[REMOVE ADS]

Page 25 of 77 FirstFirst ... 15 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 35 75 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jerry was that the Blizzard of '78?
    I think it was two years before. I was in high school for the 1978 storm. Had our high school's rivals done that, it would have been 500 dudes engaged in a full on battle royal.

We used to have those battle royals too..but we used bricks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I think it was two years before. I was in high school for the 1978 storm. Had our high school's rivals done that, it would have been 500 dudes engaged in a full on battle royal.
    We didn't have any schools to fight. Everyone was afraid of us.

It was so rough as a teacher got raped and an assistant principle killed in the same year,and it didn't faze us at all,today you would have counselors all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    It was so rough as a teacher got raped and an assistant principle killed in the same year,and it didn't faze us at all,today you would have counselors all over the place.
    See, that's what I'm saying. You could not intimidate any of the kids I came up with starting in grade school. They'd eat a bully up alive! LOL! The common response to a threat like "I'm getting you after school or I'm going to beat you up" would be ......................" Yeah? when are going to do this?" "How about now or right after school so that everybody can watch" LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 10-26-2016 at 11:30 PM.

Heck in elementary we had this chick who could whip any dude in school,luckily for me we were cool,she would walk me to school and nobody would look at me sideways....hey it wasn't her fault if she was fifteen and in the fifth grade.

Heck in elementary we had this chick who could whip any dude in school,luckily for me we were cool,she would walk me to school and nobody would look at me sideways....hey it wasn't her fault if she was fifteen and in the fifth grade.
    LOL! She sounds like this girl Carla Horton. She wore army brogains, you know the steel toe boots we wore in like 6th grade thru -H.S. She was big, had battle scars and smoked at 13. All the girls were scared of her and half of the guys.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-26-2016 at 11:31 PM.

That reminds me of this tough chick named Lenore from when I was in elementary school. She was tougher than most of the boys. She went with a guy named Don who ate nails and crapped leather. [[Yeah, I said that kids in elementary school were going steady, they were bold little bastards.)

Well, anyway one spring day when we only had two weeks of school remaining, Lenore came back from recess arguing with my friend Carrie. Carrie was the tallest but skinniest girl in school and she was screaming back at Lenore. My sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Hodder, told Carrie "if you're going to talk tough, you might as well do something about it." She thought that normally sweet and quiet Carrie was a punk and that she'd quiet down.

Carrie got up, walked across the room and beat the living $#!? out of Lenore. I never saw anything like it. She beat her like she was Mike Tyson fighting a one legged midget wrestler. Mrs. Hodder absolutely freaked out. When the dust settled, Lenore was suspended but I think Carrie got expelled because she didn't return and she didn't advance to 7th grade in spite of being a very smart girl.

That was messed up.

That reminds me of this tough chick named Lenore from when I was in elementary school. She was tougher than most of the boys. She went with a guy named Don who ate nails and crapped leather. [[Yeah, I said that kids in elementary school were going steady, they were bold little bastards.)

Well, anyway one spring day when we only had two weeks of school remaining, Lenore came back from recess arguing with my friend Carrie. Carrie was the tallest but skinniest girl in school and she was screaming back at Lenore. My sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Hodder, told Carrie "if you're going to talk tough, you might as well do something about it." She thought that normally sweet and quiet Carrie was a punk and that she'd quiet down.

Carrie got up, walked across the room and beat the living $#!? out of Lenore. I never saw anything like it. She beat her like she was Mike Tyson fighting a one legged midget wrestler. Mrs. Hodder absolutely freaked out. When the dust settled, Lenore was suspended but I think Carrie got expelled because she didn't return and she didn't advance to 7th grade in spite of being a very smart girl.

That was messed up.

OMG! LOL! But that is how it was in those days. Kids fought and that usually settled things. There were no guns involved.

We did not have a bulling problem at my school, because no one was going to allow themselves to be bullied. Fights were our weekly entertainment after school, on the way home. There would be crowds of kids following whomever was fighting ,but things never got too out of hand.

I got into fights with my best friend at school once a year from first grade through sixth.

