[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Answer this 82

Answer this 82

Hi again supremes fans,i got another one for ya, what supremes hit song was to be first recorded by another group but before the vocals could be sung berry snatched it for diana and co.?

"I Hear A Symphony" snatched from The Isleys?

Nope, keep tryin.

If I remember correctly, one of the Holland brothers or maybe Lamont did an interview and said that basically all of the songs they were writing in this period were intended for the Supremes. If they felt a song was right for them then they would give it to another group. Aside from "Where Did Our Love Go," all of the Supremes hits by HDH were written specifically for them. There are several hits for other groups that originally had the Supremes name attached...ex. Marvin Gaye's "Baby Don't You Do It," Four Tops' "Standing In The Shadows Of Love," the Elgins "Darling Baby," among many others.

"Someday We'll Be Together" was originally intended for Junior Walker, but got reassigned to Diana.

Arr&bee, so you're saying that the band track of the Supremes single you have in mind is documented on the session logs as being originally assigned to another group, within the Motown collection of labels - ?

Perhaps "Come See About Me" by Nella Dodds.

But if I recall, Nella's version was a cover of the Supremes song, Berry just got wind of it, and rushed released it.

I think something similar happened with the 5th Dimension and Diana over "Love Hangover".

I agree, Mary. The release of 'Come See About Me' by Nella Dodds wrongfooted Berry Gordy.

It made sense for Motown to give every attention towards completing any recording for a forthcoming single by The Supremes and then releasing it as quickly as possible, if 'Number One' hits were to be the aim.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    if i remember correctly, one of the holland brothers or maybe lamont did an interview and said that basically all of the songs they were writing in this period were intended for the supremes. If they felt a song was right for them then they would give it to another group. Aside from "where did our love go," all of the supremes hits by hdh were written specifically for them. There are several hits for other groups that originally had the supremes name attached...ex. Marvin gaye's "baby don't you do it," four tops' "standing in the shadows of love," the elgins "darling baby," among many others.

"someday we'll be together" was originally intended for junior walker, but got reassigned to diana.
    there ya go,that's it.

OK, got to let you have that one.....although it was not an original song, as it had already been recorded by Johnny [[Bristol) and Jackey [[Beavers) for Tri-Phi in 1961...but fair enough, that was not a Motown production.

You're right,but it was to be the followup to[what does it take]so it was by then motown's property.

Bring on 'Answer This 83'....

I'm about to.