[REMOVE ADS]

Page 29 of 77 FirstFirst ... 19 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 39 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Remember when vocal groups wore suits instead of baseball caps, jeans, and tennis shoes? Even gospel singers get up their with sagging pants nowadays.

Does anybody remember blowing up a balloon to a little less than full and tying it onto your bike so the tire spokes can hit it so it sounded like a motorcycle?

And for that matter, who remembers Stingray bikes? They were so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Does anybody remember blowing up a balloon to a little less than full and tying it onto your bike so the tire spokes can hit it so it sounded like a motorcycle?

And for that matter, who remembers Stingray bikes? They were so cool.
    I had a gold stingray.

Remember riding or giving a ride and the kid in the back had to hold onto the bar at the back of the seat? Or lean away from a turn together so you didn't have to slow down at a corner? Or keep his or her legs kicked out so you had balance?

Remember riding or giving a ride and the kid in the back had to hold onto the bar at the back of the seat? Or lean away from a turn together so you didn't have to slow down at a corner? Or keep his or her legs kicked out so you had balance?

I remember my brother Robert and I doing that. I also remember riding on the handle bars to baseball practice.

That was scary. I did it a few times and my little heart was in my throat. You can't be scared in front of your dude, though...

I only rode girls on my bike,and right up front,hehe.

It put your manhood in check to ride on the back of a bike with a dude, to be sure. I liked riding girls behind me because they would wrap their arms around me as we rode.

I could say what happened when they rode up front,but this is a family show.

Remember when[jazz]artist just played their instruments and didn't try to sing??

Remember when vocal groups wore suits instead of baseball caps, jeans, and tennis shoes? Even gospel singers get up their with sagging pants nowadays.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  21.1 KB
    Even George Clinton's Parliaments had short haircuts with lots of grease, and wore conservative suits and ties!
    Last edited by robb_k; 01-30-2017 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I had a gold stingray.
Views: 285
    Ha! Ha! I remember young kids having those, long after I became an adult. I'm so old that in my youth, a "Brodie" was the guy [[Steve Brodie) that committed suicide by jumping off The Brooklyn Bridge in 1889!

When I was a kid, I had a 24-inch heavy Schwinn clunker in Winnipeg, and a [[roughly)30-inch classic tall Dutch bike in Den Haag. The latter was heavy as an anvil, and I had to carry it up and down 8 flights of stairs [[4 stories), starting in the late 1970s, when people started stealing bikes parked and locked in the bicycle racks on the streets. When I was a kid [[in the 1950s and early '60s), you could leave them on the street unlocked, and no one would take them.

It put your manhood in check to ride on the back of a bike with a dude, to be sure. I liked riding girls behind me because they would wrap their arms around me as we rode.
Views: 267
    Same thing on a motor scooter and sled!

Views: 267
    Yep! I do!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Wasn't Mickey Dolenz, who later became a member of the Monkees. in that?
Views: 269
    Yes, he was one of the stars. He WAS The Circus Boy. He was a decent drummer, too. But I didn't like his singing. I bought a few of his solo records. But they were not good. I hated The Monkees. And THEY were the reason Goffin and King stopped writing those great girls group songs. Colpix had some stupid execs.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 284
    Even George Clinton's Parliaments had short haircuts with lots of grease, and wore conservative suits and ties!
    I remember Robb. Back in their "I Just Want to Testify" days! LOL!!!

Remember when girls had names like...deborah-denise-gloria-sheila-marsha-ann-barbara-betty...in other words names that were easy to remember and pronouce.

You mean before apostrophes were used in names? D'Aaron, D'Juan, T'Neisha. It was bad enough with the little 'e's [[DeAaron, DeJuan, TeNeisha) but they had to get lazy and take a letter out. I remember.

Remember when a dude wouldn't be caught dead in a[pink]anything?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Remember when a dude wouldn't be caught dead in a[pink]anything?
    Yep or yellow LOL~ Strange though, in the 80s we called pink or yellow neckties, "power ties".

Hey marv,wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day,if a dude wore a red shirt he was labeled[bama]remember the time?

You don't hear names like 'Bama' and 'Redbone' much any more. You might still hear somebody toss out a 'high yella' or 'bougie' about somebody, but it'll be behind the person they're talking about's back. And thank God, I may never hear 'blurple' ever again. Such ignorant and mean words.

The funny thing is, all of us fell into one category or another and subject to being called something.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...jerry you're right,i haven't heard[redbone]in years,of course it just meant a lightskinned girl and back in the day for a guy to date one it was a badge of honor,it was just the times we lived in.

Anybody remember when a plump person was described as 'healthy'? I mean, WTF is healthy about that? And if it was someone you liked, you defended them by telling people that they were just 'big boneded'.

Hah! I love my people! There is soooo much more to being Black than being brown.

You know jerry,they later called it[ebonics]but it was just black folks talking to each other.

