[REMOVE ADS]

Summer Reading: "My Bondage and My Freedom" by Frederick Douglass

My Bondage and MyFreedom” by Frederick Douglass

Note: MBAMF is asequel of sorts to Mr. Douglass’ better known autobiography, “Narrative of theLife of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave”. I chose to read and review MBAMF as it is a more complete version ofthis inspiring American’s life story.

“I longed to have a future– a future with hope in it”.

“My Bondage and My Freedom” [[published in 1855) is thesecond of three volumes of autobiography written by Frederick Douglas, aself-freed and self-educated ex: slave who in the course of his 77 year lifebecame an eloquent and successful writer and speaker, both in the U.S. and theU.K., in addition to founding and editing a successful anti-slavery newspaper. With the publication of his final volume, “Lifeand Times of Frederick Douglass”, he became the first African American topublish three volumes of autobiography.

Frederick Douglass was born Frederick Bailey in Maryland to a slavemother in 1818. The identity of hisfather is unknown [[Douglass: “Genealogical trees do not flourish among slaves”)though it is rumored that his mother’s master was his father.

Douglass writes with palpable emotion about his early yearswith his beloved, enslaved mother and grandparents, largely unaware of hissocial status: “…if cold and hunger do not pierce the tender frame, the firstseven or eight years of the slave-boy’s life are about as full of sweet contentas those of the most favored and petted whitechildren of the slaveholder”. Yet Douglass’talent as an ironic, philosophical writer becomes apparent as he immediatelyfollows this idyllic sentence with a series of scathing couplets such as “[[theslave child) never has the misfortune of soiling or tearing his clothes … forhe has almost none”.

At the age of six Bailey is transferred to another of theproperties owned by his [[now) master to begin his life of indenturedservitude. The passages detailing thegrief of his mother and grandparents, as well as his own heartbreak at beingtaken from his family, are as heart-wrenching as anything I have read. I was reminded of what struck me most when Ifirst read “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” – the utter desolation of spirit suffered by theslave population at every [[frequent) family separation [[separation of familiesbeing one of the main psychological tortures inflicted on the slavepopulation).

Bailey has the beginning of an education when the wife ofhis master begins to give him reading lessons until the master’s discovery. He continues to study on his own andultimately, secretly teaches several of his fellow slaves to read.

Douglass’ writing becomes more brutal as do his experiences. Beatings and physical abuse [[including notinfrequent murder) of slaves by slaveholders and their wives and children are adaily occurrence, and these episodes retain the power to shock a contemporaryreader, such are the writing skills of Douglass. Passages describing the slaveholder’smentality of equating religion [[“…he would cut and slash my body during theweek, he would not hesitate, on Sunday, to tell me the way of life andsalvation by Jesus Christ”) of with the right to own and abuse another humanbeing are nightmarish and led me to wonder about myself – had I been in aposition to have owned slaves would I have done so, would I have rationalizedmy doing so, and would I have had the capacity for such brutal cruelty? It’s adevastating question and illustrates Douglass’ skill as a writer that his workcan make his readers think even

Douglass goes on to describe his years of slave bondage, andhis vision of himself as a free man after a near fatal beating. His writing skill is superb, blending trueirony and bitter humor, and his chapters detailing his escape plans have theexcitement of a fictional thriller while never losing site of the conditions ofhis fellow slaves. Douglass’ greatestachievement is in subtly letting the reader know that contrary to some opinionthose in lower stations in life are indeed well aware of their status and ofwhat their lives are disallowed.

Ultimately Bailey escapes [[the book having been published ata time when revenge against escaped slaves was severe he tells the reader thatmany details of the escape months are left out) and changes his name toDouglass as a cover. He weds and has afamily, though Douglas gives us scant detailshere as well, perhaps choosing to protect his loved ones by privacy. Upon discovering the writings of anti-slaveryeditor William Lloyd Garrison, Douglass’ thoughts expand from his own freedomto doing what he can to assist the anti-slavery movement. His renown as an inspiring speaker spreads asdo his writings; he attends and speaks at the first Women’s Rights Convention inSeneca Falls. A brief association with abolitionist John Brown forces Douglass to fleefor England after the Harpers Ferry raid failed but he returns to the US a yearlater and is a vocal proponent of the right of African Americans to enlist inthe Civil War as well as participating as voters. Douglass is called to theWhite House by Lincolnto discuss strategies for emancipation. Douglass continues his human rights work, writings, and public speakinguntil his death in 1895.

Frederick Douglass is a perfect example of the Americanhero. He had philosophical differenceswith other like-minded thinkers and was not afraid to change his specificopinions as his thoughts progressed but his commitment to personal freedom, themost basic of American ideals, and his lifelong dedication to self-improvement remainsan inspiration to contemporary readers.

A note on editions –If your library does not have a copy of this book, or you simply want your owncopy, I recommend the Barnes & Noble Classics edition [[ISBN978-1-59308-301-4). It’s a trade-sizepaperback for $10.95, is well-printed with a very eye-friendly type, and thesupplemental materials included [[a list of quotes, mini-bio, superbintroduction and notes by Professor Brent Hayes Edwards, historical timeline,additional essays by Mr. Douglass, etc) are all excellent. Add you will probably want a highlighter andpencil handy to mark up your copy with notes and favorite sentences as I didmine!

Should be required reading for every student in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Should be required reading for every student in this country.
    Agreed. Pretty much anything needed to be learned about slavery, subjection of African Americans, the power of evil [[and evil of power), self-responsibility, value of learning, etc can be learned from this book. PLUS it's expertly written and a non-put-downable page turner. Mr. Frederick Douglass is absolutely an American hero.

He's a hero of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    Agreed. Pretty much anything needed to be learned about slavery, subjection of African Americans, the power of evil [[and evil of power), self-responsibility, value of learning, etc can be learned from this book. PLUS it's expertly written and a non-put-downable page turner. Mr. Frederick Douglass is absolutely an American hero.
    When I was in college crying and complaining about my life, I would go back and read about Frederick Douglass life as a child in slavery and that would be the end of my pity party. I agree that slavery should be taught to children in our schools but not as Black History. This is American History and should be taught as such.