[REMOVE ADS]

Cool charts; thanks for finding them. That Ross gal posts some serious numbers!

... and Stevie W nearly doubles the Tempts - a surprise there.

The Tops were hotter than the Tempts in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    By a LONG way.

Really interesting; perhaps the Northern Soul community thought the Tops were more R&B than the Temptations? I'm sure the groups were marked equally -

Although they now list the tracks credited to Diana Ross & The Supremes [[as opposed to just The Supremes) as part of Diana's solo output the last time they updated the biggest selling singles acts in the UK these were not included in Diana's totals.

The albums are a bit of a mess - they haven't realised that Diana had several with the same title.

Thus they have only one entry for the 1971 Diana! Soundtrack and the Chic-produced 1980 Diana album and they have assumed the 1970 and 1976 Diana Ross albums were the same release.

You are naughty lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    Really interesting; perhaps the Northern Soul community thought the Tops were more R&B than the Temptations? I'm sure the groups were marked equally -
    I'd say that it was because the FOUR TOPS were usually composed/produced by H-D-H. Those uptempo H-D-H productions in the 1964-67 period did a whole lot better in The UK than most Motown recordings by other production teams.

Though funnily the very first major Motown hit in The UK [["My Guy" by MARY WELLS) was produced by Smokey!!

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I'd say that it was because the FOUR TOPS were usually composed/produced by H-D-H. Those uptempo H-D-H productions in the 1964-67 period did a whole lot better in The UK than most Motown recordings by other production teams.

Though funnily the very first major Motown hit in The UK [["My Guy" by MARY WELLS) was produced by Smokey!!

Roger
    Interesting take; I think you are probably on the right track.

In comparison, The Temptations' records were, with some exceptions, generally more funky, R&B in composition and production.

The Four Tops records, despite Levi's impassioned, gruff lead vocals, were generally smoother. The addition of the Andantes created more of a dramatic, chorale effect...and the choruses on their records were more melodic than many Temptations records. Four Tops audiences would sing along to their songs.

In performance, the Four Tops had more of a genial, easy going stage manner than The Temptations, who were cool, urban and very sophisticated.

Finally, the British public took the Four Tops to their hearts, because they had regular hits, and visited the UK more regularly, so simply were more familiar than The Temptations.

The Tops were more popular in Canada than the Tempts as well. I think they were more pop oriented - like HDH were and at that time, it helped them be more popular when R & B was just awakening in Canada. And perhaps the UK.

One Motown performer who became much more popular in The UK than in The US was JIMMY RUFFIN .... in 1970 when he was a spent force in The US he managed to have three Top 10 singles in Britain ....

http://www.officialcharts.com/artist.../jimmy-ruffin/

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    You are naughty lol.
    I deserve a kick in the ass for that.

If the odd "person" didn't pick on Miss Ross, I wouldn't have put that up. I like Mary and her songs and her work ethic of later in life.

Mary really is a very talented lady.... Me thinks, that real success cannot necessarily be measured by chart performance alone...

Agreed. Berry Gordy was in the business of selling records, but also encouraged his artists towards long careers, while knowing that many would not, for many reasons, achieve that goal.

Selling units is an indication of popularity, but a short-term one for most in the recording industry.

A long career.... is success.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Agreed. Berry Gordy was in the business of selling records, but also encouraged his artists towards long careers, while knowing that many would not, for many reasons, achieve that goal.

Selling units is an indication of popularity, but a short-term one for most in the recording industry.

A long career.... is success.
    You are both right of course

It's interesting to see that, as a general rule, the Ross-lead Supremes singles charted lower in the UK than in the US; by contrast, the Jean-lead Supremes singles charted higher in the UK than in the US.

One easy explanation, one would assume, is that you had the Beatles, Herman's Hermits, The Stones, The Animals/Hollies/Byrds/Zombies, Dave Clark 5, etc. clogging up the charts in the 60's, leaving little room for three girls from Detroit.

Or maybe y'all just didn't like Diana's voice? LOL.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    It's interesting to see that, as a general rule, the Ross-lead Supremes singles charted lower in the UK than in the US; by contrast, the Jean-lead Supremes singles charted higher in the UK than in the US.

One easy explanation, one would assume, is that you had the Beatles, Herman's Hermits, The Stones, The Animals/Hollies/Byrds/Zombies, Dave Clark 5, etc. clogging up the charts in the 60's, leaving little room for three girls from Detroit.

Isn't it true that British radio stations were restricted in how much or how often they could play foreign [[ie Motown) records. I wonder how much that impacted chart positions.

I think it took a little time from R & B Music to take a hold and then the UK fell in love with everything Motown.

In Canada, it really took until Stop in the Name of Love for Motown to reach the masses. Baby Love started it. But even by 1970, it was hard to get much beyond My Girl from the Temptations on radio.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

We must have had an epiphany then for in the first few years of the 70s in the UK Diana was regarded as the world's leading female singer!

Although almost all Diana's studio albums charted in the UK many of them were quite small hits although she was an artist who sold very well in the Music Clubs which did big business in the UK in the 70s and especially 80s.

In the 70s and 80s any Diana Ross compilation sold by the bucketload culminating in the 4 times platinum One Woman: The Ultimate Collection in 1993 which didn't leave much scope for many more although those that were released generally reached at least Silver level.

Maybe surprisingly her biggest studio album in the UK was The Force Behind The Power which sold well over 500k twice as much as any other.

We are probably the only country in the world where it outsold 1980's Diana.

It's hard to understand why it didn't do better here considering it included three big singles - Upside Down which was agonisingly pipped to #1 at the last minute, My Old Piano which went top 5 and achieved Silver status and I'm Coming Out which made #13 but was in the charts over the christmas period and sold over 130k which was a good sale for the UK.

Diana's singles which made the year end top 100 UK charts

25 Baby Love
    32 Where Did Our Love Go

95 Stop! In The Name Of Love

57 You Can't Hurry Love

44 Reflections
    55 The Happening

55 I'm Gonna Make You Love Me [[with The Temptations)

72 Ain't No Mountain High Enough

8 I'm Still Waiting
    79 Remember Me

70 Touch Me In The Morning

46 You Are Everything [[with Marvin Gaye)
    85 All Of My Life

70 Do You Know Where You're Going To
    98 Love Hangover

22 Upside Down
    86 My Old Piano

48 Endless Love [[with Lionel Richie)
    54 Why Do Fools Fall In Love

95 Work That Body

5 Chain Reaction

17 When Yu Tell Me That You Love Me

93 If We Hold On Together

The ones that just missed: i.e. Breakers