[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mary Wilson Gives Her Opinion of The Worst Supremes Songs Ever Released

Mary named Composer and No Matter What Sign You Are as worst Supremes songs. She also said that it was an insult that their "farewell song" only had one Supreme on it. I am probably one of the few people who likes The Composer. I didn't like NMWSYA when it was released and turned it over to play Young Folks, but I kinda like it now.

Original Supreme Mary Wilson says “The Composer” and “No Matter What Sign You Are” are “surely among the worst songs ever released under the Supremes name.”

She said “under the Supremes name” because in the latter days of the group, the background vocals were almost always done by someone else, not the other two Supremes.

Wilson said it was an especially big insult that the “farewell” song of Diana Ross & the Supremes, the wonderful “Someday We’ll Be Together,” was released, there was only one actual Supreme singing.

With regard to her first point, I would agree with “The Composer,” but I think the other one should be “Some Things You Never Get Used To.”

Link to article is here

http://michronicleonline.com/2015/08...scott-journey/

What about Run Run Run, lol?

She never seems to have spoken on what Mickey Stevenson describes in his book as the off stage microphone that the Andantes sang backup on.

I love "Some things you never get used to" and "No matter what sign you are" and I like "The Composer" better than "The Happening".

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Mary named Composer and No Matter What Sign You Are as worst Supremes songs. She also said that it was an insult that their "farewell song" only had one Supreme on it. I am probably one of the few people who likes The Composer. I didn't like NMWSYA when it was released and turned it over to play Young Folks, but I kinda like it now.

Original Supreme Mary Wilson says “The Composer” and “No Matter What Sign You Are” are “surely among the worst songs ever released under the Supremes name.”

She said “under the Supremes name” because in the latter days of the group, the background vocals were almost always done by someone else, not the other two Supremes.

Wilson said it was an especially big insult that the “farewell” song of Diana Ross & the Supremes, the wonderful “Someday We’ll Be Together,” was released, there was only one actual Supreme singing.

With regard to her first point, I would agree with “The Composer,” but I think the other one should be “Some Things You Never Get Used To.”

Link to article is here

I disagree with Mary Im Living In Shame is the worst Supremes recording ecer released. Not only that It is the worst record ever released. The stupidest message song I ever heard. And it has no message.I like NMWSYA .The composer is just a run of the mill song that should hve been kept in the can. Anyway who made the descisions to release the turkies

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I love "Some things you never get used to" and "No matter what sign you are" and I like "The Composer" better than "The Happening".
    We have similar taste. "Somethings You Never Get Used To" is a brilliant song. In fact, the whole "Love Child" album is superb. My favorite Diana Ross & The Supremes album....practically a Diana Ross solo album though.

Have you ever heard Fantasia's "Hood Boy"? They cleverly sampled "The Happening", turning the synthetic pop feel into a hot hip hop track. Hard to believe but it works.

i have to agree with Mary,never liked The Composer,Some things you never get use to,or I'm living in Shame,they just didn't do it for me,Loved Someday We'll Be Together tho.

I like all the tracks mentioned above except for "The Happening" which I can't stand except for the HDH bit in the middle.

Link to article is here

oooops.... And just when I was in the initial stages of developing a modicum of respect and tolerance for Miss Wilson...... Noe THIS...

Surely "Run Run Run" has to be the worst choice for a Supremes single ever. It should have been the wonderful "Ask Any Girl" instead.
    NMWSYA was a fun funky song that i feel should have charted higher, while i adore the drama of "Some Things".
    The selection of Composer for single release has always confused me. A pleasant album track, but pontential hit. Nooooo way!!!.
    Never understood why strong songs such as "Can't Shake It Loose" and the hit that never was "You Gave Me Love" were overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    i have to agree with Mary,never liked The Composer,Some things you never get use to,or I'm living in Shame,they just didn't do it for me,Loved Someday We'll Be Together tho.
    Quite like nmwsya but never did care for "some things" and the "composer". They should NEVER have been singles but it is all a matter of personal opinion. In this case I mostly agree with Mary.

