[REMOVE ADS]

Page 14 of 77 FirstFirst ... 4 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Tamara Dobson aka Cleopatra Jones. Six feet and bad.

Totally. She was one of our top pin up girls.

Don't forget the ABC knockoff series "Get Christie Love". She called everybody 'Sugar'. I think she was the only person of color on the show.

Don't forget the ABC knockoff series "Get Christie Love". She called everybody 'Sugar'. I think she was the only person of color on the show.

I was thinking of her when Tamara Dobson came up. I liked Teresa Graves all the way back to her Laugh-In days. I was saddened by her tragic passing.

You know, I had forgotten that she died. She was my third television crush after Denise Nicholas and Karen Valentine in "Room 222". I used to like Diahann Carroll in "Julia", too.

You know, I had forgotten that she died. She was my third television crush after Denise Nicholas and Karen Valentine in "Room 222". I used to like Diahann Carroll in "Julia", too.
    Denise Nicholas was right up there.......on the bedroom wall with Mary Wilson and Freda Payne in the early 70s! LOL! Whew! She was another Detroit girl.

Diahann Carroll, Nancy Wilson, Dionne Warwick, Barbara McNair and them would have been more of my Dad's speed.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Attachment 10799
    We walked or rode our bikes, to the movie show. It cost 25¢ for all day Saturday matinee. They played several feature films, and showed lots of serial shorts and cartoons. We brought our own food from home inside.
    We lived across from a drive-in with a relatively low fence, with the screen facing us. We used to have a big kid sneak in and turn the speakers up.

Remember when Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade looked like this on TV?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Diahann Carroll, Nancy Wilson, Dionne Warwick, Barbara McNair and them would have been more of my Dad's speed.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  21.1 KB
    I liked Diahann Carroll's looks very much, but not Barbara McNair, Nor Dionne Warwick. Actually, Dionne looked a bit evil, especially with her eyebrows slanted the way they were. Her sister Dee Dee [[who I got to know-as she was a good friend of one of my Airwave Records partners) was quite a nice person, and very good looking, too. And she sang just like an angel, just like Dionne. I often dreamed of having someone like that sing me to sleep. I thought Brenda Holloway looked very beautiful [[and she also sang like an angel). As far as movie stars go, I liked Natalie Wood's looks, and Anita Ekberg, and Brigitte Bardot.

Karen Valentine was my crush!

Views: 386
    I liked Diahann Carroll's looks very much, but not Barbara McNair, Nor Dionne Warwick. Actually, Dionne looked a bit evil, especially with her eyebrows slanted the way they were. Her sister Dee Dee [[who I got to know-as she was a good friend of one of my Airwave Records partners) was quite a nice person, and very good looking, too. And she sang just like an angel, just like Dionne. I often dreamed of having someone like that sing me to sleep. I thought Brenda Holloway looked very beautiful [[and she also sang like an angel). As far as movie stars go, I liked Natalie Wood's looks, and Anita Ekberg, and Brigitte Bardot.
    I loved Diahann Carroll. A very goodlooking woman she seemed too mature for a guy of my age at that time. I may have been around the same age as her television son Corey.. LOL! I loved Patty Duke, The Petticoat Junction sisters, Eartha Kitt as Catwoman and Raquel Welch as that cavewoman she played LOL!

Views: 369
    I guess there were probably actresses whose looks I liked better than those I listed above. I didn't care all that much for Carol Lombard or Marilyn Monroe, or Elizabeth Taylor or Kim Novak. I did like Audrey Hepburn. I didn't put pin-up pictures of women all over my walls, but I did look at "Playboy". The pictures on my walls were hockey players.

Views: 369
    I guess there were probably actresses whose looks I liked better than those I listed above. I didn't care all that much for Carol Lombard or Marilyn Monroe, or Elizabeth Taylor or Kim Novak. I did like Audrey Hepburn. I didn't put pin-up pictures of women all over my walls, but I did look at "Playboy". The pictures on my walls were hockey players.
    I have an autographed 8X11 color pic of Bobby Orr!