Remember that one little punk who instigated two kids into fighting by putting a pencil on one kid's shoulder and telling the other one to knock it off? "He said that if you knock off, you calling his mom a ho!"

If the other kid didn't do it, the instigator would and then tell the one kid not to let other one get away with it. It was so stupid.

I got into fights with my best friend at school once a year from first grade through sixth.

Remember that one little punk who instigated two kids into fighting by putting a pencil on one kid's shoulder and telling the other one to knock it off? "He said that if you knock off, you calling his mom a ho!"

If the other kid didn't do it, the instigator would and then tell the one kid not to let other one get away with it. It was so stupid.
    Oh I had my first fight starting in Kindergarten. I slapped this boy Robert and his nose bled all over these starched white shirts we had to wear........to the office for a paddling for me. LOL! First Grade this boy Melvin hit me with a snow ball on the way to school, so I jumped 'em. Paddling in the boys room for both of us and the saga continued to the 7 Grade LOL!

Our instigator was Donald Jones. He was like a fight promoter [[keep in mind Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton, were very popular in those days.....). It would either be a pencil or a chalk eraser that got knocked off. Girls fought over if they heard that one girl said something........hehehehehehehe.......

Man, my paddling was in the seventh grade. I can't remember what it was for but Mr. Brown, the vice principal did it. He drilled holes in his paddle so it swung faster and with less resistance. Some boys swore that it whistled before you felt the lick.

Mr. Brown, shop teacher Mr. Tracey, and the gym teacher Mr. Kelly were the three who swung the hardest paddles. One day, the boys were out of control in shop class. Mr. Tracey restored his authority by placing an 18" high metal trash can on a table and smacking it 25 feet across the room with his paddle. That thing was shaped like Pacman when it landed. We were on our best behavior after that!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa...heck yeah those pld principles weren't gonna be intimidated by a bunch of[young punks]as they used to call us,most of those guys were ex military[wwii]..once the school bully went off in class[this guy was built like arnold]and nobody messed with this guy,except our shop teacher who just came in and told the bully to sit his butt down that was the end of it..of course none of us was gonna laugh out loud.

Man, my paddling was in the seventh grade. I can't remember what it was for but Mr. Brown, the vice principal did it. He drilled holes in his paddle so it swung faster and with less resistance. Some boys swore that it whistled before you felt the lick.

Mr. Brown, shop teacher Mr. Tracey, and the gym teacher Mr. Kelly were the three who swung the hardest paddles. One day, the boys were out of control in shop class. Mr. Tracey restored his authority by placing an 18" high metal trash can on a table and smacking it 25 feet across the room with his paddle. That thing was shaped like Pacman when it landed. We were on our best behavior after that!
    My worst one came in the fifth grade! This girl lied and said I was running around the desks while we were using India Ink in art class. My art class teacher went next door and got Mr. Coffman. Ugh! He was 6'6" blonde and had the personality of Lurch from the Addams Family. He was the boys Industrial Arts teacher so he made his own paddle that was about an inch thick with holes drilled in it. I had to go into the storage closet and that bastard went back like he was hitting a home run and BAM! Dust came out of my pants and all the blood rush to my face but I didn't dare cry. LOL!!!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 10-27-2016 at 02:57 PM.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa...heck yeah those pld principles weren't gonna be intimidated by a bunch of[young punks]as they used to call us,most of those guys were ex military[wwii]..once the school bully went off in class[this guy was built like arnold]and nobody messed with this guy,except our shop teacher who just came in and told the bully to sit his butt down that was the end of it..of course none of us was gonna laugh out loud.
    Oh JAI my favorite Asst. Principal in those days was Mr. Robert Jackson! He was so cool, slick, dressed like a model [[sharp as a tack!) and had this real cool voice. He was a role model for all of the boys and all of the girls had a crush on him. He passed away last year, but the things he taught us are still with me to this day.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-27-2016 at 03:14 PM.

I hear ya ,marv ,my baseball coach[coach smith]was so cool[drove a red el dorodo]we thought that he was a pimp...just cool but there was always one male and one female teacher like that.