You could talk all day about the relative merits of the singles.

The Composer doesn't have hit stamped all over it for me but I actually quite like it - it has a certain charm.

For me the worst single was My Heart Can't Take It No More.

It's a real hotchpotch with Diana's voice so shrill - it would give you a headache listening to it!

And I much prefer Forever, Some Things or Sign to Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    What about Run Run Run, lol?

She never seems to have spoken on what Mickey Stevenson describes in his book as the off stage microphone that the Andantes sang backup on.
    Highly doubt this happened. The only option would be at a Motortown Revue show in Detroit in those early days, but I don't think it could have been anywhere else or later.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Highly doubt this happened. The only option would be at a Motortown Revue show in Detroit in those early days, but I don't think it could have been anywhere else or later.
    Well read the book because that's what he says.

After the departure of HDH, The Supremes and the Four Tops had a rough, rough time of it. HDH, after all, were largely [[if not wholly) responsible for the mainstream success of both groups. Prior to working with HDH, both groups were still looking for a sound. The Supremes were still little girls in a sense, with Diane keening away as best she could in front of Mary's and Flo's often hard-edged backings, and The Tops were almost a lounge act, doing jazzy arrangements of pop standards. HDH changed all that, softening the Supremes' sound and toughening the Tops'. When they left there was thus a huge void to be filled. For DRATS, Ashford and Simpson appeared to be the hottest new writing/production to come on staff so they looked promising but fell flat. The Clan did fine with "Love Child" but then bombed with "I'm Livin' in Shame." [[Someone had evidently watched Imitation of Life one too many times!). So they turned to Smokey, who, although he was probably the company's best shot for the group, had never meshed all well with them musically, so that fell flat as well. Even Gordy tried his hand, and still no dice, so it was truly a desperate time for DRATS. Leaving the group without a hit would have been a terible career move for Diane so it It was sheer luck that "Someday" worked as a swan song, even though it had to be pulled as Diane's initial solo outing and wasn't even meant for the group. Only HDH could really work the magic with them and when they jumped ship dry it was hit-or-miss from then on. I would have to say that "I'm Livin' in Shame" had to be the bottom-most rung on that ladder, if only because of the ridiculous lyrics, not to mention the uninspired musicality.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I also love SOMEDAY. SOMEDAY and LADDER are my two favorite Supremes' songs. Mary must like SOMEDAY too since she so often sings it in her concerts.

Nieve me thought that it was actually the Supremes in Love Child and Someday. I remember being so happy that their mikes were finally turned up. I was disappointed years later to learn that it was session singers singing with Diana and not the Supremes. But I still love LOVE CHILD and SOMEDAY.

I agree about The Composer even though it charted at #27, still a bad choice at that point for a single for them. It's all a personal preference anyway. I always felt the beautiful Let The Music Play would have been the better choice even though it was with Florence, who then would have noticed? No Matter What Sign You Are I will defend forever as it was a very unique and clever song and also went to #31. Both songs top 40. Perhaps if Mary had sung on it she would like it better? I love Mary and always will but sometimes she seems to be fickle with her comments. I'm Livin' In Shame went to #10 surprisingly but the public spoke. What about the first 8 songs that flopped? Of course that was prior to them hitting it big. I'd much rather listen to Buttered Popcorn with Florence than The Composer any day. On my personal greatest hits I removed The Composer all together and replaced it with Let The Music Play. The worst of all [[my opinion) was The Weight with The Temptations. That was just horrible and they could have easily found another song worthwhile instead of that mess. In spite of that Mary receives royalties from these songs. That's just her opinion which always seems to change. I think we all have at least one special Supremes song we played to death and mine was No Matter What Sign You Are. Back then we didn't know Mary & Cindy weren't on background. They performed it on Sullivan and it was fantastic! Lastly, I believe Loving You Is Better Than Ever had hit all over it. It's all different strokes for different folks.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    You could talk all day about the relative merits of the singles.

The Composer doesn't have hit stamped all over it for me but I actually quite like it - it has a certain charm.