I loved Diahann Carroll. A very goodlooking woman she seemed too mature for a guy of my age at that time. I may have been around the same age as her television son Corey.. LOL! I loved Patty Duke, The Petticoat Junction sisters, Eartha Kitt as Catwoman and Raquel Welch as that cavewoman she played LOL!
    LOL! I used to identify with Corey Baker from 'Julia', the only little Black kid on TV. And I think my first naughty thoughts in life came from the opening of 'Petticoat Junction' when Bobbi Jo, Billie Jo, and Betty Jo were bathing in the water tower.

LOL! I used to identify with Corey Baker from 'Julia', the only little Black kid on TV. And I think my first naughty thoughts in life came from the opening of 'Petticoat Junction' when Bobbi Jo, Billie Jo, and Betty Jo were bathing in the water tower.
    hehehehehehehehe....see I knew I wasn't the only one!

HECK,AFTER A COUPLE HITS OF THIS WONDERFUL ELIXUR[it's good for tv]GRANNY OF THE HILLBILLIES LOOKS PRETTY GOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    HECK,AFTER A COUPLE HITS OF THIS WONDERFUL ELIXUR[it's good for tv]GRANNY OF THE HILLBILLIES LOOKS PRETTY GOOD.
    Stop drinking now!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Stop drinking now!
    but it's the holidya weekend LOL!

I saw this today. check this out;

http://www.answers.com/article/12773...ram1=344366026

but it's the holidya weekend LOL!
    But when you start talking about granny looking good, you've overdone it!

But when you start talking about granny looking good, you've overdone it!
    Ok I'm with you on that one! LOL@!!!

YOU TWO DON'T KNOW THE POWER OF JUST ONE SIP...[is granny in a thong??]

Remember when people in their 40s looked as old as people in their 60s look today? And for that matter, when people were okay with aging gracefully instead of using gallons of hair color combined with Botox and multiple face lifts and cosmetic procedures to try to hang on. This is mostly women, by the way. Not one of them over 40 has her old nose.

I remember when grandparents in their 60s looked very old and most of them were dying in their '60s. I'm just about 70, and I expect to live at least into my mid 90s, if not reach 100 or so. My best friend's mother just died at 105. My father died last year at 94. His father died at 94, and his mother at 97 [[but she could have lived another 7-8 years 9she was still walking 3 miles a day, and had her mind completely intact, but she stopped eating, as The World hasd gotten to weird for her, and every time she would make a new friend, the friend would die. My father's sister just died at 99, and his other sisters still alive at 96. My Mother's mother was 94 when she died, and my mother was 87, but she could have lived to 95 if he hadn't decided just to lie in bed and sleep at 78 [[she did that for her last 9 years. So, I expect to live to 100. I never smoked, I don't drink spirits [[just some wine when people serve it and I am invited), I lift weights every day and still run, swim and ice skate a little).

Remember when people in their 40s looked as old as people in their 60s look today? And for that matter, when people were okay with aging gracefully instead of using gallons of hair color combined with Botox and multiple face lifts and cosmetic procedures to try to hang on. This is mostly women, by the way. Not one of them over 40 has her old nose.
    These days I see lots of men doing the same things to look young. Today, it has nothing to do with being a woman.

These days I see lots of men doing the same things to look young. Today, it has nothing to do with being a woman.
    That's true enough. It bothers me that a lot of local news channels have 40-50ish men working alongside much younger women, who in some cases could be cover girls. Women are treated much differently by media producers than guys are and under a lot of pressure to keep their window of opportunity open for more than 15 years when men can stay relevant [[and paid well) for 30 years or more. It's my opinion and very general, but that's why so many women make alterations to their appearances, especially in their 30s.

Then again, you have the Kenny Rogers, Mickey Rourke, and David Hasselhoffs of the world who ridiculously try to hang on to their younger days by having significant facial surgeries. I'll leave out John Travolta's horrible wig and the obvious hair dye that other male actors employ. Thank goodness Steve Harvey shaved his head instead of continuing to wear his toupee.

Then again, you have the Kenny Rogers, Mickey Rourke, and David Hasselhoffs of the world who ridiculously try to hang on to their younger days by having significant facial surgeries. I'll leave out John Travolta's horrible wig and the obvious hair dye that other male actors employ. Thank goodness Steve Harvey shaved his head instead of continuing to wear his toupee.
    Much better to eat less, eat healthy, exercise a lot, and lifts weights to keep muscle, and you will look better than being out-of-shape and doing funny things with your skin and hair color to try to look "young".

