[REMOVE ADS]

‘Child of Motown’ Rhonda Ross Kendrick Talks About Motown, Parents and Herself

Susan Whitall, The Detroit News August 17, 2015

A slight, fashionably dressed woman with a familar smile under a cloud of natural hair stands before a group of 25 teenagers at Youthville in the New Center

The classroom is just blocks from Woodward and Alexandrine, where struggling songwriter Berry Gordy Jr. pitched songs in a manager’s office almost 60 years ago

The woman is Rhonda Ross Kendrick, she is the Motown founder’s daughter, exuding his happy warrior bravado. She also has her father’s habit of saying “Ah... ah ... ah” when his thoughts are racing ahead of his worda

“I definitely do that, although not as often as he does,” Ross Kendrick said afterward, laughing. “And I also chew my tongue, like him. When I do that, my husband and my mother both say ‘You look like your father!’

She’s also inherited winsome features and mannerisms from her mother — that would be Diana Ross

But Ross Kendrick is not strictly the sum of her parents’ DNA. She’s struggled to find her own identity as a singer, as the child of two musical legends but insisted on forging her own path

Finding your unique gift despite the expectations of others — in her case, being in the shadow of two such strong personalities — was a big part of her message to the 25 youths attending “Motown Edu,” a summer camp run by the Motown Historical Museum

“My mother is Diana Ross and my father is Berry Gordy, so I am literally, the child of Motown,” Ross Kendrick told the kids. “I needed to find a way to be true to myself, despite the fact that people already had an idea of who I was.”

Promoters — and fans — assumed Ross Kendrick would be a duplicate of her mother, either in her Supremes days, or “young ’70s Diana,” singing either commercial pop or Motown. “But I was really drawn to jazz,” she said. “I love Billie Holiday and Abbey Lincoln.” Her husband, Rodney Kendrick, a jazz pianist, was the first to tell her she had her own art to explore. “He said, ‘You don’t have to flow in the river of expectations.’

Ross Kendrick was her mother’s first child, born in 1971, just after her relationship with Motown founder Gordy unraveled. Ross went on to have two daughters with husband Bob Ellis: Tracee Ellis Ross, 42, Chudney Ross, 39, and then two sons, Ross Naess, 27 and Evan Ross, 26, with her second husband, Swiss businessman Arne Naess.

Despite her hectic solo career, which was at its peak in the ’70s, when she was having her daughters, Diana Ross managed to be a hands-on mother with children who seemed to have reached adulthood relatively unscathed, after growing up in a celebrity fishbowl.

Or as Ross Kendrick put it: “Somehow my mother raised five children, and we’re not in and out of marriages or rehab or jail, and we don’t have a reality show.”

Part of it was Diana Ross made it clear to her children that while they were famous, it was just a small part of who they were. “’You have to figure out who you are, and what you want to do’ she always told us.”

Ross Kendrick isn’t strictly a jazz singer anymore, that became a “box” she needed to break out of, she said. Rather than dressing a certain way, singing certain songs, she wanted to express herself in music that drew from R&B, rock and gospel, as well.

“I don’t have anywhere near the career my mother has,” Ross Kendrick said, “but I feel content.”

You might expect 15 and 16-year-olds to not know who Berry Gordy or Diana Ross is, but this is Detroit, and everybody has mothers who loved the Jackson 5; aunties or grandmas who attended the Fox Motown Revues or pirhouetted in front of the TV along with Diana, Mary and Flo on the “Ed Sullivan Show.”

Zuri Snyder, 16, a student at Royal Oak High School, smiles intently throughout Ross Kendrick’s presentation and asks several excited questions afterward. She may be a Beyoncé fan, but, “I grew up on Motown,” Snyder insisted. Her favorite Motown artist is Diana Ross [[ “I love her!”). “My auntie heard about this camp, and she called me,” she added.

Camper Gregory Cook Jr. of Southgate, a U of D Jesuit student, is 15, but he knew already that Ross Kendrick was Diana Ross’ daughter. “My mother introduced me to Michael Jackson and Diana Ross,” he said.

Still, when Ross Kendrick tells the students that her brother Evan married Ashlee Simpson a year ago and just had a baby, and that her sister Tracee is on the hit show “Black-ish,” there are instant nods and murmurs. These are boldface names the teenagers recognize instantly.

Although she lived with her mother while growing up, Ross Kendrick connected with her father as an adult and absorbed many of his favorite sayings and philosophy.

There’s the Rudyard Kipling poem “If,” one of the Motown founder’s touchstones.

“He lives by it!” Ross Kendrick said, laughing. “I don’t know it by heart — my father made his children who lived with him do that — but I can quote some lines.”

She has a go at it: “If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you, but make allowance for their doubting, too...”

That’s as far as she gets. “The point of all of this is, if you do all of this, you’ll be a grown adult ready to pull out all the joy from life,” Ross Kendrick tells the assembled.

