[REMOVE ADS]

Martha & The Vandellas "Live At The Copa" Acetates

and talking of acetates on Ebay, here's one [[4) currently on offer....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARTHA-and...item20ffad71a5

You'll have to move quickly though.

Wow, mysterysinger, what a find! I'm glad to know they are out there. Maybe someday we will actually get to hear them! These have just got to get a legitimate release sometime. It looks like quite a different show than that on the "Live" album though it seems to have been recorded around the same time as "Honey Chile" seems to be the newest song. I don't recall "Honey Chile" being on the "Live" LP, though "Love Bug" was which came out just a bit before it, to my recollection.

Now where is Carole Cucumber when you need her, to validate everything for us?

Very cool! Thanks for sharing, mysterysinger. I also hope this will get an official release.

There was a different acetate auctioned off and sold in 2013, also containing Martha Reeves & the Vandellas' Copa recordings. The 2013 acetate contained the show from June 23, 1968:

http://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/...RELEASED_ALBUM

The acetates currently on Ebay contain recordings from the previous day. The line-up is slightly different, as "Our Day Will Come" was recorded on the 23rd.
    Last edited by carlo; 08-02-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Judy Garland meets with Martha, Lois and Sandra, December 1968, after one of their shows at the Copa...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hIBP8mC5UM...1600/copa.jpeg

Lois talks about meeting Judy Garland:

http://thejudygarlandexperience.blog...1_archive.html

Wow, Carlo, great finds and so interesting! A very gracious Lois and a very interesting interview. She's off on her dates though. Judy died in 1969 so Lois and the Vandellas could not have met her in the early 70s.

Do we know the first time the Vandellas played the Copa, or how often? Judy was married to Mickey Deans when she died, but I don't think they'd been married long, so I imagine that the photo that is from 1968 is an accurate date.

It was sold for $751 by a bidder that has only won this item.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Judy Garland meets with Martha, Lois and Sandra, December 1968, after one of their shows at the Copa...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hIBP8mC5UM...1600/copa.jpeg

Lois talks about meeting Judy Garland:

http://thejudygarlandexperience.blog...1_archive.html
    Lovely; thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Wow, Carlo, great finds and so interesting! A very gracious Lois and a very interesting interview. She's off on her dates though. Judy died in 1969 so Lois and the Vandellas could not have met her in the early 70s.

Do we know the first time the Vandellas played the Copa, or how often? Judy was married to Mickey Deans when she died, but I don't think they'd been married long, so I imagine that the photo that is from 1968 is an accurate date.
    In her book, Martha says they played the Copa four times. But she only details two engagements: one when Lois was a member and her brother was on drums, so they brought their parents in from Detroit to see the show. And another in spring 1969, when Judy Garland came backstage to visit. In her book, she also includes a photo of she, Sandra, and Lois with F. Lee Bailey backstage at the Copa.

I have also seen a picture of the Martha/Lois/Rosalind trio onstage at the Copa.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In her book, Martha says they played the Copa four times. But she only details two engagements: one when Lois was a member and her brother was on drums, so they brought their parents in from Detroit to see the show. And another in spring 1969, when Judy Garland came backstage to visit. In her book, she also includes a photo of she, Sandra, and Lois with F. Lee Bailey backstage at the Copa.

I have also seen a picture of the Martha/Lois/Rosalind trio onstage at the Copa.
    Thanks Reese! You are an expert on all things Martha. Now if I could only get you to share with me all your secret Martha recordings!

Didn't the vandellas do the copa 2 times in 68? I assumed they were there early in 68 when rosland was there. I know they were there around Xmas 68

Mysterysinger - Thank you for this thread. And Carlo, thank you for the Lois/Judy links. Great stuff. Let me add these 2 great shots to the conversation:

Attachment 9763
    Attachment 9764

And one more recent:

Attachment 9765

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    And one more recent:

Attachment 9765
    I love love love this.

Thank you for sharing.