I hear ya ,marv ,my baseball coach[coach smith]was so cool[drove a red el dorodo]we thought that he was a pimp...just cool but there was always one male and one female teacher like that.
    Yep, Mr. Jackson would have made a great pimp, but he was educated and dedicated to us kids.

You I wished I had the opportunity to find all my old teachers and professors that are still living and just say thanks.

My best friend's nephew is playing in the World Series for Cleveland. He is First Baseman, Mike Napoli. I've known him since he was 14 and growing up on Long Island!

you i wished i had the opportunity to find all my old teachers and professors that are still living and just say thanks.
    me too marv,me too,god bless em all!!!

I feel that way for some but probably not all of them. I remember my tenth grade English teacher, Mrs. Boots. She was a very large but also a very nice woman and I loved being in her class. My high school started admitting 9th graders the year after I graduated. One day, I asked a friend how things were going and felt horrible to learn that a couple of those young punks knocked her down while running down the hallway and broke her hip. I felt horrible when I heard about it. I think she retired soon after that.

Remember when we thought that nothing would replace the electric typewriter?

I remember going out with my guys the night before I had to turn in a four page final essay in college in 1988. In my warped logic, since I could type 40+ words per minute, it should take me about 20 minutes to type the essay. I didn't account for composing it or how long it took to correct errors on our typewriter. I got home at 3:00am and finished the paper just before going to work at 8:00am. I dragged through my job that day and fell asleep in class right after turning the paper in.

Fast forward to 2012 when I went back to college. I graduated with my MBA with a 3.85 GPA. Most of that is because I had the internet and a computer instead of just books and a typewriter. No white out. No balled up papers in the trash can. No lack of sleep. Just me and Buck Rogers flying to class in our rocket cars.

I feel that way for some but probably not all of them. I remember my tenth grade English teacher, Mrs. Boots. She was a very large but also a very nice woman and I loved being in her class. My high school started admitting 9th graders the year after I graduated. One day, I asked a friend how things were going and felt horrible to learn that a couple of those young punks knocked her down while running down the hallway and broke her hip. I felt horrible when I heard about it. I think she retired soon after that.
    I always wondered why it was that way in some cities. For us, elementary school went from K-8th, high school was 9-12th grades.

I remember going out with my guys the night before I had to turn in a four page final essay in college in 1988. In my warped logic, since I could type 40+ words per minute, it should take me about 20 minutes to type the essay. I didn't account for composing it or how long it took to correct errors on our typewriter. I got home at 3:00am and finished the paper just before going to work at 8:00am. I dragged through my job that day and fell asleep in class right after turning the paper in.

Fast forward to 2012 when I went back to college. I graduated with my MBA with a 3.85 GPA. Most of that is because I had the internet and a computer instead of just books and a typewriter. No white out. No balled up papers in the trash can. No lack of sleep. Just me and Buck Rogers flying to class in our rocket cars.
    Jerry you sound so much like me. I went back in 2001 for my MBA with a GPA of 3.70. We had the internet by then so there was little need to spend nights in the library.

You guys are brainiacs,heck i went in for my diploma..and after everyone in the front office stopped laughing,they told me it would be in the mail.

I always wondered why it was that way in some cities. For us, elementary school went from K-8th, high school was 9-12th grades.
    We went from having an elementary-junior high-senior high set up to an elementary-middle school-high school set up the year after I graduated. Junior high was 7th thru 9th grades. Middle school is 6th thru 8th grade.

Man, I'm so glad I didn't have to go to high school in the ninth grade.

Jerry you sound so much like me. I went back in 2001 for my MBA with a GPA of 3.70. We had the internet by then so there was little need to spend nights in the library.
    I was mad that I put all that effort into it and found out that you need a 3.90 to graduate with honors. I had one sweet young lady in my classes that I helped a couple of times and she wound up getting a ribbon for graduating with a 3.95 and I didn't. I had one more "B" than I could afford and still get one.

We went from having an elementary-junior high-senior high set up to an elementary-middle school-high school set up the year after I graduated. Junior high was 7th thru 9th grades. Middle school is 6th thru 8th grade.

