[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes Found Song/songs?

I believe it was back in 2011/2012 when Harry and company had supposedly found a gem or 2 still in the vaults by The Supremes. They never mentioned exactly what they discovered. Does anyone remember this? And since we may never see the 60's Supremes complete catalog in expanded form could we please say what that song or songs are? Were they live recordings or studio recordings?

As far as I am aware I think they said there were a few alternate versions, some live tracks and of course the Disney album. Those songs apart they didn't seem to think there was much else left but if anyone knows better then please let us know. It would be nice if there were a few more hitherto unknown songs lurking in the vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    As far as I am aware I think they said there were a few alternate versions, some live tracks and of course the Disney album. Those songs apart they didn't seem to think there was much else left but if anyone knows better then please let us know. It would be nice if there were a few more hitherto unknown songs lurking in the vaults.
    When on my show, Andy talked of there being more Supremes material...as enough for another Lost and Found set.

John,

Wasn't Andy speaking of the post-Diana Supremes [[primarily Jean Terrell years) with regards to a 2nd Lost & Found?
    At least, that is the context in which I am remembering it.

I could swear that either Andy or Harry found something between the time that they were working on More Hits Expanded and I Hear A Symphony Expanded. No one elaborated on whether it was a studio recording, alternate mix, live recording ect.

Maybe it was a song thought not to be complete? Maybe a live song thought to not exist?

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    John,

Wasn't Andy speaking of the post-Diana Supremes [[primarily Jean Terrell years) with regards to a 2nd Lost & Found?
    At least, that is the context in which I am remembering it.
    What I remember is that the available tracks spanned DRATS and 70's Supremes too....but there's only one way to know for sure....

I can recall that when 'Let The Music Play - Lost & Found' came out that Andy more or less said that was our lot as far as DRATS were concerned. Anything else was incomplete. On that release I could in fact hear the bottom of the barrel being scraped. Now Jean's years, that's a whole different story. If I have about 15 unreleased tracks then I dare say that there must be loads more!

i believe when you look at all of the Expanded Editions and the L&F, we're received the vast majority of the unreleased material. Andy acknowledged that there's still the Disney lp, tons of live material and some alt versions. and there's the Jean unreleased material. i think most of the Scherrie content has now been released. He also said much of what's left is either incomplete - maybe only a demo or scratch vocal, or something that might not present the artist in a strong light. maybe they were horse that day and didn't sound great or made too many mistakes in pitch or lyrics.

It looks like we need to have a 70's lost and found. If we could get a double cd of unreleased Jean Terrell I would feel like I had died and gone to heaven.

I think it was also mentioned that Mary's leads
    were left off to get its own treatment

Here's my take on it. I feel everything that is even near finished has been released. For those who put together these collections, they want maintain the integrity of the artist and of the company as much as possible.

All we need is a another release of material which may lack quality or completeness so that people on this forum will complain, "Why did they ever release this?" or "She sounds so awful on this recording" or "Why is the instrumental so long on this song?"

I do however, want to hear a good quality recording of the 70s Supremes, "Soft Days." From the inferior quality versions I've heard, I still feel it's a good song.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Here's my take on it. I feel everything that is even near finished has been released. For those who put together these collections, they want maintain the integrity of the artist and of the company as much as possible.

All we need is a another release of material which may lack quality or completeness so that people on this forum will complain, "Why did they ever release this?" or "She sounds so awful on this recording" or "Why is the instrumental so long on this song?"

I do however, want to hear a good quality recording of the 70s Supremes, "Soft Days." From the inferior quality versions I've heard, I still feel it's a good song.
    If I recall correctly Mary lists in one of her books several unreleased songs from the Jean Terrell era which have yet to surface. Maybe they are unfinished but I also seem to recall reading on this forum that there was enough material for a 70's Supremes lost and found.

As regards the Ross years I think the well is all but dry apart from the afore mentioned Disney album and of course the live and alternate versions. We have had such a lot of stuff from that era so I am not unduly disappointed by that. The 70's Supremes are an altogether different kettle of fish. These unreleased songs need to be heard. There is surely a small but committed market for these tunes.

Then why not some live stuff from 60s Supremes since it is there??

I think part of the issue with the live shows is how different are the shows? of course they were always introducing new material. some they might have used more often than others. but if you look at what they did at the Copa, then the rooster tail then Talk of Town and even Farewell, there's a LOT of overlap. there are points when they'd seem to introduce quite a bit of new material - like Copa 67 with Flo. they introduced the Mille/Rose/Mame on Ed Sullivan. perhaps it was in the show then. also they started doing the Lady Is a Tramp medley. and the new Greatest Hits medley of Baby Love, Come see, Stop, etc.

I wasn't too impressed with the Copa 67 show, I thought the group especially Diana and Florence sounded very hoarse and weak. The setlist wasn't much different from what it would be for the next year or so, with the exception of "You Can't Hurry Love", "Let There Be Love", "Back In My Arms Again". Of course later in that year "Reflections" and "In And Out Of Love" would be added to the show.

Previously-unreleased material aside, which is always welcome, at this point I would still be happy to get a remastered copy of The Supremes' & The Tempts' "GIT On Broadway" which has never seen the light of day since its original vinyl release. Now that Universal/Motown has released the remainder of The Tempts' live and studio albums as downloads, maybe "GIT On Broadway" will be next? Keeping my fingers -- and toes -- crossed!

And Mary leads and her album!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    And Mary leads and her album!
    Yes, absolutely, Luke -- and Mary's album!

It looks like we need to have a 70's lost and found. If we could get a double cd of unreleased Jean Terrell I would feel like I had died and gone to heaven.
    Amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    Amen to that.
    I would be happy to hear any alternate versions from the Ross era but I think we have heard enough of the live stuff. They are so similar so unless there are live versions of less well known numbers I think we should move on to the Jean Terrell era where there appears to lots of stuff to get excited about.

I would be happy to hear any alternate versions from the Ross era but I think we have heard enough of the live stuff. They are so similar so unless there are live versions of less well known numbers I think we should move on to the Jean Terrell era where there appears to lots of stuff to get excited about.
    I agree. The poor quality unreleased 70s tracks I have are worthy of release, in particular "Remote Control", Travelling Light" and the aforementioned "Soft Days".