[REMOVE ADS]

The Jean, Cindy, Lynda group

I just read an old Jean interview on soulmusic.com when her album came out where she talked about how these three were going to form a new group but it didn't work out so she released her solo album. Have others heard of this?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I just read an old Jean interview on soulmusic.com when her album came out where she talked about how these three were going to form a new group but it didn't work out so she released her solo album. Have others heard of this?
    Yeah that story ran in Jet Magazine. An earlier story had Jean, Cindy and Florence Ballard potentially forming a group back in the mid 70s.

Someone made that up,about Jean Cindy and Florence,i'm 100%sure of that.

I saw an old snippet from a newspaper in 1975 that said Stevie Wonder was producing new music for Jean & Lynda. No other Supreme was mentioned.

From what i was told, Richard Perry was gonna produced Jean and Lynda,he was a hot producer at the time.but jean changed her mind.and did a solo album.I Had To Fall In Love
    Last edited by REDHOT; 07-27-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah that story ran in Jet Magazine. An earlier story had Jean, Cindy and Florence Ballard potentially forming a group back in the mid 70s.
    Yeah Marv I read that in Right On magazine. I still have it the article

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Yeah Marv I read that in Right On magazine. I still have it the article
    Yep, ironically and sadly the rumor was mostly circulated in 1975 a year before Florence passed.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    From what i was told, Richard Perry was gonna produced Jean and Lynda,he was a hot producer at the time.but jean changed her mind.and did a solo album.I Had To Fall In Love
    In the article referenced to by Luke in the first post, it is Jean herself who says that she and Cindy and Lynda came up with the idea to form a new group. But Lynda and Cindy backed out, and then there was just Jean left and she went on to make her solo album with Bobby Martin.

After giving birth to her second son, Jean felt like she was ready to get back into the swing of things musically. "I guess around '76, I'd met with Linda and Cindy [[Birdsong) and we came up with the idea of forming a group but for whatever reason, it just didn't happen. But we'd taken the idea to a management company, Tentmakers [[who also handle, amongst others, L.T.D.) — with whom I became familiar through Benny Golson and he's really a spiritual brother, so I felt immediately that the vibes were right. When the whole group thing didn't happen with Linda and Cindy, they were kinda stuck with me!"

Which was very fortunate because producer Bobby Martin [[of Manhattans fame and one of Philadelphia's top arrangers, producers and musicians — responsible too for the current success for L.T.D.) was also working with Tentmakers and he immediately expressed a desire to work with Jean.

It is an interesting interview. Jean says that her leaving the Supremes was not supposed to be a solo event. The whole group was supposed to leave Motown, but Mary felt that the group owed their loyalty to Motown. Jean left and Lynda left soon after.

This interview is from 1978. It is interesting and the full interview is here.

http://www.soulmusic.com/index.asp?S=3&T=36&ART=946

wow that would have been the group.................Jean, Cindy and Flo.... or Jean, Cindy and Lynda.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    In the article referenced to by Luke in the first post, it is Jean herself who says that she and Cindy and Lynda came up with the idea to form a new group. But Lynda and Cindy backed out, and then there was just Jean left and she went on to make her solo album with Bobby Martin.

After giving birth to her second son, Jean felt like she was ready to get back into the swing of things musically. "I guess around '76, I'd met with Linda and Cindy [[Birdsong) and we came up with the idea of forming a group but for whatever reason, it just didn't happen. But we'd taken the idea to a management company, Tentmakers [[who also handle, amongst others, L.T.D.) — with whom I became familiar through Benny Golson and he's really a spiritual brother, so I felt immediately that the vibes were right. When the whole group thing didn't happen with Linda and Cindy, they were kinda stuck with me!"

Which was very fortunate because producer Bobby Martin [[of Manhattans fame and one of Philadelphia's top arrangers, producers and musicians — responsible too for the current success for L.T.D.) was also working with Tentmakers and he immediately expressed a desire to work with Jean.

It is an interesting interview. Jean says that her leaving the Supremes was not supposed to be a solo event. The whole group was supposed to leave Motown, but Mary felt that the group owed their loyalty to Motown. Jean left and Lynda left soon after.

This interview is from 1978. It is interesting and the full interview is here.

The "new group" I am certain you are referring to is the FLO's aka Former Ladies of the Supremes. Jean Terrell nothing to do with the origins of that group. It was Scherrie Payne who was approached by a record label [[Superstar International Records I believe) in 1985 about the idea of regrouping the Supremes. Scherrie asked Mary and she decline. She went on to recruit Jean Terrell and Cindy Birdsong.

