[REMOVE ADS]

For those with large record collections only

No i haven't retired,so pay attention,now if you played each record in your collection back to back how long do you think it would take you to play em all?..a week? A month?? A year???...yeah i know you've never thought about it,well i have but don't have the time to actually try it and you may not either,but it's something to chew on,hmmmmm?

Are we talking records only and excluding cassettes, reel to reel tapes, vhs videos and cd's?

Even if it's just records, you'd certainly have to beat Sleeping Beauty's own record to work your way through all those multiple copies of yours.......LOL

I've got about 600 vinyl records, 200 cassettes, and at least 2,000 CDs. Assuming 40 minutes per record, that comes out to 1,866 hours and 40 minutes or nearly 78 days to listen to all of them. I've got about twice that amount on my computer.

thomas96 Guest
    I'm not sure I could get that done in a year...

I have all of my music archived to digital and stored on hard drives. So, I am going to ignore the concept of "records".

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 75,000 songs. If I assume that the average length of a song is four minutes, i'd hazard a guess of about nine months non-stop listening.

I believe i said-r-e-c-o-r-d-s not cassettes not cd's[yuck]good ol vinyl it can be albums and 45's.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I believe i said-r-e-c-o-r-d-s not cassettes not cd's[yuck]good ol vinyl it can be albums and 45's.
    And, when you say that, you exclude all of us who do not physically play our r-e-c-o-r-d-s. You exclude all of we who have CDs and downloads. You exclude all of us who have ripped our collections to hard drives/servers. The world has changed, you know.

I have something like 1800 vinyl record albums so I am going to guess 5-6 months?

Are we talking how long they actually play? Because I have some disco records that seem to play for days.

Forget about it! FOREVER!!!

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    and, when you say that, you exclude all of us who do not physically play our r-e-c-o-r-d-s. You exclude all of we who have cds and downloads. You exclude all of us who have ripped our collections to hard drives/servers. The world has changed, you know.
    you know soulster,you're right the world has changed......but not this post...you're excluded!!

1800?...marv i might adopt you...jerry play em if you got em...sis i think you may have a classic collection for the ages!!

you know soulster,you're right the world has changed......but not this post...you're excluded!!
    Nope! I still own thousands of vinyl records. They are just transcribed to digital.

Nope! I still own thousands of vinyl records. They are just transcribed to digital.
    I don't have as many on vinyl, but you kind of shamed me out of transcribing them in compressed format. All this year, I've been putting them into .WAV. I was wanting to do that anyway but was being chintzy with my drive space. Now I figured I've got to TB, so why not.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I don't have as many on vinyl, but you kind of shamed me out of transcribing them in compressed format. All this year, I've been putting them into .WAV. I was wanting to do that anyway but was being chintzy with my drive space. Now I figured I've got to TB, so why not.
    To be clear, I use a DATA compressed format! I use FLAC, which is lossless. Most people somehow assume mp3 or AAC, but I use lossless so that there is NO loss in sound quality. Lossless sounds exactly the same as .wav.

Thanks for the advice.
    [/QUOTE]

Interesting. What program do you use for playback?

nope! I still own thousands of vinyl records. They are just transcribed to digital.
    hehehehehehe,you're not called soulster for nothing.

Jerry,good disguise,now you can go down to greasy grady's and order some[oriental noodles]i hear those noodles move and word on the street says that one of those noodles licked it's tongue at a customer and greasy is being sued again.

Interesting. What program do you use for playback?
    I prefer Foobar with a darkone skin.

I prefer a turntable and stylus.

I prefer a turntable and stylus.
    I love the sound potential of records, but I hate having to keep the records clean, wiping the stylus, having to turn the record over after 18 or so minutes, surface noise, clicks and pops...this is why I record them into the computer and clean them up. That way, they can sound as good as, even better than they were brand new. And I have a nice turntable and an expensive cartridge with a microline stylus that digs deep into the grooves. It totally cuts out the distortion. With software, I can tweak them just like in the studio, and play them from my computer or transport through the big stereo, the one in the bedroom, or in the car.

But, getting back to the topic: if I put everything together and play it non-stop, Yeah, i'm figuring it to be about nine months.

See soulster,if you hadn't been playing around with all those fancy technology doodads you would've answered a long time ago..hehehehe!!!

See soulster,if you hadn't been playing around with all those fancy technology doodads you would've answered a long time ago..hehehehe!!!
    But, I did. You just probably got angry and missed it.

For me, moving from playing records [[and tapes) to digital files is a natural progression. My results sound like they could have come right off the master tapes. Mostly, I don't mess with the sound of the records, I just carefully clean them up.

I love the sound of records. About three years ago, I put on one after 15 years or so of ignoring them and expected them to sound flat compared to all of the digital I had listened to since the late '80s. Surprisingly, the stereo was robust and I remembered why I enjoyed them so much back in the day. Plus, I can't find about 80% of my vinyl available on digital, so putting them on my computer was a great way to go in order to reacquaint myself with my younger self.

The only problem [[if it is one) is that you cannot download analog as quick as I've become used to with digital. That 'problem' is mitigated by the fact that I have discovered hidden gems on albums that I ignored 30-35 years ago. Better late than ever.

I love the sound of records. About three years ago, I put on one after 15 years or so of ignoring them and expected them to sound flat compared to all of the digital I had listened to since the late '80s. Surprisingly, the stereo was robust and I remembered why I enjoyed them so much back in the day. Plus, I can't find about 80% of my vinyl available on digital, so putting them on my computer was a great way to go in order to reacquaint myself with my younger self.
    On the contrary, all things being equal, CD and records should sound about the same, frequency response-wise. The dynamics and frequency response of digital will be superior. But, the microdynamics [[intricate detail) and nuances will be better with vinyl. The other advantage of digital is speed stability.

The only problem [[if it is one) is that you cannot download analog as quick as I've become used to with digital. That 'problem' is mitigated by the fact that I have discovered hidden gems on albums that I ignored 30-35 years ago. Better late than ever.
    Uh...download analog? How does one download analog, and from what?

Hey jerry,i once tried find my younger self,but when he saw me he ran away.

Let's just say you're twice the man you used to be.....

Uh...download analog? How does one download analog, and from what?
    Change 'download' to 'digitize', soulster. I can download or transfer a song in seconds but it takes as long to digitize a song as it takes to play on the turntable. Then, it takes a while to clean it and tag it.

Hey jerry that[clean and tag it]you never had to worry about greasy grady ever doing that to his meats,hehehehehe!!

Change 'download' to 'digitize', soulster. I can download or transfer a song in seconds but it takes as long to digitize a song as it takes to play on the turntable. Then, it takes a while to clean it and tag it.
    Sure! I can take me days, since I still have a job and a life. I am a perfectionist, and I want it right. So, it takes as little or as long as I want to make it sound its best.

The perfectionist,sounds like a good name for a singing group of course they would have to have....perfect pitch!!!

The perfectionist,sounds like a good name for a singing group of course they would have to have....perfect pitch!!!
    And, the musicians can't use autotune.