[REMOVE ADS]

Norma Shearer/Joan Crawford/Rosalind Russell in THE WOMEN [[1939) - 111 Mins.

Directed by George Cukor

https://youtu.be/5RbJbYUFL_w

Many thanks to Galne Konn for this YouTube posting.

Great movie. Jungle Red! LOL! Love Roz....esp. in "Roughly Speaking" and "Gypsy". George Cukor was an interesting character.

I love 1930's glamorous movie stars and the movies of the era. My Aunt was also a movie star in the 1930's & 40's Alice Faye.

Love Clark Gable and George Raft, my two favorites of the men!!

S.S.

Soul Sister...

Am very interested to read that you are the niece of Alice Faye!

If you've not already done so, check out the Motown forum thread :

Diana's Duets : The Diana Ross Project Review

especially posts #27-36.

They might interest you enough to add a comment there...

Thanks westgrandboulevard,
    I did post there.
    I tried to post another photo from that same session but wouldn't upload.
    I had a problem with photo posting for some time. Always says it exceeds a certain size limit blah blah blah.....no matter what size or photo I try to upload. [[???)

S.S.

Soul Sister....

I've just read your post on the other thread. That's a very interesting life you have led!

I wish I knew more about photo posting, and could help you. It's one of those fascinating but baffling technological things which can make a person feel like somehow they have missed a few decades...

Here's hoping one of the other more technically proficient members can help you out.....

Yes, I have, most people would not even believe it if I told the story, lol.................

We didn't see Alice growing up as she lived in Californis and the rest of the extended family lived in N.J. & N.Y. She was my Uncle's first cousin, their two father's were brothers, Charlie & Tommy Leppert.

Thanks westgb. I can dig it on the techy stuff. There must be some glitch with my PC & this site. Facebook post any and all pics, all sizes too!!

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    I love 1930's glamorous movie stars and the movies of the era. My Aunt was also a movie star in the 1930's & 40's Alice Faye.

Love Clark Gable and George Raft, my two favorites of the men!!

S.S.
    I love Alice Faye. What a great singer. I've read that her company, 20th Century Fox, wouldn't let her record very many records because they were afraid it would cut in on the movie profits of her features. Very stupid and tragic mistake. Hence, there are not that many recordings available of Alice Faye. They did this with several of their contractees, including even Ethel Merman.

Hi Kenneth,
    That seems to be a standard industry practice. Joe Pesci told me he couldn't put out CD's or do his own concerts [[he's recorded several albums but only was ever released under Joe Doggs with Joey DeFrancesco) because they only wanted him to be an actor, he couldn't do both as a career. He's not a bad singer either. He recorded with Jimmy too, plus Arturo Sandoval, Pat Methiny, and Quincy Jones has been after him for years to go in the studio and do an album with him but he refuses. [[chuckle).......

I have the CD Got My Mind On Love Music from Alice. She sang in all of her movies.

S.S.

S.S.....

Just checking.....have you viewed the clip of Alice singing "You'll Never Know" on the Royal Variety Performance...?

NO. Cannot remember if i did in past years, short term memory is not always the best these days. I will. Thanks wgb.

S.S.

I'm unable to do it myself right now, but perhaps one of our fellow members [[maybe Methuselah2, as this is his thread...? ) can kindly locate it for us, and post it here.

The clip I've seen is not of great picture quality, but gives a good representation of Alice's appearance on the show. She is elegantly dressed in a black gown with white/ silver embellishments on the sleeves.

At the end of "You'll Never Know" when Alice turns stage right and looks up, she is acknowledging the unseen presence of HM Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip sitting in the Royal Box, who would surely have remembered her, as would HM Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother.

Here's what I was able to locate:

The finale of the Royal Variety Performance, 1985.

Alice Faye appears with everyone on stage at about 2:55 on the timer. And then she appears a bit later meeting Queen Elizabeth.

YouTube posting by Adrian Pegg. Many thanks.

https://youtu.be/XLbfCQ7Cg2M

AND:

14 mins. of the documentary
    ALICE FAYE: A LIFE OFF SCREEN

Very interesting clip.

YouTube posting by Saa Grenansa. Many thanks.

The posting for this clip mentions the 1985 RVP with Alice and Don Ameche but it's not been included. [[And about 5 mins. of the clip are repeated at the very end of it.)

https://youtu.be/jJ0Sm4W7ERM
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 07-15-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Voila!
    Alice Faye - The Royal Variety Performance, 1985--
    "You'll Never Know":

https://youtu.be/RGeLg7QGpgw

Thanks to Buzz Stephens for the YouTube posting.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 07-15-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Excellent, Meth2!!! You found it...and with bonuses.....

Up until fairly recent times, the custom in the UK was to applaud at the end of a song, and generally not to applaud in recognition, at the beginning. To do that was respected as being a custom of the more spontaneous American audiences.

The Royal Variety audience tends to be more middle and senior in age, and reserves its warmest responses for established entertainers who are 'of a certain age'. It is an indication of the affection held by that age group for Alice, that she received applause as she started to sing. In the UK, to many people, Alice Faye was up there with all the major female movie stars.

There is also a clip of Alice with Perry Como, singing a medley from 1962, which includes "You'll Never Know"...and the link for the documentary clip you provided is very interesting, including interviews with her daughters Alice and Phyllis.

Alice sounds like a really nice lady, who put her priorities in the right order......
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 07-16-2015 at 09:08 AM.

WOW!!! THANKS GUYS!! ~
    I didn't she was still performing after 1962, she looks great here for 70 years old!

AWESOME!!!

S.S.

YES! She put her family before her career.

S.S.