Man, I'm so glad I didn't have to go to high school in the ninth grade.
    I need to make a correction. Jr. High was 7th -8th Grade for us.

I was mad that I put all that effort into it and found out that you need a 3.90 to graduate with honors. I had one sweet young lady in my classes that I helped a couple of times and she wound up getting a ribbon for graduating with a 3.95 and I didn't. I had one more "B" than I could afford and still get one.
    I know what you mean. In a way, I enjoyed Graduate School more because there were times we worked in teams on projects. It was hell working on my dissertation, but I did very well. I did not have a social life for 2 solid years.

I know what you mean. In a way, I enjoyed Graduate School more because there were times we worked in teams on projects. It was hell working on my dissertation, but I did very well. I did not have a social life for 2 solid years.
    Man, I loved working with the teams. I met so many good people, old and young, Black, White, and Asian who made graduate school a great experience. I looked forward to the next classes as soon as the previous ones ended. I knowingly put my social life on hold for the two years it took me as well.

The biggest thing that helped me with graduate school was knowing that I should have done better as an undergrad. LOL. My two best friends in college were my cousins Tony and Lloyd. They drank like fish, so they wanted me to drive them to the clubs because I didn't drink nearly as much. We went out at least five days a week. I would go to work at 8:00am, walk to school at 5:40pm, and catch the bus home at 10:00pm four days a week. At 10:30pm, the phone would ring and by 11:30pm, we'd be out getting down. I'd have them home by 2:00am, be in bed by 3:00am, wake up at 7:00am to do it all over again.

I was so stupid, I could have easily averaged an "A" but got out with a 3.42 GPA. To make it worse, when I graduated, I called them up, wanting to go out and they shot me down saying they then had jobs and couldn't stay out all night.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  21.1 KB
    It was pretty much the same with us back in the '50s. We had fights after school many days. They were fairly innocent. We didn't have guns, and were to young to use tire [[spelled "tyre" back in those days) chains and brass knuckles, like theolder teen bad guys [[future criminal "bad guys") did. Most of the time nobody got hurt badly [[maybe a few bruises).

My elementary school principle took his belt of and whipped boys, when they were sent to him. If parents didn't want their kids whipped, they were told to get them to behave, or enroll them in a private school [[where the punishments were even more severe). In junior high school, badly behaved kids were sent to the toughest Phys. Ed. teacher for a paddling with a wood paddle [[complete with the standard drilled holes to avoid any wind resistance). In our junior high, the swatter was an ex CFL lineman, who weighed about 250 lb, and was super strong. After getting swats from him, you couldn't sit down for a week without seeing stars. You had to carry around your own pillow!

Talking about shop teachers..... my electric shop teacher was an extreme sadist. Using the excuse of "teaching the kids about the dangers of electricity", he got his jollies sending way too many volts of electricity through the body of every boy in each class of his. He'd line them up and shock them, and sit and laugh when their bodies would gyrate in pain. I still remember that evil grin on his face while he watched us suffer.

All those official "punishers" would go directly to prison if they performed those actions now. But, in the '40s, '50s and '60s that's the way misbehaving in school was handled.
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-29-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Views: 264
    Speaking of school punishments, my sister told me that her Kindergarten teacher, a 70 year old biddy, didn't like boys. She used to punish many of them, often, placing them under her grand piano, and then banging down hard on the keys, and then "allowed their eardrums to recover", while they had to bear the shame of sitting inside the girls' Doll House, while being laughed at and ridiculed. That would be termed both physical and mental [[verbal) abuse, today.

I skipped Kindergarten, starting 1st Grade at 5. So, luckily, I missed those "niceties".

Good Lord... And I thought things were bad for us. The trip from classroom to the principal's office was a long one. The only trip that took that long to navigate was the one your mom sent you on to find an appropriate switch.

