[REMOVE ADS]

Verdelle Smith - anyone famliar?

From the Dusty Groove site - an addiction for me!
    https://www.dustygroove.com/item/647095

I LOVE the song Tar & Cement. The 45 had a longer intro.

It was also famous by Francoise Hardy as La Maison ou J'ai grandi

Yes. I found the LP "Alone In My Room" several years ago while crate-digging. It was a little too cabaret-ish for me. But the title song "In My Room" is very Dusty Springfield-baroque.

"A Piece Of The Sky" the b-side of "Tar & Cement" is an absolute forgotten gem that should be in every collection & the reason why I bought this cd despite having the 45. "If You Can't Say Anything Nice [[Don't Say Nothin' At All)" is another excellent track. The CD as a whole is an enjoyable easy listening experience, nice arrangement of Duke Ellington's "Don't Get Around Much Anymore". Not an album you would play over & over again, however a nice listen every now & then [such as now for me] & worth buying for the afore mentioned "A Of The Sky".

Thanks, everyone, for your comments - I was stumped, never having heard of this singer!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  21.1 KB
    I love "If You Can't Say Anything Nice" best of her recordings. It sounds like a Bachrach-David tune.

I agree Robb it does sound like Bacharach-David tune, however it was written by Lee Pockriss & Paul Vance who wrote most of the original songs on the CD.

In 2005, there was a thread on SDF titled "Top 5 Saddest Songs". "Tar and Cement" was one of my choices for this.