That's true enough. It bothers me that a lot of local news channels have 40-50ish men working alongside much younger women, who in some cases could be cover girls. Women are treated much differently by media producers than guys are and under a lot of pressure to keep their window of opportunity open for more than 15 years when men can stay relevant [[and paid well) for 30 years or more. It's my opinion and very general, but that's why so many women make alterations to their appearances, especially in their 30s.

Maybe it's regional. Out here, you see many older women, some not so attractive side by side younger men.

A WOMAN TO ME CAN BE FINE AS CAN BE AND HAVE LIPS AS SWEET AS HONEY,BUT A WOMAN DON'T MEAN A THING TO ME IF SHE AIN'T GOT NO MONEY...[hehehehehehehe!!!]

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    A WOMAN TO ME CAN BE FINE AS CAN BE AND HAVE LIPS AS SWEET AS HONEY,BUT A WOMAN DON'T MEAN A THING TO ME IF SHE AIN'T GOT NO MONEY...[hehehehehehehe!!!]
    You betta watch yo self man...you ain't said a thang! ! LOL!!!

Remember when dudes used to trip if their old ladies made more loot than they did? What was that all about? Nowadays, half of these idiots out here want their women to make bank so they don't have to work at all.

Remember when dudes used to trip if their old ladies made more loot than they did? What was that all about? Nowadays, half of these idiots out here want their women to make bank so they don't have to work at all.
    I do not have a problem with a woman making GOOD money at all.

I prefer it. The idea that it's somehow emasculating confuses me.

I prefer it. The idea that it's somehow emasculating confuses me.
    Now if she made more money than you and made you curl her hair, then that's a different story! LOL~!

As long as she curled my toes, I wouldn't care.

? I thought you were...

Ummmm, you bad boy! LOL!

? I thought you were...
    Don't go there... I am not, was not, and won't ever be.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... I know a bunch of wonderful folks who are and a lot assholes who are not.

Marv! Clear out your inbox!

Marv! Clear out your inbox!
    ok will do

Remember when comic books cost a dime instead of $4.00?
    When did you usually buy your comic books? For me it was on Saturdays with the money from my Dad for being "a big boy" and letting the barber cut my hair. LOL!

Attachment 10854

When I first started buying them, my brother and I would get on the bus and ride downtown to a book seller that had tons of comics. They sold some with covers for their listed price but others without covers cost a nickel. Our favorite character was the Black Panther [[who is getting his own movie next year).

Later, I would walk to a drug store after church and buy a candy bar, a couple of Marvel Comics and issues of Famous Monsters of Filmland. Good times. I wouldn't let a ten year old kid out of sight in 2015, let alone let him walk two blocks to ride a bus ten miles away alone.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 12-09-2015 at 12:21 AM.

When I first started buying them, my brother and I would get on the bus and ride downtown to a book seller that had tons of comics. They sold some with covers for their listed price but others without covers cost a nickel. Our favorite character was the Black Panther [[who is getting his own movie next year).

Later, I would walk to a drug store after church and buy a candy bar, a couple of Marvel Comics and issues of Famous Monsters of Filmland. Good times. I wouldn't let a ten year old kid out of sight in 2015, let alone let him walk two blocks to ride a bus ten miles away alone.

That sounds similar to us, except we had several stores within blocks of the house. There was a bookstore downtown called Leo's Wine & Book Shop but we didn't go there until we were older. I got most of my comics from local stores like Stan's Sweet Shop. The ones without the covers were sold like 3 in a plastic wrap which I never understood. In the end we had collected upwards of 300 -350 comics between my brother Robert and myself. The Black Panther was a favorite too and near the end of my comic book days it was Luke Cage Hero for Hire!

Views: 298
    I remember in the late 1940s and early 1950s, when comic books [[64 pages and later, 52 pages) were 10¢ each, and the 100-page thick annuals were 25¢ [[the same price as the movie show [[matinee) and haircuts, and our weekly allowance [[pay for doing our chores). I had a choice of buying 2 regular-sized comic books or one annual, or going to the movie show on Saturday. Luckily, I worked in my father's store from age 5, and earned some extra money. I also regularly won money playing cards, and one-on one ice hockey, and later, hustling pool. Of course, I wasn't buying comic books anymore, when I was hustling in pool halls [[grungy pool halls-they didn't have family billiard parlours back in the 1950s [[at least not in Winnipeg or South Chicago, or The South Side.

