[REMOVE ADS]

Billy Stewart Story

It's "Summertime" which made me think of the great Billy Stewart. Check out his story:

History in the making................from Summer 1966:

Although I saw him perform at both the Howard & the Apollo the coolest performance I saw him do was an impromptu performance at his own club the Blue Angel in D.C. with him sitting at the piano.

Love all his work but the best for me was "Cross My Heart".

Nice job, Mike!

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    Although I saw him perform at both the Howard & the Apollo the coolest performance I saw him do was an impromptu performance at his own club the Blue Angel in D.C. with him sitting at the piano.

Love all his work but the best for me was "Cross My Heart".

Nice job, Mike!

S.S.
    Sister, he was pure talent and I regret not being able to see him when we had him!

BTW, every artist made their money touring, they never made any money from royalties, if in fact, they ever got paid royalties.

S.S.

Marv, he was always sounding great. I saw him in 1966 & 1967.

S.S.

I'm afraid I only got into him around 15 years ago but since then I have realised what a mighty talent he was. They don't make them like that anymore.

What happened to pt.2? I've always wanted know more about Billy. He seemed like such a nice person from what I've gathered.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    What happened to pt.2? I've always wanted know more about Billy. He seemed like such a nice person from what I've gathered.
    I am looking for it and will post it once I locate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    Marv, he was always sounding great. I saw him in 1966 & 1967.

S.S.
    You are one that definitely should write a book about your amazing experiences Sister!

Hey sis,do you remember the barbershop on the corner of[7th&t]? Many singers got thier hair done there and once i saw billy getting his done there too..just a bit of[d.c.]soul music history.

Great,great post marv,good to hear the chancellor too.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Great,great post marv,good to hear the chancellor too.

Thanks JAI. I want to start a thread about the ORIGINAL Moments , you know the ones that really sang "Not On the Outside".

R & B,
    Yes, I remember the barbeque/soul food joint, and the Pitt/ the motor-inn they all stayed at. That hotel was the pitts, lol, no wonder they all called it that!

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    thanks jai. I want to start a thread about the original moments , you know the ones that really sang "not on the outside".
    oh,mark green's moments.

oh,mark green's moments.
    Yes! Those Moments. The originial group.

I saw them at the howard when the song came out,and to this day whenever mark green is on a radio station he will go on and on about being the lead singer of the moments...question marv,did he leave for a solo career or was he fired?

I saw them at the howard when the song came out,and to this day whenever mark green is on a radio station he will go on and on about being the lead singer of the moments...question marv,did he leave for a solo career or was he fired?
    Well that song is a classic [[it use to get played a LOT in Detroit/Toledo at the time). I was never sure what happened other than when Sylvia Robinson and her husband got involved with the group you had confusing things going on like the picture of three different guys on the LP cover from the guys actually singing on the record inside. I believe Mark just left.

Billy Stewart was a great talent and a nice man.I met him in Oct.'66, The Wilson Pickett Show at Orlando Municipal Auditorium.I wrangled my way into getting on the show being backed by Picketts band, I had 2 songs "Working In A Coal Mine" & "Uptight" anyway Billy really took me under his wings so to speak & gave me a lot of tips we had a great day & night backstage .His wife or girlfriend was really sweet & cool.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Billy Stewart was a great talent and a nice man.I met him in Oct.'66, The Wilson Pickett Show at Orlando Municipal Auditorium.I wrangled my way into getting on the show being backed by Picketts band, I had 2 songs "Working In A Coal Mine" & "Uptight" anyway Billy really took me under his wings so to speak & gave me a lot of tips we had a great day & night backstage .His wife or girlfriend was really sweet & cool.
    Motony that is a great story and a great memory. Thank you!

i have a good story about Billy Stewart...............apparently while he was performing in the UK in 1966 he was singing his "Sitting in the Park" which had recently been covered by UK artist Georgie Fame and was a big hit for Georgie..someone in the audience shouted out "Georgie Fame"........an irate Billy climbed down off the stage and chased the person out of the club............i wouldnt want to be pursued by Big Bill

Waitin for pt.2

I'm a waiting also.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Thank you very much Mr. June.