Good Lord... And I thought things were bad for us. The trip from classroom to the principal's office was a long one. The only trip that took that long to navigate was the one your mom sent you on to find an appropriate switch.
    Attachment 11932
    I was in public school [[where kids were treated "relatively moderately". We had it easy compared to the Catholic School kids. You could always tell who was a Catholic School kid by looking at their knuckles. If they were bruised black and blue [[from being hit with rulers), the odds were they were Catholic School kids. They were meaner, on average, because of the severity of their corporal punishment. I bet that a lot of their rear ends were black and blue, too.

Remember when we would help a neighbor's mother-grandmother with their groceries if we saw them with their bags?

Remember when you couldn't act bad out on the street because you knew the neighbors would call your folks and tell on you? Now, if the neighbor calls a parent, there's likely to be a shoot out because people don't want folks talking bad about their brats.

Ain't it the truth jerry...ain't it the truth!!!

Remember when we would help a neighbor's mother-grandmother with their groceries if we saw them with their bags?
    Yeah, the milk came in glass containers in those days and I always managed to break it.

LOL. I didn't break milk bottles but I broke those cheap little bottles in my lunch bucket's Thermos every other week. All it took was to drop it on the playground or coat room and my Hi-C was history.

Views: 251
    Remember when The Cubs were losers?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Don't even go there......................

Well played, Robb. Well played indeed.

The cubs killed me in[69]i'm glad they finally did it,i think about the great ernie banks and all the years he gave em.

The cubs killed me in[69]i'm glad they finally did it,i think about the great ernie banks and all the years he gave em.
Views: 257
    They killed me EVERY YEAR from 1950 through last season. They won their last pennant before I was 70 years old the year before I was born[[1945). But, I watched hundreds of games for 25¢ and, mostly 50¢ in Wrigley Field's bleachers during the 1950s.

Too Bad Harry Caray didn't live to see this. And, the curse still operated, as Ernie Banks lived to 84 years of age, and wouldn't you know it, The Cubs win the Pennant and World Series the very next year after he passes on! Fate is often cruel. But, at least, Cuno Barragon survived to witness it.

Well, at least it happened in MY own lifetime.

Now we need World Peace, a switch to 100% clean energy, voluntary limitation on children to 1 or 0, and lower Earth's Human population to 500 million within 50 years, and only 100 million within 100 years, all Earth's roofs painted white, and Global Warming neutralised.....etc., etc.

And "The Afterlife" being a really good place, making up for this struggle of a life on Earth.

Last edited by robb_k; 11-03-2016 at 10:28 PM.

Hey robb,i'm voting for you,hehehehehe!!!

Hey robb,i'm voting for you,hehehehehe!!!
Views: 415
    I'd be better than Trump. But, then, ALL of us would!!! Even a one-celled animal would be.
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-04-2016 at 10:35 PM.

Great thread and don't even get me started but that phone thing has got to be my biggest pet peeve of ALL TIMES. Heck, I still use a flip phone and PROUD OF IT!

Views: 257
    They killed me EVERY YEAR from 1950 through last season. They won their last pennant before I was 70 years old the year before I was born[[1945). But, I watched hundreds of games for 25¢ and, mostly 50¢ in Wrigley Field's bleachers during the 1950s.

Too Bad Harry Caray didn't live to see this. And, the curse still operated, as Ernie Banks lived to 84 years of age, and wouldn't you know it, The Cubs win the Pennant and World Series the very next year after he passes on! Fate is often cruel. But, at least, Cuno Barragon survived to witness it.

Well, at least it happened in MY own lifetime.

Now we need World Peace, a switch to 100% clean energy, voluntary limitation on children to 1 or 0, and lower Earth's Human population to 500 million within 50 years, and only 100 million within 100 years, all Earth's roofs painted white, and Global Warming neutralised.....etc., etc.

And "The Afterlife" being a really good place, making up for this struggle of a life on Earth.

It is kind of sad that Harry Carey could not be there to see it, but something tells me he knows about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ms_m View Post
    Great thread and don't even get me started but that phone thing has got to be my biggest pet peeve of ALL TIMES. Heck, I still use a flip phone and PROUD OF IT!
    I have a flip phone for practical purposes. None of the kids would want to steal it. If I left it on the train, someone will bring it back to me. LOL!