Marv, that what I thought too until I read the interview by Jean
    which is from 1978. The incident that she is referring to took place about the same time as her A&M LP, and when Cindy and Lynda backed out, Jean wound up doing a solo LP.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Marv, that what I thought too until I read the interview by Jean
    which is from 1978. The incident that she is referring to took place about the same time as her A&M LP, and when Cindy and Lynda backed out, Jean wound up doing a solo LP.

I remember all of it, especially what was happening in 1978. See, by 1976 Jean, nor Ly nda were not hitting on much and were already to get back to work from being stay at home moms. Jet reported on a possible re-grouping with Jean and Lynda in a 1976 issue. When Jean recorded her album in 1978, Lynda Laurence was one of the backing vocalists. Cindy Birdsong was doing stage plays out in Los Angeles and the rumor about Florence being included was dashed eternally upon her death in '76. So technically there were not enough former Supremes yet available at that time. The whole idea of putting together the Supremes again did not happen again until 1985 and it was started with Scherrie Payne and it was a whole new, seperate deal from what Jean may have been involved in back in the 70s That is all I am trying to point out.

Florence Ballard lived in detroit,all the other Supremes,lived in los angeles ca,sure that rumor was out,about Florence gettin' together with Jean and Cindy,not true.you are right Marv,Scherrie did ask Mary to join her,in former Ladies Of The Supremes,a lot of people don't know this,the first group of Former Ladies Of The Supremes,was Scherrie Cindy and Jean,Cindy changed her mind,and they got Lynda Laurence.

I think there was also talk, shortly after Motown 25 [[around the time of the Temptations "reunion") that Mary, Scherrie and Cindy would re-form the group. I believe Suzanne may have been behind this. Mary apparently talked to Berry and Berry didn't think it was a good idea. Or something like that. I think Mary mentions it in "Supreme Faith".

You're so right Marybrewster,there was talk,about The Supremes Mary Cindy and Scherrie gettin' back together,i forgot what happen,with it tho,maybe Marv knows what happen,with the deal,

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I think there was also talk, shortly after Motown 25 [[around the time of the Temptations "reunion") that Mary, Scherrie and Cindy would re-form the group. I believe Suzanne may have been behind this. Mary apparently talked to Berry and Berry didn't think it was a good idea. Or something like that. I think Mary mentions it in "Supreme Faith".
    Yeah that was accurate, there were plans to reunite the post-Diana lineup but Mary wasn't interested because she was trying to establish a solo career at the time.

Makes you wonder what impact Mary, Scherrie and Cindy would have had if they did move forward with this. Perhaps, like the Temptations, there would have been some recordings and a tour. Of all the groupings, it seems like MSC got along quite well, even still to this day.

Give me The Supremes Mary Scherrie and Susaye anyday,don't get me wrong,i love Cindy Birdsong,and if it had happen with Cindy,i would have still been happy,The Mary Scherrie and Susaye line up, were the power vocal's,they're performance on stage was incredible.

Give me The Supremes Mary Scherrie and Susaye anyday,don't get me wrong,i love Cindy Birdsong,and if it had happen with Cindy,i would have still been happy,The Mary Scherrie and Susaye line up, were the power vocal's,they're performance on stage was incredible.
    Agreed. There were so many opportunities missed with Mary, Scherrie and Cindy and Mary, Scherrie and Susaye. In this respect, the baggage of the group weighed on what were stellar singing groups. I've often thought that they simply should have retired the name "Supremes" either in 1970 or after Jean and Lynda left and started afresh or perhaps a little different like LaBelle.

Thanks Thanxal,you made a good point,music was changing.

No, that occurred in 1982 the after Diana Ross left Berry and Motown. It was during this time that Berry was mulling over ideas to get back at Diane for leaving. What better way he must have thought than to re-sign the Supremes and earnestly promote them this time. After thinking it over I guess he felt that was not the best way.

No, that occurred in 1982 the after Diana Ross left Berry and Motown. It was during this time that Berry was mulling over ideas to get back at Diane for leaving. What better way he must have thought than to re-sign the Supremes and earnestly promote them this time. After thinking it over I guess he felt that was not the best way.

Still I can just imagine Lynda, Cindy and Jean as a group.......................I think that would have really worked.

I don't know about it being payback for Diana leaving him [[I mean if I only had $300,000 in my account after 20 years of making multi-million dollar hits for a label, I'd get the heck out of Dodge too). Plus the story I heard of the possible Supremes reunion was to match what had been [[modestly at best) accomplished with the Temptations though in that sense most of the famed former members combined with the then-current lineup to reunite. Plus while the Tempts had Rick James to present them to a youthful R&B audience, what did the Supremes have at that time since they had stopped in 1977?

