[REMOVE ADS]

Thumbs up Eddie Kendricks - My People Hold On!

GIT IT, CORN!!! And the statement definitely holds true RIGHT NOW.

One of my favorite albums period!

Eddie threw down with this album. I wore this damn thing out. As a solo artist Eddie got to
    use the full extant of his vocal range not just the high notes he was known for. He could
    wail, growl, howl, even rap with the best of them and be as poignant in his delivery as his
    lablemate Marvin Gaye. Just Memories does exactly that. Again, like Marvin, he could multi-
    track his different voices effectively as he does on Eddie's Love and ride a rhythm as well as
    any jazz singer like he does on Date With The Rain. Eddie was so good he often made me
    overlook what else was going on musically at that particular time. And I still funkin' miss him...

A top cut from the album...............still sounds good!

This one is considered by many to be the first "Disco" record:

^ It's definitely up there as one of the first...

I love Eddie Kendrick's People Hold On album,Girl You Need A Change Of Mind,a lot of people would be steppin',on it,Date With The Rain too,Eddie could have been a Super Star,he had many hits,love Keep On Truckin', Can I,Boogie Down,It's So Hard,For Me To Say Goodbye,He's A Friend Of Mind,and many others

God love Eddie. He could have achieved so much more. He seemed to go off the rails. Was this anything to do with a certain Mr Ruffin? They both were unique talents but battled their inner demons and ultimately lost. Despite their obvious talents the Temps carried on with vocalists of similar abilty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    God love Eddie. He could have achieved so much more. He seemed to go off the rails. Was this anything to do with a certain Mr Ruffin? They both were unique talents but battled their inner demons and ultimately lost. Despite their obvious talents the Temps carried on with vocalists of similar abilty.
    Eddie Kendricks was the most successful former member of The Temptations. He enjoyed major hits beginning with his third album [["Eddie Kendricks" from 1973) through "He's A Friend" in 1976. Eddie didn't get strong material after leaving Motown and his chain smoking started causing problems with the voice. And yes, both Eddie and David Ruffin would lose their battles with their demons and would both be gone too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

GIT IT, CORN!!! And the statement definitely holds true RIGHT NOW.
    Good one! While Eddie Kendricks would start enjoying major success with the self titled follow up to "People Hold On", this album is a keeper. Everything from strong message songs [[the title track), proto disco dance tracks [['Girl You Need A Change Of Mind' & 'Date With The Rain') to warm romantic soul [['Just Memories', 'If You Let Me) is here.

Too bad that smokey and eddie didn't work together during his solo years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It was always rumored - but never confirmed - that Eddie was on the same white pony that eventually killed David [[it's hinted he did try some coke on the Tempts miniseries, peer pressured by Ruff)... I hope his surviving brothers releases a book on him to discuss why after years of success did the hits stop coming?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    It was always rumored - but never confirmed - that Eddie was on the same white pony that eventually killed David [[it's hinted he did try some coke on the Tempts miniseries, peer pressured by Ruff)... I hope his surviving brothers releases a book on him to discuss why after years of success did the hits stop coming?
    According to to Dennis Edwards [[when he was interviewed by "Unsung" for their profile on Eddie Kendricks), Eddie didn't have a drug problem but he did say that his habit was smoking cigarettes. It would be great if Eddie's brothers do a book on him so we can see why the hits stopped coming [[and other matters).

^ Yeah I do remember that and I think that's more accurate than trying to hint that Eddie tried harder drugs... I mean I wouldn't be shocked if he did try them recreationally but then quit because he didn't think it was good for him. But yeah he was addicted to those cigarettes.