[REMOVE ADS]

Goodbye Cilla. Thank you for the music.

honest man Guest
    [QUOTE=theboyfromxtown;294962]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ocial-facebook[/QUOA girl from my neck of the woods Ta-Ra Chuck xxxxxx

I'm very sad to hear that 'Our Cilla' has passed away. She had such a chirpy upbeat personality, which she maintained consistently for decades, that today's news lands a real blow.

It was never going to be the same for her after husband Bobby passed away. How could it be?, but Cilla carried on as best she could.

Although Cilla was a powerful singer who belted out her songs, she could be unexpectedly affecting and poignant when she dropped her voice to a breathy, wistful tone. She made 'Liverpool Lullaby [[Mucky Kid)' her very own. No-one else could have given it quite the same treatment.

Cilla never permitted her breezy, cocky stage personality to enter the realms of being outright vulgar, and there were often signs of a very sensitive, emotional lady, a side of Cilla which was generally well hidden from sight. Often, in performances, she could be so touched by the response of the audience that, for a moment, she would start to lose her composure, with the tell-tale gesture of placing one hand up to the back of her neck.

Night, night, Cilla. God Bless. X

Rest in peace. She always seemed like a nice lady.

I became a big fan long after the fact and assembled quite a collection of material by her. I just saw a list of what someone considered her 12 best songs and I was shocked to see that Surround Yourself With Sorrow was not one of them. That is my absolute favorite Cilla song!

My absolute favourite is "Love's Just A Broken Heart".

RIP Cilla

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    I'm very sad to hear that 'Our Cilla' has passed away. She had such a chirpy upbeat personality, which she maintained consistently for decades, that today's news lands a real blow.

It was never going to be the same for her after husband Bobby passed away. How could it be?, but Cilla carried on as best she could.

Although Cilla was a powerful singer who belted out her songs, she could be unexpectedly affecting and poignant when she dropped her voice to a breathy, wistful tone. She made 'Liverpool Lullaby [[Mucky Kid)' her very own. No-one else could have given it quite the same treatment.

Cilla never permitted her breezy, cocky stage personality to enter the realms of being outright vulgar, and there were often signs of a very sensitive, emotional lady, a side of Cilla which was generally well hidden from sight. Often, in performances, she could be so touched by the response of the audience that, for a moment, she would start to lose her composure, with the tell-tale gesture of placing one hand up to the back of her neck.

Night, night, Cilla. God Bless. X
    Beautifully expressed, WGB. Enjoyed ready your tribute very much.

Thank you, the boyfromxtown, for the lovely clip of Cilla's live performance of 'Liverpool Lullaby'. A reminder of younger, more innocent times. It is a clear demonstration of Cilla's charm. In being so 'ordinary', she was quite extraordinary.

Thank you too, Methuselah2, for the compliment.

Cilla is being fondly remembered here in the UK as the star who always felt like a friend in our living rooms. Hers was a very successful and generally happy life, and one which left her financially very secure. Always approachable and candid, she admitted in recent times to health problems, not wishing to live to a great age, and to feeling lonely.

Being so straightforward made it easy for people to empathise with Cilla's admission of very personal feelings, especially if they felt they could not express such feelings themselves. Her passing is a further, bittersweet reminder of the way life can be for all of us at times, especially as we grow older.

I think it is that awareness which has left many people [[even those who were not particular fans) with a keen, unsettling sense of loss, far more than they ever would have expected.

'Our Cilla' reminded us, of us - and, in return, was loved for it.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 08-07-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Short...but sweet!

If you're taking requests, can you post for us the clip of Cilla singing 'You're My World' live at the Royal Albert Hall - [[the middle clip, bottom row, when the 'Suffer Now I Must' clip ends) - ?

There's no artifice, no posing, just sung straight from the heart...

I always liked this song:

Marv....

I always preferred the stirring sentiments of 'You're My World' to 'Anyone Who Had A Heart', because it was not a cover version, just pure Cilla.

The phrase "you're EV-ER-Y prayer I pray" stands out every single time I hear it.

Nice clip, thanks. And Cilla rocks' Heat Wave' pretty good, too...

I bought You're My World but ended up preferring Suffer Now I Must.

I know I wasn't the biggest fan of her music but I have been really taken by this awful news. Her first single marks the time when my parents bought a record player so it kind of officiates my collecting career. I loved her first 45. I will miss her.

Marv....

I always preferred the stirring sentiments of 'You're My World' to 'Anyone Who Had A Heart', because it was not a cover version, just pure Cilla.

The phrase "you're EV-ER-Y prayer I pray" stands out every single time I hear it.