I didn't care at all for the Superhero, military, or horror comics [[I had enough violence and scary stuff in normal life [[gangs - racial prejudice [[I carried a switchblade to school starting in junior high school), and I grew up with a steady stream of survivors from Nazi concentration camps. I bought mainly "Funny Animal", and comedy comics, and "Classics Illustrated, and some Western comics. I grew up in a large "family compound" which generally had 20-30 kids. When I was young, my parents started reading comic books to me when I was 2. I started reading them to my parents and grandparents when I was 3. I started collecting them when I was 4. I had 4 older boy cousins in my house when I was born till a teenager, so I "inherited" their old comics from about 1940through into the early 1950s. They just read them a couple times but didn't collect them. I collected them, and have all my Disney Comics from the 1940s through to about 1963 [[both English language [[bought mostly in Canada), and Dutch comics [[which I kept at my aunt and uncle's house in Den Haag, when staying there every summer, as a young kid and teenager. Disney Comics started in The Netherlands in 1952, and, unbelievably, they became a bigger part of the culture there then they ever were in USA. I got many of my many hundreds of comics from older cousins, and we also bought them second hand for 5¢ each, at a newsstand in North Winnipeg, and at an antikvariat [[used book store) in Den Haag.

Kids today ask me what we did at night before people had TVs, electronic games and computers. We read comic books, regular books, played board games, listened to radio, and told and listened to stories. I grew up in the late 1940s and 1950s in conditions more like my parents' youth in the 1920s, than my own brother and sisters, who grew up starting at the beginning of the 1960s.

I was a big fan of annuals except for the fact that they typically has different writers and artists from the regular books. I bought some titles more because of the creators than the subject. I also didn't like the fact that many of the stories fell out of the continuity of the monthly mags. But 64 pages were great. When I stopped reading them in the '70s, the actual comics has shrunk from 32 pages to something like 23.

Ultimately, the industry wound up being much like the music industry . The labels profited greatly without paying what many consider to be fair compensation to the creative teams. And just like music biz, many of the creators took control by the mid-90s. Good for them.

I remember buying the digest version of Archie I believe. There were other comic publishers out there like Charlton comics and Dell comics back in the day that I also enjoyed.

Don't forget Harvey Comics, which had Casper the Friendly Ghost, Wendy the Good Little Witch, Spooky the Tuff Little Ghost, Stumbo the Giant, Little Lotta Plump, and Richie Rich the Poor Little Rich Kid.

Views: 302
    Comic books are dying now because of computers, electronic games computer animation, and the tendency of each new generation to read less. Comic books started out well because there was no TV back then, and going to movies was a one day per week or one day per month treat. Companies are trying to sell their stories and books on The Internet as files, and on Kindle, but that is failing when compared to previous sales of paper comic books, as one friend in a group of 20 can buy the file and share it with all the others, and then all 20 can split the cost, making it nominal for each, while the company gets one twentieth of their former sales. There may be no future for me to continue making a living from writing and drawing comic book stories for Disney after another 7-10 years. Even when I'm 80 years old, I'll need to be earning income. So, I'll need to work more in animation and make more personal appearances and charge fans for personal drawings.

Views: 302
    Comic books are dying now because of computers, electronic games computer animation, and the tendency of each new generation to read less. Comic books started out well because there was no TV back then, and going to movies was a one day per week or one day per month treat. Companies are trying to sell their stories and books on The Internet as files, and on Kindle, but that is failing when compared to previous sales of paper comic books, as one friend in a group of 20 can buy the file and share it with all the others, and then all 20 can split the cost, making it nominal for each, while the company gets one twentieth of their former sales. There may be no future for me to continue making a living from writing and drawing comic book stories for Disney after another 7-10 years. Even when I'm 80 years old, I'll need to be earning income. So, I'll need to work more in animation and make more personal appearances and charge fans for personal drawings.
    Seeing the few samples of your Robb has inspired me to return to drawing. I was pretty good if I say so.

The change in market dynamics of their printed properties is a major reason why Marvel and DC have taken to putting their characters in movies and television. A lot of people are unhappy with si many comic properties dominating the box office, but if they were not selling tickets, they would not be making the movies.