Fondly,

Roberta

Is Michelle's hair in a natural? I don't recall ever seeing her that way. This looks like a "first term" photo because Barack doesn't appear to have any gray in his hair!

Definitely an early White House photo, Kenneth. Haven't seen Michelle's hair like that before either. She looks great.

I agree, Methuselah2, she is such a lovely woman. When will we have another like her?

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    I knew you would, Roberta. When I saw it, I thought "Wonder if Roberta has seen this one? I better post it." Martha looks so wonderful--happy and beautiful. As do the Obamas.
    I hadnt
    but im real happy you posted it dear. Three of my favorite people. The best President Ever. The most beautifull First Lady ever and the greatest singer on the planet the other First Lady [[of Motown) Dr Martha Reeves.

Thank you again.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Thanks Reese! You are an expert on all things Martha. Now if I could only get you to share with me all your secret Martha recordings!
    Thanks for the nice words. But I have no Martha recordings other than those that have been officially released. Perhaps you're thinking of someone else.

Is Michelle's hair in a natural? I don't recall ever seeing her that way. This looks like a "first term" photo because Barack doesn't appear to have any gray in his hair!
    I haven't seen that show in a while. But I think Michelle's hair was just brushed back. This photo is sort of grainy.

Thanks for the nice words. But I have no Martha recordings other than those that have been officially released. Perhaps you're thinking of someone else.
    I just thought that because I think you knew about that "Rainbow" album which I had never heard of before hearing about it here.

This article has Martha and the Vandellas debuting at the Copa on June 20, 1968.

http://www.mcrfb.com/?p=13267

RossHolloway Guest
    This article has Martha and the Vandellas debuting at the Copa on June 20, 1968.

http://www.mcrfb.com/?p=13267
    That was a great review, now I REALLY want to hear this performance!

So the tapes will be somewhere in the Motown vaults? Wonder if it could be, yet another project for ACE and Keith Hughes? More likely, I suspect, that it could end up as a digital release though. What would the cover look like - one unlikely example...

Attachment 9778
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 08-05-2015 at 09:24 AM.

Looks good to me!

What a great thread! just catching up with this. I would also very much like to see a release of the Vandellas Copa recordings. The image below should certainly be included in the booklet - this one has Roz and Lois alongside a fabulous-looking Miss Martha! What a show it must have been.

Wow, what a great photo! So the Copa had its own showgirls? Were they a warm up act to the big names? Were their routines similar to the Rockettes at Radio City? I never saw a show like that but still I miss the glamor of it!

supremester Guest
    Ross - I think I have this on a CD somewhere - I'll check this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    That was a great review, now I REALLY want to hear this performance!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Ross - I think I have this on a CD somewhere - I'll check this weekend.
    That would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    That would be awesome!
    May I beg, borrow or steal a copy as well? Please!!!

I have Supremes final show in Montreux [[?) or Monte Carlo [[?). I forgot now. If you want something in return!

supremester Guest
    I don't need anything back - I love sharing stuff and think we're all in it together, but thank you......just please REMIND ME - I have CRS and am very busy this week. I still need to upload another lost surprise. So a reminder would be wonderful.

RossHolloway Guest
    I don't need anything back - I love sharing stuff and think we're all in it together, but thank you......just please REMIND ME - I have CRS and am very busy this week. I still need to upload another lost surprise. So a reminder would be wonderful.
    You got it!

Thank you so much! But I do have lots - just not lots of stuff that's not available. Of course much of what used to be quite rare is now out there on Hallmark [[Twistin' Kings, Gospel Stars, Columbus Mann). But anything you need, just ask. Thanks again! I have wanted to hear this show for years!

Alas, I don't have anything that's not available, but I would really love to hear this legendary recording just once. Might you be prepared to add me to your loans list too please?

Bringing back to the top to complement the other MR&V Live discussion...

Judy Garland married Mickey Deans in January 1969, shortly before her death, but were engaged briefly at the end of 1968. So this date could be accurate.