a Midwestern woman who moved to Boston with her husband. She was invited to a dinner party to meet her neighbors where one of the women told her she loved her p-s-d-s. She thanked her, but had no idea what she was talking about. I guess it got mentioned a couple of more times so she finally asked someone what p-s-d-s was and the woman touched her earrings. The dialect was so strong that she couldn't tell that p-s-d-s was how they pronounced "pierced ears".

Everybody has inflections on syllables and words and regional speech rules and words. I watch English and Scottish movies with subtitles because I sometimes can barely understand what's being said.

[[Speaking of which, watch "Peaky Blinders" if you have NetFlix. With the subtitles streaming.)

I lived in Boston and the accent is THICK! If you have to pay multiple parking tickets, you have to go to the " Poleese Dee Pot Ment"! LOL! They drop the "R" in most words. Go over the State line into Rhode Island and it is entirely different.

If you're buying a coffee be prepared to be asked if you'd like a "coffee regular". LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 02-06-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Marv, this commercial never fails to crack me up:

Marv, this commercial never fails to crack me up:
    Yep! That is exactly how it is sitting around with people I know in Boston! LOL! Here's another example:

"Mah-vin, you seem stressed out. Why don't you git in yo cah, drive up the skreet to the bah and have a bi-er"! LOL!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 02-06-2017 at 05:47 PM.

One other thing. Do NOT make fun of their accent up there. They get made as Hell over it! LOL!

I saw "Black Mass". I ain't laughing at any Irishman from Boston like I'm not laughing at any Italian from Brooklyn.

Except Rudy Giuliani.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  21.1 KB
    Ohio has a twang that's midway between the Chicago twang and Western Pennsylvania twang. But, they sound a little more Midwestern. Upstate New York is the hardest to peg, as it is so close to "TV American".

I saw "Black Mass". I ain't laughing at any Irishman from Boston like I'm not laughing at any Italian from Brooklyn.

Except Rudy Giuliani.
    Living in New York as long as I have, I sound like a Brooklyn Italian guy. After a few drinks, I'm Jamaican all of a sudden! LOL!!!

Views: 339
    Ohio has a twang that's midway between the Chicago twang and Western Pennsylvania twang. But, they sound a little more Midwestern. Upstate New York is the hardest to peg, as it is so close to "TV American".
    People from Southern Ohio sound different from those in Northern Ohio even.

People from Southern Ohio sound different from those in Northern Ohio even.
    I live in Franklin County. People from Licking County [[to our immediate east) have a much different manner of speaking. Of course, Columbus and its suburbs are in Franklin County and there is a lot more transplant influence in cities than in rural areas like Licking County.

I live in Franklin County. People from Licking County [[to our immediate east) have a much different manner of speaking. Of course, Columbus and its suburbs are in Franklin County and there is a lot more transplant influence in cities than in rural areas like Licking County.
    Exactly. My youngest brother lives in Columbus now.

I don't now. But I clearly remember my cousin and I pulling into a gas station in Atlanta and several guys were there with these long Jheri curls. We also went to "Magic City" and to my friends nightclub called "Mr. V's".

I don't now. But I clearly remember my cousin and I pulling into a gas station in Atlanta and several guys were there with these long Jheri curls. We also went to "Magic City" and to my friends nightclub called "Mr. V's".
    Very familiar with Mr. V's. [[Greenbriar Mall) A friend was the General Mgr. If you saw jheri curls there then trust...THEY WERE NOT from the city. LOL

Very familiar with Mr. V's. [[Greenbriar Mall) A friend was the General Mgr. If you saw jheri curls there then trust...THEY WERE NOT from the city. LOL
    My friend that worked there and later owned his own clubs was Ronald Bryant. We grew up together. He passed away several years ago.

Hey remember those[playpen]living room sofas?those things had about twenty pieces and filled your whole room?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey remember those[playpen]living room sofas?those things had about twenty pieces and filled your whole room?
    I don't know if I remember those. Did they have a sectional sofa as a part of them?

Yep,they were huge.

Remember when everything came in glass jars and no plastic,even vaseline.

I remember needing a can opener to a can of pop. You had to put two holes in the lid to let it pour right.

I remember when milk came in glass containers. I use to break one about every week trying to reach up to put it on the counter as a kid. LOL! Oh and all soda came in glass bottles back in the day.

I remember needing a can opener to a can of pop. You had to put two holes in the lid to let it pour right.
    I remember that Jerry and with juice cans.

I remember when milk came in glass containers. I use to break one about every week trying to reach up to put it on the counter as a kid. LOL! Oh and all soda came in glass bottles back in the day.
    Do you remember dropping your lunch box on the school yard or coat room and knowing before checking that your thermos' inner bottle was broke? Those things were super thin. It seemed like the only time that I dropped them was when Mom put something good like orange Hi-C in them.

I used to have a Ringling Brothers lunch box like this one:

Do you remember dropping your lunch box on the school yard or coat room and knowing before checking that your thermos' inner bottle was broke? Those things were super thin. It seemed like the only time that I dropped them was when Mom put something good like orange Hi-C in them.