The Kipling poem prompts Motown Historical Museum board of trustees president and CEO Robin Terry, granddaughter of Gordy’s sister Esther Gordy Edwards, to speak up.

“Rhonda, my grandmother found that poem and gave it to each of her brothers when they were reaching adulthood,” Terry said.

“I didn’t know that!” Ross Kendrick exclaimed. “I’m going to memorize it, and teach it to my son.”

Another Gordyism: “My father also believed you should always learn from your mistakes, but you should also learn from the mistakes of others.”

Terry reminds her of another: “Logic is boss.”

“Follow what makes sense,” Kendrick Ross agreed. “Notice when something doesn’t make sense. Pay attention when it does.”

It shouldn’t be surprising that Ross Kendrick explains Motown history and philosophy so well — she’s heard it from one of its key exponents all her life and had many intensive sessions with its author.

“And here’s a piece of my own philosophy,” the singer/actress added. “If I can’t understand you, you’re lying. I’m not a genius, but I’m pretty smart. If I can’t follow this, something’s amiss. You’re leaving something out or making something up.”

One thing that’s changed her perspective tremendously is becoming a mother, Kendrick Ross told the teenagers.

She last drove around Detroit to see where her mother grew up and went to school 20 years ago, but now that she has a child old enough to understand, she planned to show him the places important in his grandmother’s life.

She’ll take Raif to see the Motown museum, for the first time. “He is at the age where he’s starting to understand what Grandpa Berry did and what Grandmommy did,” she said.

When “Motown: The Musical” played in New York, she took Raif, although he was slightly disappointed that “Grandmommy” Diana did not come out on stage, but someone played her.

Raif also believes that “Motown” always means the company his Grandpa founded and the sound he helped create. When a man sat next to him recently and said “I’m from Motown,” the youngster became excited.

Ross Kendrick laughs. “I said, ‘Here’s the deal. Detroit was called the Motor City, then Grandpa Berry called it Motown, because it was more like a town than a city. Then everybody started calling Detroit ‘Motown.’ ”

With Terry’s goal to expand the Motown museum’s educational outreach and Ross Kendrick’s knack for connecting with teenagers, they will collaborate on more things in future.

“Now that I’ve reconnected with Robin, I will be coming to the city more, and now that I have my son, he can come visit family,” Ross Kendrick said. She is also in talks about performing in Detroit soon.

When she urged the students to forget wanting private planes or money, but “figure out what you love, what you wouud do for free,” she’s thinking about her mother’s drive as a skinny teenager sitting on the front steps at Hitsville, determined to defy all her doubters and become not only a world-class singer, but a movie star.

She’s also thinking of her father’s persistence as a songwriter, despite having doors slammed in his face and rarely being paid. Although Gordy famously co-wrote “Money [[That’s What I Want),” it was a long time before he saw any of that green.

“He was writing about what he loved,” Ross Kendrick told the Motown campers. “Find yourself in your art. It’s not about talent. It’s about something that is uniquely you.

“Have the courage to be yourself. The boxes that are out there, in terms of genres — neo soul, hip-hop, urban contemporary — they were created before you. You come in and smash the boxes, or start your own box. There were boxes before Motown was here. R&B. Pop. Well, with Motown my father came in and smashed the boxes.

“Motown had an idea of what the world should be, all of us dancing together, loving together, fighting for justice together.”

Rhonda Ross Kendrick on mom Diana Ross

“My mother was determined as a teenager. She was determined as an adult — she went solo, when all she ever knew was Motown. When I look back on what she was able to do and how much courage it took... she had name recognition but not a lot of financial success, and she had a family to raise. She was making mistakes and just getting back up and trying again.”

“My mother is sounding better than ever, I think. On the song, ‘Do You Know Where You’re Going To,’ I was thinking, she sounds not just as good as the record, but better! I was thinking, she understands the song better now.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ent...camp/31884909/

Enjoyed that very much, Milven. Thank you for posting it. Always like to hear what Rhonda has to say.

Another wonderful find, Milven! Much obliged.

Thanks for postin' this interview Milven,i enjoyed it.

What a real refreshing and inspirational and grounded young woman. Miss Diane Ross raise some great kids. Thanks for sharing milven.

fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    What a real refreshing and inspirational and grounded young woman. Miss Diane Ross raise some great kids. Thanks for sharing milven.

fondly,

Roberta
    Since we, on the board, sit through reading posts about the amazing Martha Reeves as "First Lady [[of Motown) Dr Martha Reeves", would it be just as fair to refer to Diana Ross as Diana Ross and not "Diane Ross"? Respectfully, it is not necessary to school me about the history of the name "Diane." If you grew up with her [[that means grew up in her neighborhood and knew her personally) prior to the around 1964, I might would understand the Diane reference. Just as you might cringe when someone does not refer to Miss Reeves as "First Lady [[of Motown) Dr Martha Reeves," I cringe when Miss Ross' name is not correctly noted [[the star/celebrity; not the young girl growing up in Detroit).

