[REMOVE ADS]

The Crystals on TV's The View

Dolores Dee Dee Kenniebrew and her group The Crystals will be guests on The View on Wednesday, July 15th. Apparently they wanted to have classic groups from the 1950s and 60s who are still working. Other groups during the week will include Little Anthony & the Imperials, Charlie Thomas' Drifters, and the Flamingos.

Man, I sure hope The View performance will include LaLa Brooks in The Crystals' lineup. Without her, they will NOT sound like The Crystals. I've seen some of their post-LaLa YouTube video performances. They were okay, but, without LaLa's powerful and wonderfully-familiar lead vocals, they were just another girl group singing The Crystals' songs. It's gotta be LaLa, or, at least, Barbara Alston -- The Crystals' first lead singer.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-02-2015 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Man, I sure hope The View performance will include LaLa Brooks in The Crystals' lineup. Without her, they will NOT sound like The Crystals. I've seen some of their post-LaLa YouTube video performances. They were okay, but, without LaLa's powerful and wonderfully-familiar lead vocals, they were just another girl group singing The Crystals' songs. It's gotta be LaLa, or, at least, Barbara Alston -- The Crystals' first lead singer.
    Unless I'm mistaken, LaLa works as a solo act so she won't be on THE VIEW. Dee Dee is the only original member in her group.

Barbara sang onstage with LaLa and Dee Dee at the Girl Groups Stamps ceremony a while back, but I don't think she sings regularly.

http://thecrystals.net/

This is the group you will likely see.

La La will not be on the show as she is not in the group. Only Dee Dee is from the original group and has been for over 40 years.

I think the show is only being taped this week as I am not seeing where any of these groups are on this week's lineup. Dee Dee had thought it was a "live" broadcast, but apparently they will tape the show tomorrow for a later broadcast date. If I speak to her or find out more info I will post here.

I just spoke to Dee Dee. It will be a "live" broadcast tomorrow, July 15th @ 11am ET on ABC. It is in NYC and not Los Angeles. She said they will have a different classic group on Wednesdays; not each day of the week. So hope everyone can tune in to The View tomorrow.

Hello All
    It has been a minute since I last posted.
    I watched the View today, I watch it every day when I can.
    We [[ THE ORIGINAL TYMES ) shared the stage with many of the acts that will be on.
    I think it is a good thing that the view is doing.
    Giving exposure to some of the veteran groups a shot.
    On national television, lets the public know that we are still alive and doing well.
    Is there anyone out there that has a contact or info to pass on to me we would like
    To be on one of those shows.
    Right on to THE VIEW.
    CEASAR
    THE
    ORIGINAL
    TYMES

Would love to see the Tymes on the View. The Crystals looked great but Dee Dee should not have sung lead.

Hi Ceasar! I know they are doing this on Wedensdays and today was only the second one. Last week they had the Flamingos, but I did not see that. I don't know how many groups or for how long, but perhaps your rep could contact the show on its website. It would be great to see the Tymes presented like this.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Would love to see the Tymes on the View. The Crystals looked great but Dee Dee should not have sung lead.
    Yes, I agree with you Luke.

In general I have "almost" no hard feelings concerning Dee Dee Kinniebrew but what irks me to no end is that Dee Dee, along with Darlene Love, are making money off of La La Brooks' voice and talent. Yes, The Crystals had a couple of hits with Barbara Alston singing lead, but it was La La with her sweet and powerful voice that really brought The Crystals to national acclaim. The Da Doo Ron Ron introductory song on yesterday's The View is sung by La La Brooks - there is NO DOUBT about that. Now Dee Dee was clever in trade marking or copyrighting "The Crystals" name. She got the group going - I will give her that. But The Crystals are not The Crystals without La La Brooks. Even in Barbara Alston's book "There Is No Other", she said that she was so relieved to have La La Brooks be the lead singer and gave La La the credit for having a sweet and powerful voice. The vocals of Dee Dee on The View was awkward at best and word is already out that there are grumblings behind the scene concerning her vocal performance. The View should have had La La Brooks singing her own songs. La La is alive and kicking, still has her sweet and powerful voice and looks dang good. I know that this was about 60's groups but it would have been better, and right, to consider La La as a "group". La La has to be great. Dee Dee and Darlene sure love to sing her signature songs.
    Last edited by chemelr; 07-16-2015 at 10:31 AM.

I gather there is an interview with Dee Dee that is missing from the above clip

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    There was. It was brief, but she spoke a bit about Phil Spector, the group's history, etc.

Dee Dee is an original Crystals so she is not making money off La La Brooks or anyone else. Her group is the Crystals and one by one the other originals left, including La La, who left in 1966. If Dee Dee did not copyright her group name, it would have ended up with fake groups performing as the Crystals, just like the Shangri-Las and the Marvelettes. The last group of original members in the lineup was in the early 70s--Dee Dee, Barbara Alston, Mary Thomas. La La did periodically work on some rerecordings of Crystals' hits with Dee Dee, but didn't return to work in the group as she had kids and for many years was living overseas.

But I am glad La La is working as former lead singer of the Crystals. Just like Shirley Alston Reeves has done for many, many years as former lead singer of the Shirelles. Beverly has the group the Shirelles.

Yes Dee Dee has every right to do that but with Lala living in NYC it would have been nice to also have her on. All the old clips the View showed were with Lala singing lead. Give credit where credit is due.