I used to have a Ringling Brothers lunch box like this one:
    Yeah I knew it because you could hear it. The rattling of broken glass. LOL! I posted a pic of my 4th Grade lunch box on here a while back. I had a red thermos with a black cap/top.

Ok, let me set up a scene. It is somewhere in the sixties, somewhere in America [[or maybe Canada too) and you're a kid on the street playing with your friends, What game are you guys playing when you hear one kid recite this:

"Last night, night before. Twenty-four robbers at my door....."

Views: 265
    Yes! And I even thought of the "pop-top can" in the early '50s. Too bad I didn't draw up the plans and patent it! I'd be a billionaire today.

Yeah I knew it because you could hear it. The rattling of broken glass. LOL! I posted a pic of my 4th Grade lunch box on here a while back. I had a red thermos with a black cap/top.
Views: 263
    I was a brown bagger, but I did have a Hopalong Cassidy lunch box [[we called 'em lunch pails). My little brother was young enough to have a Davy Crockett lunch box. He had the coonskin cap and rifle, too. I had the Red Ryder BB gun. It didn't help at all when a bull moose came into our backyard from the creek.

Views: 283
    Everything was glass and wood. We didn't even know what plastic was when I was a little kid. We still had an ice box in our house, and an old ring washer, and no garbage disposal. I knew people who grew up in Canada without indoor plumbing and using a pot-bellied stove to heat the house. Imagine going outside to the toilet in 50 degrees below zero [[actual temperature - 100 below wind chill) in the middle of the night. You squatted [[Middle and Far Eastern style) rather than sit down on that frozen toilet seat!
    Last edited by robb_k; 02-28-2017 at 01:36 AM.

Okay, who remembers one of these?

Or this?

Views: 265
    Yes! And I even thought of the "pop-top can" in the early '50s. Too bad I didn't draw up the plans and patent it! I'd be a billionaire today.
    and I'd be your best friend! hehehehehehe!

Views: 263
    I was a brown bagger, but I did have a Hopalong Cassidy lunch box [[we called 'em lunch pails). My little brother was young enough to have a Davy Crockett lunch box. He had the coonskin cap and rifle, too. I had the Red Ryder BB gun. It didn't help at all when a bull moose came into our backyard from the creek.
    Robb, we called them lunch pails too or rather my parents did. My brother Danny had 2 BB guns, but we never had mooses in our backyard just a Buckeye tree and a cherry tree. LOL!

Okay, who remembers one of these?

Or this?
    I remember. My Grandma had both.

Ok now, who remembers these:

Attachment 12629

Attachment 12630

Mine too. I can still smell the sheets that she took off her clothes line.

Mine too. I can still smell the sheets that she took off her clothes line.
    I remember running down the rows between them. Simple things made us happy as kids. Maybe we were just dumb compared to kids today. LOL!!!

Attachment 12632
    We had both in our house. My grandmother had a washboard abd a singer sewing machine from the 1900h's.

I still have an old-fashioned wall plug-in phone attached to a land line, with wires coming from a telephone pole located in my neighbour's backyard.

Attachment 12632
    We had both in our house. My grandmother had a washboard abd a singer sewing machine from the 1900h's.

I still have an old-fashioned wall plug-in phone attached to a land line, with wires coming from a telephone pole located in my neighbour's backyard.
    Robb was it the type that had the foot pedal? My Grandma had one those too. She got an electric one later.

Mom and Grandma both had Singer sewing machines. I remember my sister buying Singer patterns from the store and making some of her own clothes. Did any of you have a manual typewriter? You had to press hard to get the keys to strike the ribbon [[which got ink on your fingers while changing unless you were careful).

Did anybody besides me play with Clackers [[Click-Clacks), the most annoying toy from the '70s? They were as pointless as paddle balls.

Mom and Grandma both had Singer sewing machines. I remember my sister buying Singer patterns from the store and making some of her own clothes. Did any of you have a manual typewriter? You had to press hard to get the keys to strike the ribbon [[which got ink on your fingers while changing unless you were careful).
    Yes! We had one of those old manual typewriters . If you messed up, you had start all over until they came out with that magic tape stuff or white out LOL! It was bad, so was the memograph machines. Remember those?

Did anybody besides me play with Clackers [[Click-Clacks), the most annoying toy from the '70s? They were as pointless as paddle balls.

I had those. They quickly went from being a dangerous toy to being a weapon LOL!!!!

I had those. They quickly went from being a dangerous toy to being a weapon LOL!!!!
    What could possibly go wrong with kids playing with glass balls on strings? Those things could give you a concussion with minimal effort.

What could possibly go wrong with kids playing with glass balls on strings? Those things could give you a concussion with minimal effort.
    They use to shatter. There was this story about some kid in America at the time that got pieces of glass in his eye......yeah right! It's like how when some kid found a razor blade in his apple that ended Trick or Treating for us. LOL!