[REMOVE ADS]

Mary, Cindy & Lynda Did anyone see this trio in action?

I've seen several pictures of Mary, Cindy, & Lynda did anyone see this temporary trio? If so what was the set list and who actually sung lead. In all the photos Mary is in the lead singers spot.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I've seen several pictures of Mary, Cindy, & Lynda did anyone see this temporary trio? If so what was the set list and who actually sung lead. In all the photos Mary is in the lead singers spot.
    When was this? Was Jean sick or had she already left? I thought Jean and Lynda left around the same time. I would imagine Mary would have done most of the leads. Not sure how good they would have been but I am intrigued to hear from anyone who saw them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    When was this? Was Jean sick or had she already left? I thought Jean and Lynda left around the same time. I would imagine Mary would have done most of the leads. Not sure how good they would have been but I am intrigued to hear from anyone who saw them.
    Jean was ill, I think. I have a copy of Stoned Love with Lynda in the lead. Someone wrote about the details here a few months/year ago.

I thought the Mary, Cindy, and Lynda was only a one-time thing at the Copa?

If I'm correct, it was Lynda's debut in Hawaii in may 72. It was supposed too have been jmc's last tour before Cindy went on leave. Also Cindy stepped in again when jean was sick when the group played the copa

And after Jean got better and returned to the act, Mary fell ill, so the New York Copa audience saw a show that featured Cindy, Jean, and Lynda. For the first time, the Supremes had put on a show without any original members of the group. Mary was said to be a bit saddened by how the members of the group had become so easily interchangeable

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    And after Jean got better and returned to the act, Mary fell ill, so the New York Copa audience saw a show that featured Cindy, Jean, and Lynda. For the first time, the Supremes had put on a show without any original members of the group. Mary was said to be a bit saddened by how the members of the group had become so easily interchangeable
    I can understand her frustration but on the other hand no-one except for ardent fans would notice the differing line ups. Mary did her best against all odds to keep the group afloat. I always said they should have left Motown in 1973. I know Berry had copyright on the name but they could surely have renamed themselves as the New Supremes. It continues to frustrate me to this day.

I can understand her frustration but on the other hand no-one except for ardent fans would notice the differing line ups. Mary did her best against all odds to keep the group afloat. I always said they should have left Motown in 1973. I know Berry had copyright on the name but they could surely have renamed themselves as the New Supremes. It continues to frustrate me to this day.
    Interesting posting. I bet Berry would have fought like hell to stop the name "New Supremes ". I wonder how the court system would have handled it? Maybe they should have left. All three, MSS said there wasn't sufficient promotion, it wasn't just Mary who said that.

I can understand her frustration but on the other hand no-one except for ardent fans would notice the differing line ups...
    I think you are right. I saw the Lynda, Mary, Cindy line up at the Copa and overheard someone at the next table say "Which one is Diana?"

Also, even as an ardent fan, I did not notice that Jean was missing at first, probably because I was in shock at seeing Cindy there. After I got over that shock, I noticed that Jean was not there and the new Supreme was singing lead

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Interesting posting. I bet Berry would have fought like hell to stop the name "New Supremes ". I wonder how the court system would have handled it? Maybe they should have left. All three, MSS said there wasn't sufficient promotion, it wasn't just Mary who said that.
    You tube shows proof that they were all over TV promoting their newest records [[Mike Douglas, Sullivan, Soul Train, Bandstand, Kate Smith, Merv, Carson, and on summer series like Smokey Robinson. And lots of Billboard, Cash Box, and Record World full page ads.

I don't think Berry would have allowed them to leave and use any form of the Supremes name. And if he did, they would probably have had to give up royalties of future sales.

Some established groups have changed their names and continued their success. The Moments became Ray, Goodman and Brown.

Depending on when they would have left, two names that I would have liked for the Supremes were HIGH ENERGY and MSS

You tube shows proof that they were all over TV promoting their newest records [[Mike Douglas, Sullivan, Soul Train, Bandstand, Kate Smith, Merv, Carson, and on summer series like Smokey Robinson. And lots of Billboard, Cash Box, and Record World full page ads.
    Most people know that Milven but some 38 years later some still carp on and on and on and on about how the Supremes was never promoted when YouTube clips proves otherwise.

fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Most people know that Milven but some 38 years later some still carp on and on and on and on about how the Supremes was never promoted when YouTube clips proves otherwise.

fondly,

Roberta
    Roberta, with the greatest of respect the reason why we "harp" on about the Supremes not being promoted is because in comparison to Diana, Jackson5, Marvin, Stevie they quite simply were not. I am not saying they received no promotion but not to the same extent they did whilst Diana was there, and that is one of the reasons why the group floundered. I am not saying it was the only reason but it was a valid reason.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    There wasn't much promotion of the Supremes during that time and definitely not like Motown did in the 60s. They were no longer investing heavily in money and man hours to create a new show just for the Supremes as they once did for the 1st Copa appearance. The Supremes needed new , great songs all the time. They needed the best producers and musicians since they neither wrote or played on any of their songs.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    There wasn't much promotion of the Supremes during that time and definitely not like Motown did in the 60s. They were no longer investing heavily in money and man hours to create a new show just for the Supremes as they once did for the 1st Copa appearance. The Supremes needed new , great songs all the time. They needed the best producers and musicians since they neither wrote or played on any of their songs.
    I totally agree with you on this one Marv!

The reason Mary did not want to leave was because of the name The Supremes. She felt it was the key to opening the doors. Once the door was open they would have the opportunity to prove themselves. Without the door being open they had to find a KEY.

I don't think Berry would have allowed them to leave and use any form of the Supremes name. And if he did, they would probably have had to give up royalties of future sales.

Some established groups have changed their names and continued their success. The Moments became Ray, Goodman and Brown.

Depending on when they would have left, two names that I would have liked for the Supremes were HIGH ENERGY and MSS