[REMOVE ADS]

Lisa Fischer Question

Today I was circulating through the music channels on my TV cable and they played Lisa's hit "How Can I Ease the Pain." I remember liking this song at the time [[hard to believe it has been almost 25 years ago) and have often wondered what became of her.

As I listened to the song today, her range was even more amazing than I remembered and seemed comparable to Mariah Carey, who started out at roughly the same time frame as I recall. To my knowledge, Lisa only released the one album and had this one hit, whereas Mariah has had a remarkable career that is still going strong.

So how do we explain two artists with similar styles and voices having such widely different levels of success? Was it perhaps as simple as Lisa deciding that she didn't want it?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Today I was circulating through the music channels on my TV cable and they played Lisa's hit "How Can I Ease the Pain." I remember liking this song at the time [[hard to believe it has been almost 25 years ago) and have often wondered what became of her.

As I listened to the song today, her range was even more amazing than I remembered and seemed comparable to Mariah Carey, who started out at roughly the same time frame as I recall. To my knowledge, Lisa only released the one album and had this one hit, whereas Mariah has had a remarkable career that is still going strong.

So how do we explain two artists with similar styles and voices having such widely different levels of success? Was it perhaps as simple as Lisa deciding that she didn't want it?
    In one word, "yes"! Ms. Fischer discusses her decision at length in "20 Feet From Stardom". But of course the fuller answer is "deeper". Cutting to the present I saw Ms. Fischer live at Birdland in NYC back in May and she was superb. She does not really have a "hit single" style of singing; more of a freeform/jazz style is how she is singing nowadays. Take a look on YouTube!

I believe Lisa preferred singing background as opposed to being the star of the show. Besides Luther, Lisa has performed as a background singer for Tina Turner as well as the Rolling Stones. I am sure there are more acts she has performed with. I am going to see her here in Atlanta in September. I can't wait. I've always been crazy about Ms Lisa Fischer. I've always envisioned that I could become her sex toy. She is so beautiful and excitingly sexy - especially when she is ready for the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    I believe Lisa preferred singing background as opposed to being the star of the show. Besides Luther, Lisa has performed as a background singer for Tina Turner as well as the Rolling Stones. I am sure there are more acts she has performed with. I am going to see her here in Atlanta in September. I can't wait. I've always been crazy about Ms Lisa Fischer. I've always envisioned that I could become her sex toy. She is so beautiful and excitingly sexy - especially when she is ready for the spotlight.
    Congrats - you will be awed. No spoilers here!

RobertZ definitely go see Lisa's show. It's great and she is an awesome talent. I wouldn't mind the sex toy role, but since you got there first, I'll settle for accompanying her on stage as part of the band. It could happen....

Lisa did an interesting performance of "How Can I Ease the Pain" recently here, she still has it:

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    RobertZ definitely go see Lisa's show. It's great and she is an awesome talent. I wouldn't mind the sex toy role, but since you got there first, I'll settle for accompanying her on stage as part of the band. It could happen....
    Hi - just a clarifier - I have seen Ms. Fischer and she was wonderful - the "sex toy" thing was Ryon6's comment - definitely not the type of post I would write.

It's refreshing to see a talented person content with what they have.

please inform me as to WHAT connection is lisa fischer to MOTOWN????

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    please inform me as to WHAT connection is lisa fischer to MOTOWN????
    None that I can think of but she is an excellent performer so lets not be too critical!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    None that I can think of but she is an excellent performer so lets not be too critical!
    Amen. Though Ms. Fischer has probably done backing for Motown stars, if one wishes to pry. Not to mention this is the SD forum, not the Motown forum.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    Amen. Though Ms. Fischer has probably done backing for Motown stars, if one wishes to pry. Not to mention this is the SD forum, not the Motown forum.
    Absolutely my friend!

Thanks guys. I was not sure if the person was being critical or just asking, so I decided not to respond, fully expecting that some of you would. So as you eloquently pointed out, we discuss all aspects of soul music on here and I am glad to have this forum as a source of information. I learn something from you guys constantly.

Thanks guys. I was not sure if the person was being critical or just asking, so I decided not to respond, fully expecting that some of you would. So as you eloquently pointed out, we discuss all aspects of soul music on here and I am glad to have this forum as a source of information. I learn something from you guys constantly.
    Good response daviddesper. You are entitled to discuss any aspects of soul music on this forum and if anyone doesn't like it that is their problem. Keep the faith my friend!

I think he just made a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I think he just made a mistake.
    Who made a mistake?