[REMOVE ADS]

Jennifer Hudson to play Aretha Franklin in biopic

Reported today that a producer of the blockbuster film "Straight Outta Compton" will turn his attention to bringing the Queen of Soul's story to the big screen, and Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson is top pick for starring role.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015...lin-new-biopic

Guy, this is exciting news, as I just finished reading Aretha's biography. The timing couldn't be more perfect! Thanks for sharing.

I am sure she will do a fine job. Ms Hudson is the real deal, make no mistake about that.

I hope they make this one with the queen's blessing and imput,no one else should portray her from a vocal standpoint, if done right we could be talking-oscar?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I hope they make this one with the queen's blessing and imput,no one else should portray her from a vocal standpoint, if done right we could be talking-oscar?
    I don't think Jennifer Hudson will be miming to Aretha's original vocals. She will do a creditable attempt at matching Aretha, and as you say the results could be stunning. I look forward to it.

I remember this movie being announced several years ago. Aretha said she wanted Halle Berry to play her and they ended up recruiting Jennifer Hudson instead. This was a little while after she had won the Oscar for Dreamgirls.

Ok, so that's finally settled It was taking forever.

It also sounds like the film will delve into Aretha's troubled side of her life, they mention they'll include the domestic abuse episodes Aretha suffered with Ted White. Hope she allows them to just show her pain to explain why many of her hits were wallowed in it. She's got to let them see just why she became "Lady Soul". I think she knew that after trying to get Halle to do it lol

I'll believe it when I see actual photos from the set. Aretha is notoriously private. She hardly ever discusses Ted White and gave him very little mention in her book. I can't see her allowing a movie to delve into that situation without a battle.

I see there was a video with Taraji Henson explaining why she wants to portray a live Diana Ross and how she will try and make contact with her to explain why.

The portrayal of a live icon is not a good idea. Why on earth would Aretha Franklin assist in the portrayal of her life which shows all the warts like David Ritz's book showed? Are they going to show a bunch of the relatives that are now dead but spoke to David and told them negative things about Aretha?

And if you don't portray a real life, does anyone want to see some plastic, fluffed up, glorified love fest saying that everything in her life was perfect and we should all stand up and cheer?

Having children at 13 and weighing 400 lbs. tells you there is trouble and there definitely is trouble ahead for this venture while Aretha Franklin is alive.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I see there was a video with Taraji Henson explaining why she wants to portray a live Diana Ross and how she will try and make contact with her to explain why.

The portrayal of a live icon is not a good idea. Why on earth would Aretha Franklin assist in the portrayal of her life which shows all the warts like David Ritz's book showed? Are they going to show a bunch of the relatives that are now dead but spoke to David and told them negative things about Aretha?

And if you don't portray a real life, does anyone want to see some plastic, fluffed up, glorified love fest saying that everything in her life was perfect and we should all stand up and cheer?

Having children at 13 and weighing 400 lbs. tells you there is trouble and there definitely is trouble ahead for this venture while Aretha Franklin is alive.
    Well, the article does say "in talks", which means, really - nothing. Ms. Franklin has been "in talks" about this project for at least 10 years. If the film is based upon Ms. Franklin's autobio, it will indeed be fluff-awards-fluff-bummer marriage over which she triumphs-fluff-acclaim ... you get the picture. Personally, being an Aretha-holic, I feel I know all about her life I need to know. If a movie turns out well, hurray for everyone - but really, who needs it?

David Ritz's book was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    David Ritz's book was excellent.
    I thought it was quite good, but I think he went over the top in some cases. He quoted sister Erma as saying that the person Aretha sees in the mirror is not the same person the world sees - hello? Psych 101 much? Does ANYONE see themselves the way the world does? That's just 1 example. But it was indeed good, and quite thorough.

LOL. I guess no one sees a butthole when they look in the mirror.

You might be right; he might have overplayed it a bit. I remember finishing the book thinking she was pretty self absorbed, kind of an old bag that wouldn't be lots of fun to be around.

But I also think that she is over 70 years old, she did accomplish something quite special, she did have an astonishing life with the early pregnancies, the absent parents, the career, the weight, the phobias ~ and so why should she not think she is special and should be accorded some respect and be listened to.

If she'd just drop the crap about the Queen of Soul and stop issuing media statements every time somebody tweeks her sagging boob!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    I thought it was quite good, but I think he went over the top in some cases. He quoted sister Erma as saying that the person Aretha sees in the mirror is not the same person the world sees - hello? Psych 101 much? Does ANYONE see themselves the way the world does? That's just 1 example. But it was indeed good, and quite thorough.
    The fact that she wanted Halle Berry to portray her solidifies that statement. What mirror has she been looking at. She even had the nerve to be upset with Halle when she turned it down saying that she doesn't sing. Aretha's reply was that Angela Bassett didn't either.

I can remember attending an audition with a friend several years ago when they were first looking for someone to play her in a biopic. The first person that came to my mind was Jennifer Hudson who was much heavier back then but it was stated that they wanted to find an unknown. We shall see if this ever comes to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    Well, the article does say "in talks", which means, really - nothing. Ms. Franklin has been "in talks" about this project for at least 10 years. If the film is based upon Ms. Franklin's autobio, it will indeed be fluff-awards-fluff-bummer marriage over which she triumphs-fluff-acclaim ... you get the picture. Personally, being an Aretha-holic, I feel I know all about her life I need to know. If a movie turns out well, hurray for everyone - but really, who needs it?
    Agreed Robert. I couldn't have put it better myself so I won't even try!

More about Aretha, including concerts, broadway, songs, etc. in today's Detroit Free Press: http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...club/32088865/

Wonder why she and George have never performed their classic duet together in concert and I don't think she's serious about retiring from performances though I wouldn't be surprised since she's getting up there in age. You can only do it for so long until you give out.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Wonder why she and George have never performed their classic duet together in concert and I don't think she's serious about retiring from performances though I wouldn't be surprised since she's getting up there in age. You can only do it for so long until you give out.
    Did you mean George Benson or George Michael?

In any event, both duets have been performed in concert. Aretha and George Benson sang LOVE ALL THE HURT AWAY during one of his California shows back in the 80s. A photo was published in JET.

She and George Michael performed I KNEW YOU WERE WAITING in concert when he brought his FAITH tour to Detroit. Footage was shown on MTV News.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    More about Aretha, including concerts, broadway, songs, etc. in today's Detroit Free Press: http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...club/32088865/
    Thanks for this article. So Jennifer hudsons not been signed. The David Ritz book did say that Arethas real famous for feeding stories to the media and then backtracking. I wouldnt blame her for retiring in a couple of years to spend time with her family.

Fondly,

Roberta

You're welcome Roberta75. I would not blame her for retiring either. She has really been on the road for 60 years or more!

I am aware of Aretha's purported penchant for feeding stories to media. I thought it was significant the article mentioned Scott Bernstein by name, but recognize it could still have been planted.

The source material is "From These Roots" so it will be Aretha's version of her life and career. Couldn't do it any other way while she is alive. Still, it has potential to be a very entertaining movie.