Nice clip, thanks. And Cilla rocks' Heat Wave' pretty good, too...
    Westgrandboulevard, when she sang that song [[You're My World), you knew she meant it. It had a definite authentic feel to it. That's how I judge GOOD music!

Marv, I expect you are reading the same tributes to Cilla as we, over here in the UK, are doing...so you may already have read what Cliff Richard said.....

"I first met her when I was a guest on one of her early TV shows. I think it was called 'Cilla'.

It was way back when shows were still in black and white, and we sang a duet together called 'Passing Strangers'.

What impressed me was that she looked me in the eyes as she sang the words, as if she really meant them.

Too many artists just read the lyrics - she sang them with her heart".

This makes me roar with laughter. Happy times for Cilla Black

Marv, I expect you are reading the same tributes to Cilla as we, over here in the UK, are doing...so you may already have read what Cliff Richard said.....

"I first met her when I was a guest on one of her early TV shows. I think it was called 'Cilla'.

It was way back when shows were still in black and white, and we sang a duet together called 'Passing Strangers'.

What impressed me was that she looked me in the eyes as she sang the words, as if she really meant them.

Too many artists just read the lyrics - she sang them with her heart".
    Westgrandboulevard, the press here in the States has acknowledge her passing, but they have not done anything in depth unfortunately. I had no idea of the Cliff Richards quote when I made my comment about about Cilla. That was just my own personal observation. She was not a phony. We have a multitude of phony singers, entertainers here in the States at the moment. They will never reached the legendary status of a Cilla Black, trust me.

Marv...you undoubtedly have a much greater wealth of talent in the US than we do in the UK, so there is much more competition for that larger market. Yes, I can well believe that US wannabes are, most times, nowhere near as good even as those considered, sadly, as 'has beens'.

It's quite understandable that Cilla's passing will not be given the same coverage in the US. To be fair, many people here were not necessarily fans of Cilla's singing voice, but she had become much better known as a television presenter, especially from the 1980s up until about ten years ago. They were family shows, 'Blind Date', 'Surprise, Surprise', which had love and sentiment as the main theme, to which she was ideally suited. Cilla always had a 'girl next door image' which, in time, mellowed into a glamorous, yet 'mumsy/ favourite aunt' identity. I believe it is mainly for that reason that people are touched by her passing.

There is a Liverpudlian expression - 'gobsmacked' - which I believe became much more widely known and used, simply because Cilla would regularly use it on prime time TV.

I wonder.........how was the authentic 'Scouser' Liverpudlian accent received in the States in the 60s? Did it, or does it still, sound strange to your ears?

honest man Guest
    Marv...you undoubtedly have a much greater wealth of talent in the US than we do in the UK, so there is much more competition for that larger market. Yes, I can well believe that US wannabes are, most times, nowhere near as good even as those considered, sadly, as 'has beens'.

It's quite understandable that Cilla's passing will not be given the same coverage in the US. To be fair, many people here were not necessarily fans of Cilla's singing voice, but she had become much better known as a television presenter, especially from the 1980s up until about ten years ago. They were family shows, 'Blind Date', 'Surprise, Surprise', which had love and sentiment as the main theme, to which she was ideally suited. Cilla always had a 'girl next door image' which, in time, mellowed into a glamorous, yet 'mumsy/ favourite aunt' identity. I believe it is mainly for that reason that people are touched by her passing.

There is a Liverpudlian expression - 'gobsmacked' - which I believe became much more widely known and used, simply because Cilla would regularly use it on prime time TV.

I wonder.........how was the authentic 'Scouser' Liverpudlian accent received in the States in the 60s? Did it, or does it still, sound strange to your ears?
    i Reckon so,the times i have visited the states i have been asked with my scouse accent am i from Australia ..................

LOLOLOL...I'm unsure, exactly, just who would feel the least complimented.....

Authentic regional accents are fascinating, but are often moderated/modulated, for greater understanding by others.

I was born in Hampshire, UK. It was schooled out of me but, locally, many would have pronounced 'milk' as 'meallk', instead of 'millk', in RP English.

I notice in the early Motown recordings [[Mary Wells, etc) that 'ask' was pronounced 'aks', which I always assumed was simply local Detroit dialect. In subsequent recordings [[e.g. 'Ask Any Girl') the pronunciation reverted to 'ask', [[phonetically, 'assk' - as I imagine would apply to most of US). That also applies to some parts of UK, and in others, it is 'arsk'.

Luke....

Re: your new 'Cilla Black' thread started today.....

I thought this old thread, from the time of her passing, may be helpful.

It would be interesting to hear from members why 'Our Cilla' was not more successful in the US.

Maybe she didn't really want it? I would think it was because Cilla had a unique British identity, and that the competition from US female singers was very strong.