There is of course absolutely no truth that BG wanted a Supremes reunion to spite Diana Ross.

The idea came from dePasse after the success of The Temptations Reunion tour of 1982. However, that tour was quite costly and plagued with enormous problems. dePasse approached Mary about a Supremes reunion to coincide with that tour in late 1982. The talk was that Mary would tour with Scherrie and Cindy. When Mary went to BG about the idea it was quite obvious to her that he was not interested. dePasse then turned her attentions into the now famous Motown 25 show, which was the mutha of all reunions.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I don't know about it being payback for Diana leaving him [[I mean if I only had $300,000 in my account after 20 years of making multi-million dollar hits for a label, I'd get the heck out of Dodge too). Plus the story I heard of the possible Supremes reunion was to match what had been [[modestly at best) accomplished with the Temptations though in that sense most of the famed former members combined with the then-current lineup to reunite. Plus while the Tempts had Rick James to present them to a youthful R&B audience, what did the Supremes have at that time since they had stopped in 1977?
    That's what it was about at the root. Had been you , yeah you would have handled things differently. Diane and Berry were playing a different game.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    There is of course absolutely no truth that BG wanted a Supremes reunion to spite Diana Ross.

The idea came from dePasse after the success of The Temptations Reunion tour of 1982. However, that tour was quite costly and plagued with enormous problems. dePasse approached Mary about a Supremes reunion to coincide with that tour in late 1982. The talk was that Mary would tour with Scherrie and Cindy. When Mary went to BG about the idea it was quite obvious to her that he was not interested. dePasse then turned her attentions into the now famous Motown 25 show, which was the mutha of all reunions.
    Thank you so much for providing accuratte information,

respectfully.

Roberta

Thanks Bayou. I forgot Suzanne played a part in it.. makes sense. Anything suggesting some plot seems out of the ordinary in my book. But that's how I see it.

Thank Goodness Mary had enough sense to see that BG was not going to back this grouping.

I remember reading that story in soul magazine but wanted her name in front, and only wanted scherrie and cindy but gordy didnt want to support the billing of mary wilson and the supremes.

supremester Guest
    I think the spiteful angle is total horse crap. They loved each other and he was hurt badly - not able to see her POV [[set for life with one signature..... vs working her ass off for HIM? c'mon....) It was explained to him, it was the smartest thing she ever did.

But also: how would it spite her? She was at the zenith of her career: 7 top 10's in 3 years, 13 weeks at #1, sold out arena tours world wide at record high prices. Nothing the new SMC group did could effect Miss Ross and I'm certain she'd be glad for their success. It's Mary who, I'm told, had a grudge against Diana and was competitive against after Jan 14. Even in her book she goes to a big stretch to indicate JMC being a bigger success that Ross solo. Whatever. I don't think it would spite her at all and furthermore, BG would know that about her. They weren't that childish and petty.

I think SMC2 would have had a great shot in '82. With Suzanne DePasse in charge instead of inept Pedro, they'd have a visionary at the helm. Unlike the 70's, Motown had fewer acts and a lot more time to focus on The Supremes. I wish they would have given it a shot for a few years - what was there to lose? Motown was funding it all, the only issue was they wouldn't let Mary sing lead which hopefully could have been worked out with featured spots in the show for her ballads and How Lucky Can You Get medley. BG would have backed anything Suzanne had her focus on. Motown was not making a ton of dough and could have used a Supreme cash infusion.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I think the spiteful angle is total horse crap. They loved each other and he was hurt badly - not able to see her POV [[set for life with one signature..... vs working her ass off for HIM? c'mon....) It was explained to him, it was the smartest thing she ever did.

Yeah that's why he took back everything he could from her including the yellow rolls royce, furs and think that house out there were on "loan" to her by Motown. He wasn't even returning her phone calls any longer. It got so bad that she alluded to it in an interview that she did not believe he could just stop loving her.......... So believe what you want!

In most businesses, company cars and supplied housing have to be given up after you leave employment. So I don't consider that personal or bitter. Just business.

However, I do think that he was hurt when she left and felt unappreciated. But she learned from him. It is business, not personal.

I thought this topic was about The Jean Cindy Lynda group, Really?

I thought this topic was about The Jean Cindy Lynda group, Really?
    Could you clear out your mailbox so that I can send you that web address?

For sure Marv lol