For me the worst single was My Heart Can't Take It No More.

It's a real hotchpotch with Diana's voice so shrill - it would give you a headache listening to it!

And I much prefer Forever, Some Things or Sign to Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart.
    I agree with you 100% about this song! Berry Gordy and the QC team were asleep at the wheel when they let that one go thru!

Everyone has they're own taste and opinion,about these songs,we can agree to disagree,without startin' mess or trouble,at one time i didn't like The Happening,i thought it was a dumb song,until i saw them do it live,loved it,when The Supremes sang The Happening live,it look like they were having so much fun,loved it.

Haaaaaaaaaaa...i actually like[the composer]and[run,run,run]is one of my favs whereas[i'm living in shame]is phony but[the happening]is bubbly.

I liked the Happening.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvHangOva View Post
    oooops.... And just when I was in the initial stages of developing a modicum of respect and tolerance for Miss Wilson...... Noe THIS...
    LOL, I'm sure Diana feels the same way. Probably why she's NEVER included them in any show [[save for RTL, perhaps) since 1968 or 1969.

Speaking of, WERE these songs ever performed, after they were initially released? Not talking about on Sullivan or Hollywood Palace, but in concert?

And was "The Composer" ever performed on tv?

Link to article is here

I wonder in what context Mary said this. I know she mentioned it in "Dreamgirl" which came out like 30 years ago? But has Mary said this recently? Sounds like a slow news day to me.

there were no Andantes behind the curtains at the Supremes shows I saw. Maybe at the Fox Theater when they backed Mary Wells & Kim Weston.

With different lyrics and Mary and Cindy on it NMWSYA could have been great. PS I heard Shantel was back there too but got twisted in the curtain so ouldnt really be heard.
    Last edited by luke; 08-04-2015 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I wonder in what context Mary said this. I know she mentioned it in "Dreamgirl" which came out like 30 years ago? But has Mary said this recently? Sounds like a slow news day to me.
    It was in yesterday's news and is surrounded by other current articles about music entertainers. So my assumption is that this is something that she recently said and not pulled out of the archives just to fill a column.

I don't think she's saying she didn't like Someday, just that it was weird that the song only featured one of them but Someday was originally a DR solo track. I wonder if Mary knows that?

supremester Guest
    I think the woman was just looking for something to write and pulled it out of Dreamgirl. Bad Choices for singles: I Want A Guy, Your Heart Belongs to Me, My Heart Can't Take it, Run Run Run, Some Things...., Composer, Touch, I Guess I;ll Miss The Man, Your Wonderful Sweet Love, Bad Weather.

Like it or not, a "good" record hits, a bad one doesn't. Personally, I loved The Happening and still do.
    some Things was a great record - but not for radio - especially since the lyrics to the hook are indecipherable to this day. SMH.
    Composer may have been the best of a bad lot at the time, but weak definitely in terms of radio attention.
    NMWSYA I think is a brilliant record that was just way too over mixed for transistor radios. HDH wooda checked it out before sending it out. Gordy didn't. I remember it was just so hard to follow, no one knew the terms referred to. The softer mix on the Pink Box wooda been a better choice. Also, that horrid presentation on Ed Sullivan didn't help. Ross should have just stood there and tried to sell the lyric to the camera while M& C danced.
    PS: Mary & Cindy never, ever sounded as good as The Blackberries do on this record.

Someday? Spare me. Mary and Cindy's weak, ineffectual sound was not needed or wanted on this gospel tinged classic. HA! What a joke.

As the late, GRRRREAT Deke Richards said [[in a nut shell) Mary's voice was so fucking rich and wonderful - it was a producers dream to have access to. I agree 1000%. It needed to be brightened up however: enter Florence Ballard's sharp soprano that needed depth from Mary and you have the IDEAL bg. Cindy? brought little to the table sound wise, and that's why they were rarely used by producers. Even Up the Ladder required The Andantes help, but Mary & Flo cooda handled it, IMO.

