[REMOVE ADS]

Trailer: STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON [[2015) - Opens August 2015

Directed by F. Gary Gray

https://youtu.be/oyoew4T74_w

It'll be on dvd next year spring. I'll see it then, I hope...

Yeah, i'll wait until it comes out on home video first.

I remember buying 'Straight Outta Compton' when it first dropped. I listened to it twice in my car before deciding that I was uncomfortable with it. My cousin saw it on my dashboard and asked if he could borrow it. I told him he could have it. With that said, I recognize it as one of the most influential albums in modern music history. It absolutely changed the game as far as what could be put on record and sold without heavy radio play.

I'll also wait until it hits PPV or video, though.

The casting looks good. I see that Ice Cube''s son is playing him. I agree Jerry Oz that that cd changed the game.

What changed the game isn't the album, it is that the mainstream media got wind of it, and the police got scared.

I like the album. It is a historical document of the anger coming out of the Black areas on L.A., and pretty much any urban place, or where Black people have interactions with the police. I keep my copy and play it whenever I get angry enough.

That's the problem i have with rap,these rappers[ice t-ice cube,ect]supposed to be layin it down bout the man and how he's keepin the people down,and a couple years later there're up there on the big screen acting sometimes as those same folks,rapping for most is an audition for an acting career.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    What changed the game isn't the album, it is that the mainstream media got wind of it, and the police got scared.

I like the album. It is a historical document of the anger coming out of the Black areas on L.A., and pretty much any urban place, or where Black people have interactions with the police. I keep my copy and play it whenever I get angry enough.
    This release went double platinum in sales with NO RADIO PLAY which had never happened
    before. It was a hit before the mainstream media ever got a hold of it. It changed the game
    in other ways too. It gave a voice and center stage to what had previously been only fringe
    elements in black communities as far as musical expression went. It said I AM A THUG,deal with that....It opened up the floodgates for a lot of the most violent, controversial and volatile productions recorded bringing us where hip hop is today. That said at least it contained a lot more musicality, even if it was only through sampling, than most of the garbage made today...

Exactly. It also gave people with no choice the confidence to express themselves lyrically. Too many of them were studio gangsters but they found an untapped audience and ran with it. They were heavily responsible for the rise of indie labels, as well. My biggest problem was not so much the language as it was the lack of originality and imagination many of them exhibited. Cube, Dre, and Snoop took it to the mainstream but NWA made it possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Exactly. It also gave people with no choice the confidence to express themselves lyrically. Too many of them were studio gangsters but they found an untapped audience and ran with it. They were heavily responsible for the rise of indie labels, as well. My biggest problem was not so much the language as it was the lack of originality and imagination many of them exhibited. Cube, Dre, and Snoop took it to the mainstream but NWA made it possible.
    This I can agree with.