You don't hear names like 'Bama' and 'Redbone' much any more. You might still hear somebody toss out a 'high yella' or 'bougie' about somebody, but it'll be behind the person they're talking about's back. And thank God, I may never hear 'blurple' ever again. Such ignorant and mean words.

The funny thing is, all of us fell into one category or another and subject to being called something.
    You don't here "Geechie" anymore either.

Hey marv,wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day,if a dude wore a red shirt he was labeled[bama]remember the time?
    Yep! People called people that recently moved North from Down South..."Bama" LOL!

You know jerry,they later called it[ebonics]but it was just black folks talking to each other.
    That was the Oakland school system trying to trick the federal government out of money that was provided for schools who has kids who spoke foreign languages. They couldn't teach the kids proper English, so they might as well be rewarded for it.

In my neck of the woods, Northerners who came South and called us Bama, got their butts kicked. Many times by their own relatives including their aunts, uncles and grandmother's.

I believe the word geechie started to fade away after the movie Daughter's of the Dust. I think when many people realized it was a word associated with a people of a very rich and historical culture [[The Gullah people in the Low Country of South Carolina and Georgia) the taunt lost it's power and sting.

Blurple is one I never heard, I'm afraid to ask what that meant.

Quote Originally Posted by ms_m View Post
    In my neck of the woods, Northerners who came South and called us Bama, got their butts kicked. Many times by their own relatives including their aunts, uncles and grandmother's.

I believe the word geechie started to fade away after the movie Daughter's of the Dust. I think when many people realized it was a word associated with a people of a very rich and historical culture [[The Gullah people in the Low Country of South Carolina and Georgia) the taunt lost it's power and sting.

Blurple is one I never heard, I'm afraid to ask what that meant.
    "Look at that n*****. He's so Black, he's purple." Unfortunately, I heard this a few times as a youth. As if Blackness in any shade can be a problem.

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge." Hosea 4:6

Well,they should have if they were stupid enough to disrespect ya'll in your home...now having said that let me say this if some dude came up here[d.c.]with a pair of those[pointy toe roach killers]and[those striped shirts with the buttons on the side]he was a cold bama,hehe that's just the way it was.

Well,they should have if they were stupid enough to disrespect ya'll in your home...now having said that let me say this if some dude came up here[d.c.]with a pair of those[pointy toe roach killers]and[those striped shirts with the buttons on the side]he was a cold bama,hehe that's just the way it was.
    Did B-Moe folk get the same treatment.? I'm just saying. hehe

"Look at that n*****. He's so Black, he's purple." Unfortunately, I heard this a few times as a youth. As if Blackness in any shade can be a problem.

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge." Hosea 4:6

When I was in Elementary school, someone called a kid black and the teacher pulled out a sheet of black construction paper. She placed it next to the kid and said, this piece of paper is black, Michael is not. [[Although dark he wasn't anywhere close to the color of the construction paper). Never heard the word uttered about a person again in that particular classroom.

There's something to be said about going to an all Black school.

When I was in Elementary school, someone called a kid black and the teacher pulled out a sheet of black construction paper. She placed it next to the kid and said, this piece of paper is black, Michael is not. [[Although dark he wasn't anywhere close to the color of the construction paper). Never heard the word uttered about a person again in that particular classroom.

There's something to be said about going to an all Black school.
Views: 231
    We could do the same thing with a pure white sheet of paper and a so-called "Caucasian" and have a similar result. "Whites" are only really white when they've had all their blood sucked out or are really scared.

did b-moe folk get the same treatment.? I'm just saying. Hehe
    yes they were cold bamas,hehe.

We could do the same thing with a pure white sheet of paper and a so-called "Caucasian" and have a similar result. "Whites" are only really white when they've had all their blood sucked out or are really scared.
    This is true Robb K but you have to look at this issue in context. When I was growing up being called black was a negative thing. I don't recall any Caucasians being upset because they were called white. Once the late 60's and 70's rolled around people of African ethnicity begin to embrace the term [[Black) but it took a long time coming to see the moniker in a positive light.
    Last edited by ms_m; 02-04-2017 at 05:02 PM.

yes they were cold bamas,hehe.
    I never resorted to the word bama but "country" did pass my lips.....LOL

The biggest pet peeve for me back in the day was many Northerners assumed everyone in the south lived on a farm in the backwoods. Many of us grew up and lived in a city like everyone else. Our cities may not have been as large and congested but it was a city with arts and a thriving classy/sophisticated culture just the same.

Yep we used[country]too,city kids always think their're cooler than anyone else we didn't know any better and the kicker is that most of our relatives were[country folk].

But the word[bama]was used on anybody,including me for the time in jr.high when i couldn't find a pair of chucks so i settled for a pair of[bata bulletts-remember those?]they looked cool enough but the gang let me have it full blast,i wanted to take em back but moms didn't play that luckily i had anothe r pair of tennis and i buried those things deep in the closet.