Why Mary Wilson annoys me you [[didn't) ask? She plays fast and loose with the facts to further whatever line of BS she's trying to pull at the time. 'Cos girlfriend didn't mention The A's were used on Supremes records as far back as '62 or '63, she doesn't sing a not on Merry Christmas, half of Symphony and lots of others - yet chooses to pull some BS by claiming songs didn't sell cuz she wasn't on them. Spare me. No one noticed or gave a damn who was on Stop! merry Christmas, Love Child or Someday. We just wanted good records.
    Had Mary stated, " Within a year or so of our signing with Motown, we were sometimes augmented or replaced by The Andantes and we hated it. " I'd have respected her for the truthful info and heartfelt admission. To imply it didn't happen until the singles slipped is her typical, annoying M.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    We have similar taste. "Somethings You Never Get Used To" is a brilliant song. In fact, the whole "Love Child" album is superb. My favorite Diana Ross & The Supremes album....practically a Diana Ross solo album though.

Have you ever heard Fantasia's "Hood Boy"? They cleverly sampled "The Happening", turning the synthetic pop feel into a hot hip hop track. Hard to believe but it works.
    No I haven't heard Fantasia's "Hood Boy" I will look it up. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I think the woman was just looking for something to write and pulled it out of Dreamgirl. Bad Choices for singles: I Want A Guy, Your Heart Belongs to Me, My Heart Can't Take it, Run Run Run, Some Things...., Composer, Touch, I Guess I;ll Miss The Man, Your Wonderful Sweet Love, Bad Weather.

Like it or not, a "good" record hits, a bad one doesn't. Personally, I loved The Happening and still do.
    some Things was a great record - but not for radio - especially since the lyrics to the hook are indecipherable to this day. SMH.
    Composer may have been the best of a bad lot at the time, but weak definitely in terms of radio attention.
    NMWSYA I think is a brilliant record that was just way too over mixed for transistor radios. HDH wooda checked it out before sending it out. Gordy didn't. I remember it was just so hard to follow, no one knew the terms referred to. The softer mix on the Pink Box wooda been a better choice. Also, that horrid presentation on Ed Sullivan didn't help. Ross should have just stood there and tried to sell the lyric to the camera while M& C danced.
    PS: Mary & Cindy never, ever sounded as good as The Blackberries do on this record.

Someday? Spare me. Mary and Cindy's weak, ineffectual sound was not needed or wanted on this gospel tinged classic. HA! What a joke.

As the late, GRRRREAT Deke Richards said [[in a nut shell) Mary's voice was so fucking rich and wonderful - it was a producers dream to have access to. I agree 1000%. It needed to be brightened up however: enter Florence Ballard's sharp soprano that needed depth from Mary and you have the IDEAL bg. Cindy? brought little to the table sound wise, and that's why they were rarely used by producers. Even Up the Ladder required The Andantes help, but Mary & Flo cooda handled it, IMO.

Why Mary Wilson annoys me you [[didn't) ask? She plays fast and loose with the facts to further whatever line of BS she's trying to pull at the time. 'Cos girlfriend didn't mention The A's were used on Supremes records as far back as '62 or '63, she doesn't sing a not on Merry Christmas, half of Symphony and lots of others - yet chooses to pull some BS by claiming songs didn't sell cuz she wasn't on them. Spare me. No one noticed or gave a damn who was on Stop! merry Christmas, Love Child or Someday. We just wanted good records.
    Had Mary stated, " Within a year or so of our signing with Motown, we were sometimes augmented or replaced by The Andantes and we hated it. " I'd have respected her for the truthful info and heartfelt admission. To imply it didn't happen until the singles slipped is her typical, annoying M.O.
    You need to let it go. it isnt that serious for you to rant on everything Mary says

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post

Someday? Spare me. Mary and Cindy's weak, ineffectual sound was not needed or wanted on this gospel tinged classic. HA! What a joKe.

if you ever decide to take the bar, I'd happily retain you to defend my case.

