Now here is when I took a step back. I was totally in charge. IF, after Sammy signed it off, and I then OK'd it for the printers, I would be the one responsible for what went out in the streets. No matter who or how big Sammy was, I just couldn't do that. This is because, I now had to add another important player to the equation: Motown Records. Sammy wasn't going to be the only one with his name on the LP. What about Motown? They had a name too, and a damn important one. As much as I loved Sammy, I worked for Motown. In reality, I was Berry's man, not Sammy's. So, I called Berry immediately and brought him up to speed. He told me to meet him at the house. After I arrived, we talked a bit of other current events, and what he had been doing. Then, it shifted to Sammy. Berry looked at the mock up. Everything was looking good and he was very pleased with the progress I had made. Then, it was time to tell Berry what was going on with the photo of Sammy and the model on the left inside cover. I told Berry to look closer at the photo. He could see it was a joint between Sammy's hand and the Models mouth. "Deke, are you crazy?, Berry said half laughing, as he continued, "You can't do this." I wanted to laugh too, but I knew he was serious. I explained that this is the shot Sammy definitely wanted, no questions asked. "We'll, Berry said, "we may have a problem then, because I can't let it go like this." I started to feel like a piece of paper that was getting ready to be torn in half. I couldn't just remove the photo, or Sammy would have bolted, possibly putting the project in jeopardy. I did NOT want to do that. At the same time, Berry was the ultimate decision maker. If I got into a big thing with Berry about using the photo, I could be removed from the project. I wasn't going to let that happen either. Man oh man. What was i gonna do? If I didn't come up with a solution quickly, Sammy's LP would be taken off the release schedule. All that time and work would have been in vain. I was waiting for something to come to me, something that would make sense. I looked at the pic one more time I asked Berry, "What bothers you the most, I mean what is your main objection about the photo?" "The problem is," Berry replied, "he is giving the girl a drag off a Marijuana Cigarette. Sammy is in fact, passing the Model a form of illegal drugs. Plain and simple. That is something I just can't let the label condone, or be associated with". I totally understood his point. Then, I said, "OK. What if you couldn't see the joint? What if you couldn't tell WHAT he was passing to the Model?" Berry paused. Based on the fact that I had just removed the item his complaint was founded on, I felt I had him in 'Check'. "Well, if I can't tell if it's Marijuana or not, and it doesn't lead me to believe that Sammy is actually giving the girl a Marijuana cigarette, then I would have to say . . . it would no longer be an objection." I quickly returned, "Consider it done" and then silently to myself said, "Checkmate". I immediately called Ken and told him we had one small change to make before I take it over to get Sammy's approval.

After Ken carefully and totally airbrushed out the cigarette between Sammy's hand and the Models' mouth, everything was done. I was exhausted but totally relieved. I was completely done and ready for my final meeting. All I had to do was to get Sammy's approval by initializing the revision with the added title on the mock up. So, I called Sammy and told him I was coming over to show him the final cover for him to sign off. Sammy said he had some friends over now, but said come on anyway. When I drove up to the door, I saw 2 Limos and one on the street. The drivers were gathered by one of the Limos. I rang the bell and was greeted by none other than Jimmy Bowen. Now, I hadn't seen this dude since his early recording days in the later 50's, when I was in still in school. Jimmy was cool and casual. The door was closed to the den, but I could hear plenty of talking and laughing. I told Jimmy, "Maybe I should come back later." "No", Jimmy said. "Sammy's expecting you. Just wait here and I'll let him know you're here." Jimmy opened door to the den and walked inside, closing the wood shuttered, double door behind him. The noise and laughter inside intensified for a moment when the doors opened, as I thought to myself, "This 'party' is NOT going to break up anytime soon". There was a man servant in the foyer with me as I waited. He asked if he could get me anything, and I replied, "No, thank you. Maybe I should just go and call Sammy later." "No", the servant said. "Mr Bowen will be with you shortly". Just then the doors opened and closed again as Jimmy walked out of the den smiling. He came up to me and said, "OK, Sammy will see you now". He walked in front of me and just as he began to open the door to the den, there was a chilling silence. Jimmy walked through still in front of ma and said, "Deke Richards". As I walked inside, I almost lost a step. There sitting on the white semi-round couch against the right corner of the room was Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy, Peter Lawford and 2 other men I didn't recognize. They were all so quiet, that it was hard to believe this was the same group that was making so much noise moments before. Even though my legs felt frozen, I moved closer to the couch as Sammy said, "Have a seat". I sat in a chair facing the couch. Then he quickly introduced me to everyone, by first names only. "OK, what have you got for me", Sammy inquired. I pulled the finished mock up from my bag and set it on the coffee table in front of Sammy. When the boys saw all the girls, there were little one-liners including, "S-a-m-m-y" said in a 'shame on you' tone, to "You Dog" to Dean saying, "Why Sam, I thought you said you went away for your health". By this time they all were clamoring to get their hands on the cover, laughing, drinking and throwing one-liners back and forth. Then Sammy made a sign as if to tell the group to cut it out or shut up. It got really quiet again as Sammy took on a serious tone. "Something For Everyone?", that's the title?" Sammy asked. I responded with a straight and simple "Yes". Sammy shot back, "Why? Why should we call it Something For Everyone?" I proceeded to explain about the variety of the tune lineup and all the different girls. I told him how I felt he might think the title would sound cliche-ish, but in this circumstance, it was somehow honestly appropriate, and complimented the potpourri of tunes as well as the images. Just then I opened the 'book cover', exposing the center spread. That was the first time Sammy saw the text he wanted in place under the photo of him and the girls. The others were moving closer to read his words. They all seemed to like what they read, even Frank nodded as if to approve. Then they began to whisper back and forth, as I sat there. I felt so all alone; like in front of judges deciding weather I was going to prison, or be paroled. After what seemed like few minutes, Sammy, looked at me and said, "OK Deke, go with it" He smiled and shook my hand. The others followed by saying things like , "Nice job", etc. They all shook my hand and each gave a few words of praise.

It was over, I asked Sammy to go over the entire piece one more time. "You have to let me know now if you see any mistakes, anything that bothers you or anything you want to change. I didn't want to tell Sammy out right that I altered the pic, but I HAD to give him the opportunity to catch it. I felt, if actually seeing the Pot was that important to him, he would definitely see it. Sammy, started on the front and with his eyes slowly scanned each panel until he completed the back cover, and proudly said, "Where do I sign?". With the mockup signed, I placed it in my bag, said "Thank you, it was a pleasure meeting you all" and quickly headed out the double door, as Jimmy led the way. As soon as Jimmy closed the door I found us alone in the foyer. "How ya holding up", Jimmy asked. "Fine," I said. "Although I wasn't quite expecting the reception." "I know", Jimmy said, "but I want to tell you something important now. Deke, you have been inducted into 'The Clan", the pack. If there is anything you ever need, all you have to do is call." The chills went up and down my spine so fast, I felt so cold for a split second, and then a warm feeling embraced my entire body. I shook Jimmy's hand, and said 'Thank You, thanks for everything." I walked out the door and got in my car. As I started to put the key into the ignition, my hand started to shake. i started the car, paused a moment and said to myself, "Now THAT, was intense". Then I pulled out, and drove away.

Copyright 2008 Deke Richards. All rights reserved.

I hope the above, helps to answer some of your questions, as well as clear a few things up regarding the Sammy Davis, Jr. LP Motown released in 1970. At times, It was an emotional roller coaster ride for me. However, it will always remain a time that was filled with some of my fondest memories. It was a relationship, like no other. It was a bond I had never felt before. I am truly thankful for the time I got to spend with this very special person.