My friend Frank's father in law was really white after he died. People complained they did not do a make up job on him. I knew 3 brothers that were all Albino's they were African Americans but their skin was pure white.

I never resorted to the word bama but "country" did pass my lips.....LOL

The biggest pet peeve for me back in the day was many Northerners assumed everyone in the south lived on a farm in the backwoods. Many of us grew up and lived in a city like everyone else. Our cities may not have been as large and congested but it was a city with arts and a thriving classy/sophisticated culture just the same.
    I moved to Memphis in 1994. I was shocked to see Jheri curls and gold teeth were still the fashion choice of many of the men [[young and old) so far past the '80s. It was like I was in a real world enactment of "Boyz N Da Hood" except for the language difference. It took a month or so to figure out what they were saying and when I finally got it, it made no sense. "I'm finnin to quit this job, y'all." [[Spoken at literally half the cadence of how we spoke up north.)

I moved to Memphis in 1994. I was shocked to see Jheri curls and gold teeth were still the fashion choice of many of the men [[young and old) so far past the '80s. It was like I was in a real world enactment of "Boyz N Da Hood" except for the language difference. It took a month or so to figure out what they were saying and when I finally got it, it made no sense. "I'm finnin to quit this job, y'all." [[Spoken at literally half the cadence of how we spoke up north.)

I had a friend who use to say zink instead of sink. That and the way she would massacre the word orange drove me crazy. However, I've heard quite a few Westerners, Easterners and Northerners butcher the English language so it's not all about living in the South. Different dialects and different strokes can be found all over this land.

Yep we used[country]too,city kids always think their're cooler than anyone else we didn't know any better and the kicker is that most of our relatives were[country folk].
    I have to agree with that one. City kids did [[and probably still do) tend to have " snooty attitudes." LOL

I had a friend who use to say zink instead of sink. That and the way she would massacre the word orange drove me crazy. However, I've heard quite a few Westerners, Easterners and Northerners butcher the English language so it's not all about living in the South. Different dialects and different strokes can be found all over this land.
    Curiously, I find that my area is the only one that doesn't have a regional dialect.

I have to agree with that one. City kids did [[and probably still do) tend to have " snooty attitudes." LOL
    Just an act. Most city kids from our generation had parents who were "country". And city boys would go nuts when Southern girls came up on vacation. Something about the way they talk and carried themselves was exciting. That attitude was jealousy.

Curiously, I find that my area is the only one that doesn't have a regional dialect.
    That may be true but I bet they use words and phrases people in other areas don't. Example, I always say soda but a friend from Cleveland uses the word pop. Or what about the word Houston...in New York they pronounce the street of the same name as Houseton...

Jerry I had a Jheri curl from roughly 1981 to mid 1983. I went to Atlanta in 1993 around my birthday and there were guys walking around with Jheri curls some 10 years after we stopped. LOL!!!!

That may be true but I bet they use words and phrases people in other areas don't. Example, I always say soda but a friend from Cleveland uses the word pop. Or what about the word Houston...in New York they pronounce the street of the same name as Houseton...
    I think Jerry was joking when he said his "Area" is the only one without a regional accent. There's NO region in USA that doesn't have an accent different from all others. Standard TV American [[taught in announcer schools) seems to be about half way between that of Northern California and Upstate New York. So, not even one of those 2 closest dialects are right on the mark, Upstate New York having a slight "twang" [[especially in Buffalo/Rochester), and northern California having vowels slightly "flatter" than Standard TV American.

I think Jerry was joking when he said his "Area" is the only one without a regional accent. There's NO region in USA that doesn't have an accent different from all others. Standard TV American [[taught in announcer schools) seems to be about half way between that of Northern California and Upstate New York. So, not even one of those 2 closest dialects are right on the mark, Upstate New York having a slight "twang" [[especially in Buffalo/Rochester), and northern California having vowels slightly "flatter" than Standard TV American.
    When I'm home for long periods of time, I never notice the accent from local TV announcers but if I've been away a while, that Southern twang hits me like a ton of bricks. I guess they go to the Southern version of announcer school. LOL

When I'm home for long periods of time, I never notice the accent from local TV announcers but if I've been away a while, that Southern twang hits me like a ton of bricks. I guess they go to the Southern version of announcer school. LOL
    I, too, was raised in the Deep South and transplanted to New England about 29 years ago and am now a New Yorker. One of my sisters has lived in Minneapolis for most of her adult life after our Southern upbringing. We had a hilarious moment one Christmas back home about 20 years ago. We were shopping for our parents at a supermarket deli. The vivacious deli worker said, " Hah! Hi kin Ah he'p y'awwwl?" My sister was frozen in shock for about 10 seconds; she finally got it together enough to place our parents' order. When the worker went away, my sister grabbed me and said, "Lord, I'm thinking I'm still in Minneapolis! That accent threw me all the WAY off!" LMAO!