Blackguy68,he can't help his self,you could be talking about Blood Sweat and Tears,and he'd bring up Mary Wilson,he and those other 2 clowns,are mentally not all there.they always play nice but NASTY,when it comes to Mary,i think everyone is hip to the games they play tho lol

I remember playing the S*%* out of "Living In Shame", the hook was infectious. There was more to the lyrics that just carved a hole in you about "shame". As far as "Someday" it was brilliant to use this song as the swan song for the girls. That song took the end of the era and 1969 to the limit. "Composer" had Smokey written all over it and was so melodic. The lyrics were a bit over the top but Diana was in good form on this song. “In and Out Of Love” in my opinion is in the Top 5 of worst songs by the Supremes. Add "Touch" to that list as well.

Will In And Out Of Love had to grow on me,love it tho,the first time i heard Reflections,i didn't get it,it was so different from anything,The Supremes had ever done,i had to get use to this new sound,when i saw Diana Ross and The Supremes sang Reflections,on The Hollywood Palace,i loved it,Mary is truly a star,in the background,did Florence ever sing Reflections,with The Supremes before she left ?

I love the simplicity of "In and Out of Love". It harkened back to the early H-D-H compositions. When it was #1 for 4 weeks on American Bandstand, I watched enthusiastically. I was pleasantly surprised she did it at "The Return to Love" Detroit stop.

I don't think Flo did, Redhot.

It was released on July 24, 1967, less than a month before, Florence was kicked out of the group during their Vegas gig.
    Last edited by midnightman; 08-06-2015 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Fixed because of timeline error on my part.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    I love the simplicity of "In and Out of Love". It harkened back to the early H-D-H compositions. When it was #1 for 4 weeks on American Bandstand, I watched enthusiastically. I was pleasantly surprised she did it at "The Return to Love" Detroit stop.
    In and Out of Love reminds me too much of Falling In Love With Love - which is a better song IMO- its basically a duet between Diana and Mary, and love their live version too.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

It was released on July 24, 1967, less than a week later, Florence was kicked out of the group during their Vegas gig.
    Reflections was completed May 9, 1967, according to DFTMC. I seem to recall that she did sing on the bg, but the Andantes were overdubbed on the final release. But don't quote me on that.

Thankfully 'The Composer' was never released in the UK! However IMHO the two worst '60's Supremes singles released in the UK were 'NMWSYA', too much shouting and yelling, and 'Some Day' which was just boring. 'Shame' had a good melody but awful lyrics - 'homemade jam' indeed! Back in the day I didn't care for 'Nothing But Heartaches' & 'In And Out Of Love' but now I love the former but still not that keen on the latter. Unlike many people I have always loved 'The Happening'. 'Forever Came Today' is an underrated classic and 'Somethings You Never Get Used To' is another great song that got lost! The post 'Lovelight' flops I can do without but I like 'Run, Run, Run'. If I had to pick a single that wasn't number one but should have been then it would be 'Itching'. HDH had come up with something very different. Sadly in the UK it failed to chart!

supremester Guest
    Flo was kicked out the first week of July - I think the 2nd.
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

It was released on July 24, 1967, less than a week later, Florence was kicked out of the group during their Vegas gig.

I think my 2 favorite Diana Ross and The Supremes singles are "Come See About Me" and "Someday Well be together". I can't believe someone would think Someday as boring. I guess everyone has their own likes.

supremester Guest
    i came VERY close to doing just that, but I hated Duke [[real life open bigotry - stuff I had just read about) and never would have survived 1980 living in The Village at NYU, so I'm lucky I got coerced into the family business. As for La Mare - girlfriend shoodna been lying about telling the FACTUAL story of The Supremes. I don't care about her personal info - [[if true or not) but it annoys me slightly that what she purports is non-fiction about the group is anything but in many spots. Her lies and falsehoods do not color my opinion of her beauty or rich, unique voice that is so great on so many records.