Again, if you did indeed grow up with Diana Ross and called her Diane[[as stated in the above paragraph), I do apologize for this post. Your post was not negative, but realize that many of us are just as invested in our favorite Motown artists as you are in the First Lady [[of Motown) Dr Martha Reeves and know that the "Diane" reference is often used in a slanderous manner on this board. I do enjoy your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Since we, on the board, sit through reading posts about the amazing Martha Reeves as "First Lady [[of Motown) Dr Martha Reeves", would it be just as fair to refer to Diana Ross as Diana Ross and not "Diane Ross"? Respectfully, it is not necessary to school me about the history of the name "Diane." If you grew up with her [[that means grew up in her neighborhood and knew her personally) prior to the around 1964, I might would understand the Diane reference. Just as you might cringe when someone does not refer to Miss Reeves as "First Lady [[of Motown) Dr Martha Reeves," I cringe when Miss Ross' name is not correctly noted [[the star/celebrity; not the young girl growing up in Detroit).

Again, if you did indeed grow up with Diana Ross and called her Diane[[as stated in the above paragraph), I do apologize for this post. Your post was not negative, but realize that many of us are just as invested in our favorite Motown artists as you are in the First Lady [[of Motown) Dr Martha Reeves and know that the "Diane" reference is often used in a slanderous manner on this board. I do enjoy your posts.
    I was introduced to Miss Ross backstage in Detroit in 20O4 by Dr Reeves and I was introduced to her like this Diane this is Roberta. Roberta this is Diane. My aunt in Highland Park area of Detroit knew Miss Ross as Diane and Dr Reeves called her Diane for the entires 1o minutes we was in her dressing room. This was one of the greatest thrills of my life as I love and respect both ladies very much. I meant no offense or disrespect and apologize if Ive offend you.

yours, with every good wish.

Roberta
    Last edited by Roberta75; 08-18-2015 at 09:26 AM.

I was introduced to Miss Ross backstage in Detroit in 20O4 by Dr Reeves and I was introduced to her like this Diane this is Roberta. Roberta this is Diane. My aunt in Highland Park area of Detroit knew Miss Ross as Diane and Dr Reeves called her Diane for the entires 1o minutes we was in her dressing room. This was one of the greatest thrills of my life as I love and respect both ladies very much. I meant no offense or disrespect and apologize if Ive offend you.

Roberta
    You put that very well, Ms. Roberta. I understand that anyone who knew, knows, or has been introduced to Ms. Ross has the right to refer to her as "Diane". But most of the posters here [[and you know who they are!!!) like to use "Diane" as a sort of put-down - so I understand jobucats' concern - it's just pointed at the wrong person! And I am so envious that you met both of these wonderful, intelligent, historic American women! I hope some day you will choose to tell your stories more fully! Best, Robert

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    You put that very well, Ms. Roberta. I understand that anyone who knew, knows, or has been introduced to Ms. Ross has the right to refer to her as "Diane". But most of the posters here [[and you know who they are!!!) like to use "Diane" as a sort of put-down - so I understand jobucats' concern - it's just pointed at the wrong person! And I am so envious that you met both of these wonderful, intelligent, historic American women! I hope some day you will choose to tell your stories more fully! Best, Robert
    Oh in no means am i putting down Miss Ross dear Robertz. I respect and love all tyhe former Motown ladies with the exception of one and i dont talk about her. My mom raised me to not say anything at all if you cant say something nice about someone and thats what I do when it comes to Miss Gladys Knight.

Ive met the First Lady of Motown Dr Martha Reeves many times and thers nobody more gracious and lovely and kind and generous. Meeting Diane Ross in 2004 in Detroit was a true thrill and she was so lovely and kind and the lady had just put on one of the best shows ive ever seen. The respect and love that Dr5 Reeves and miss Ross have for on another was real evident and real real touching.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Roberta
    That's awesome Roberta.

The Rhonda article has got lots of coverage on Facebook too.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    That's awesome Roberta.

The Rhonda article has got lots of coverage on Facebook too.
    It was a real memorable evening dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

I also gather from these types of postings that many of the Motown stars are quite friendly with each other; they are not together like the past, but they are familiar and when they see each other again, it is like seeing family.

Great to see that and great to see some more of the BS that occasionally get pumped being debunked and the truth coming out! Doesn't matter if it's Dr. First Lady, Diane, Diana, The Queen, Miss Ross, the Boss or whatever. What matters is the love and the family!

Roberta, do you care to share why you have issues with Gladys Knight? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Roberta, do you care to share why you have issues with Gladys Knight? Just curious.
    All I will say is she was not nice at all and shes a very phony person imo and thats all i can say to stay on the high road.

I hope you understand dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

Wow, sorry to hear that. That's so disappointing. I completely understand.