If billy had lived i believe his career would've really taken off, one of the best ever.

This is good, the narration could have been a bit better, but very informative just the same.

He was a very top-rate performer! Watching him with a mic with a long cord as back then there were no cordless microphones. Even some of his publicity photos pictured him with a mic because of how he used it on stage.
    Soul Sister is so right about making their money from performances. I remember the Crystals told me Phil Spector told them that the record company really gives you the hits so you can go out and make your money performing. That seems to have been the general consensus in the industry at that time.

Randi - Same as it ever was! lol

Marv, the problem with doing a story on the Original Moments is the real story hasn't been commonly known until it was finally cleared up a few years ago.

The Original Moments were Eric Olfus Sr., Richard Gross and John Morgan, who formed around 1964 or 65 & in 1965 recorded for the Hog label, which was owned by The Perrin Brothers.

They released on 45, "Pray For Me" for the Hog label, but the lineup at that time was Olfus, Gross and Morgan, Mark Greene joined after the single was released. Eventually, via Ed Townsend, they found their way to Jersey & Joe & Sylvia Robinson.

This was the lineup that recorded "Not On The Outside". Unfortunately, we all know what happened after an Apollo appearance, which led to the dissolution of that group, finding Al Goodman & Billy Brown being brought in join John Morgan, the only original Moment left.

As I think about it, as they all recorded for All Platinum or Stang, I can ask Rhetta Young or Lezli Valentine [[who recorded the original version of "Love On A Two-Way Street") what they remember about those recordings.

After this, Mark Greene & Richard Gross, Eric Olfus or the original Moments lineup added Donald Spriggs & on Volt Records, recorded as The Leaders, who cut a couple of 45s in 1971 & 72.

Because of their limited recording, it would be kinda hard to write very much about that original lineup, as the classic lineup of The Moments began when Al Goodman & Billy Brown came aboard & a year later when Harry Ray joined.

For historical purposes, it's really good information to know. And though the revelations of the original lineup don't negatively affect the lineup which we've all come to know & love, if nothing else, I'm glad that the information has hit the light of day.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 10-01-2015 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Marv, the problem with doing a story on the Original Moments is the real story hasn't been commonly known until it was finally cleared up a few years ago.

The Original Moments were Eric Olfus Sr., Richard Gross and John Morgan, who formed around 1964 or 65 & in 1965 recorded for the Hog label, which was owned by The Perrin Brothers.

They released on 45, "Pray For Me" for the Hog label, but the lineup at that time was Olfus, Gross and Morgan, Mark Greene joined after the single was released. Eventually, via Ed Townsend, they found their way to Jersey & Joe & Sylvia Robinson.

This was the lineup that recorded "Not On The Outside". Unfortunately, we all know what happened after an Apollo appearance, which led to the dissolution of that group, finding Al Goodman & Billy Brown being brought in join John Morgan, the only original Moment left.

As I think about it, as they all recorded for All Platinum or Stang, I can ask Rhetta Young or Lezli Valentine [[who recorded the original version of "Love On A Two-Way Street") what they remember about those recordings.

After this, Mark Greene & Richard Gross, Eric Olfus or the original Moments lineup added Donald Spriggs & on Volt Records, recorded as The Leaders, who cut a couple of 45s in 1971 & 72.

Because of their limited recording, it would be kinda hard to write very much about that original lineup, as the classic lineup of The Moments began when Al Goodman & Billy Brown came aboard & a year later when Harry Ray joined.

For historical purposes, it's really good information to know. And though the revelations of the original lineup don't negatively affect the lineup which we've all come to know & love, if nothing else, I'm glad that the information has hit the light of day.

Juice , thank you. Their story sounds a bit complicated, but all the more interesting. I can remember as an 8 & 9 year old at the top of my lungs singing "Not On the Outside" while cleaning my room. LOL! I believe Mark Greene is still with us.....right?

Yes Marv, he's still with us. And yes, the story was a bit complicated. Fortunately, Al Goodman & Billy Brown were always forthcoming about how they entered the group & never attempted to claim that they were the original members.

I always appreciated them for being honest about that.