Lol you can't STOP,with The Clown Show,Mary is the reason it's hot outside, Mary is the reason the dogs didn't eat today lmao

supremester Guest
    Reflections is my least fave of the hits. I don't hear Mary or Flo on it and I really miss Flo's lively spark on it, plus the lower voice sounds like imitation Mary to me. I never got carried away with it like I did it's predecessors, but I did like the sound of it coming from cars and windows that scorching summer of '67. Once I knew Flo was out of the group, I liked it even less.
    I must admit until I read this thread, I forgot just how much I played my In & Out Of Love 45 - once it gets going, it's a good record if you play the mono mix - I still missed Mary & Flo a lot on it. Even if Flo was gone, they could have used Mary & Marlene perhaps together. I like the bgs beginning with Some Things, but the 3 singles off Reflections I think suffer a lot not having Mary & Flo.

No one is falling for it anymore, Stop In The Name Of Love lmao p.s i'm done

supremester Guest
    I know LOL, don't forget 2 terms of GW LMAO, climate change, smh, that horrible new additive in most shrimp LOL and the lack of physical releases from Motown LOL.

Mary is definitely on "Reflections." One of those UK radio shows did a special on HDH and played isolated tracks throughout the show. When they did "Reflections," you can hear Mary before the start of the song say something like "Here she is now" as Diana walked through the door into the studio. Now, is Florence on "Reflections?" That has been debated. Some say yes, some say no, some say it's the Andantes. I'm in the no camp and believe Marlene subbed for her...Remember the vocals [[both lead and background) were recorded together on the same day, May 9th. This was just a week or so after the infamous Hollywood Bowl show and Marlene had been filling in for her just a few weeks prior so Florence absence in the recording shouldn't come as a surprise.

The ladies also recorded "In And Out Of Love" on a two day break between engagements. They just finished at the Shoreham in Washington and were about to head out to the Coconut Grove. Recorded in the same session as "It's Going All The Way [[To True Love)" which would be the last recording session for the original trio. Listen to "It's Going All The Way" and you can hear the ladies are buried back in the mix. Florence wasn't sounding too hot and that's most likely the reason HDH dubbed in the Andantes onto "In And Out Of Love."

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Now, is Florence on "Reflections?" That has been debated. Some say yes, some say no, some say it's the Andantes.
    Those "Reflections" background vocals are miked and mixed down so far that I doubt it's really possible to discern who's singing, short of getting voice prints. I remember seeing the single in the store on the day it hit the racks. By that time, I was able to predict, to the day, when a new Supremes single would be released. "The Happening" threw off that predictable pattern but then "Reflections" picked it up again, so I found the single before I even heard it. My heart sank when I saw "Diana Ross and the Supremes." Having heard and read rumors of Flo's possible departure in places like Earl Wilson's column, but having no actual corroboration, I looked at that label and wondered if maybe they had dismissed both Flo and Mary [[I wasn't putting anything past Gordy & Diane by that time), and, listening to the background vocals [[what you could hear of them), I couldn't tell. After Flo's very audible presence on "The Happening," this next outing didn't sound like her at all. I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

Has George or Andy commented on this?

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Those "Reflections" background vocals are miked and mixed down so far that I doubt it's really possible to discern who's singing, short of getting voice prints. I remember seeing the single in the store on the day it hit the racks. By that time, I was able to predict, to the day, when a new Supremes single would be released. "The Happening" threw off that predictable pattern but then "Reflections" picked it up again, so I found the single before I even heard it. My heart sank when I saw "Diana Ross and the Supremes." Having heard and read rumors of Flo's possible departure in places like Earl Wilson's column, but having no actual corroboration, I looked at that label and wondered if maybe they had dismissed both Flo and Mary [[I wasn't putting anything past Gordy & Diane by that time), and, listening to the background vocals [[what you could hear of them), I couldn't tell. After Flo's very audible presence on "The Happening," this next outing didn't sound like her at all. I doubt we'll ever know for sure.
    On 2007's "diana ross and the supremes the #1s" they brought the background vocals out where you can really here them and you easily hear Florence and Mary on "Reflections".

I'd just like to point out that the soprano on "Reflections" and Florence's soprano are two totally different voices.