Quote Originally Posted by rrussi View Post
    Dee Dee is an original Crystals so she is not making money off La La Brooks or anyone else. Her group is the Crystals and one by one the other originals left, including La La, who left in 1966. If Dee Dee did not copyright her group name, it would have ended up with fake groups performing as the Crystals, just like the Shangri-Las and the Marvelettes. The last group of original members in the lineup was in the early 70s--Dee Dee, Barbara Alston, Mary Thomas. La La did periodically work on some rerecordings of Crystals' hits with Dee Dee, but didn't return to work in the group as she had kids and for many years was living overseas.
    I knew this was coming so it is not a surprise to me. There are always two sides to a story. I know that Dee Dee is your personal friend just as La La is my personal and best friend. Dee Dee SURE has made money off of La La's voice and talent. When Dee Dee found out that La La was returning home to the U.S. Dee Dee made it a point to alert agents, managers and such that La La WAS NOT part of The Crystals and that she was not allowed to use the Crystal name. La La had asked Dee Dee if she could get back together as a group and Dee Dee declined. Couple that with Darlene Love's propensity to be a psychological liar and that she [[Darlene) sang the DDRR - La La had an initial hard time in getting back into the business. Even with the original Crystal members minus La La, Dee Dee did not have a leading singing voice and she still doesn't. That is not a dig or disrespect, it is just fact. Dee Dee and her girls could have sung There's No Other [[Like My Baby) or Uptown but she choose the songs that La La sang that really brought The Crystals out front and center. Herman Lubinsky, father of TJ Lubinsky, called and asked La La to be on PBS's Pop, Rock and Do Wop. He didn't ask for Dee Dee. I mention this because of Dee Dee and her copy writing of the Crystal name - La La had to be introduced as "the former lead singer of The Crystals". That audience at the Benedum Center, 2011, showed La La the ultimate respect by cheering loudest for her and standing for her singing of HER two hits, the DDRR and THKM. She was the star of that show. Now concerning The View yesterday. Young people who attended that show or saw it on TV will get the mistaken notion that the lady who sang the introductory DDRR [[La La) is the same lady who sang it later in the show [[Dee Dee). If I didn't personally know the difference, I would have had the thought that that lady really lost her voice and shouldn't be performing any longer. Thusly, La La would lose money as people would think that she had lost her voice and wouldn't attend any of her gigs. La La ain't changed a bit. Her voice is better than ever, her version of her own songs are energetic and gets people up and dancing, she is in shape and looks as good as ever. Don't misunderstand me - Dee Dee is shapely, good looking and even though I haven't met her personally, I am just going to assume that she is a good person. She probably has accomplished much in her life. Her voice and La La's voice are different. I know that you will always defend Dee Dee and that's not a bad thing. Just know that likewise, I will always defend La La Brooks.

Hello Again to all my SD family,
    This has really turned into a big topic.
    We

Greetings Again,
    This has really turned into a big topic.
    We [[ THE ORIGINAL TYMES ) have shared the stage with both these young ladies.
    They are both a pleasure to be around. It is a shame when things like this come back to haunt you.
    I would have like to have seen the ladies put the difference aside and join forces again.
    It's not to late, and it would be good for the fans.
    It really bothers me to see good friends that started out in the business together not getting along. This is a crazy business for those of you that don't know. Well maybe one day.
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Tymes

Sorry i made a boo boo
    ceasar

I don't know that they don't get along. Dee Dee has no problem with La La. And did La La ask Dee Dee to join her last year when she had that great date on the David Letterman Show?
    Also, is La La more of a Crystal than Dee Dee??? Is Diana more a Supreme than Mary? What you are talking about I am not sure, but La La left the group. Should Dee Dee stop working because one girl with a great voice left? Should Mary have quit the Supremes because Diana left? I don't follow what you're talking about. A group is a group!
    The songs in question were credited to the Crystals; not La La Brooks, although I do suspect Phil told her he was gonna take her from the group and make her a solo artist. I love La La Brooks---fantastic voice and talent! And, yes, I love my dear Dee Dee and all of the Crystals.

Also, Dee Dee has no problem with La La working as "former lead singer of the Crystals", why should she, it is the truth! She did not try to stop La La from working under that moniker only under the name "The Crystals", which may have not been La La's doing anyway.
    La La Brooks is one of the greatest singers of the girl group era, or any era as far as I have my opinion. Few singers can measure up to her incredible talent and I am so glad she is working. I hope to see her in South Florida in February 2016.

Also, Dee Dee has no problem with La La working as "former lead singer of the Crystals", why should she, it is the truth! She did not try to stop La La from working under that moniker only under the name "The Crystals", which may have not been La La's doing anyway.
    La La Brooks is one of the greatest singers of the girl group era, or any era as far as I have my opinion. Few singers can measure up to her incredible talent and I am so glad she is working. I hope to see her in South Florida in February 2016.
    Two great response [[this one and the previous post) It kills me how people come on these boards to represent a person and not having all the facts. The View booked the Crystals and not La la Brooks which btw is owned by Dee Dee Kennibrew [[sp). That's what happen when you leave a group you also leave the name. At least La la can perform as the Former lead singer of the Crystals. Good luck to both ladies and group.

Great Rod-Rick, I agree!
    I think the show wanted groups from the 50s and 60s that were still working.

Again I knew the job was dangerous when I took it. You guys are really missing the mark here, so I will give it another shot. Since Dee Dee is an original Crystal and still wants to perform under that name - then she needs to leave out the video of the DDRR on Shivaree and not use that on The View. She could have used later videos of herself with her newer buddies and then morphed to the present. Dee Dee CHOOSE to use that segment with La La's voice. She knew if La La wasn't singing the DDRR, no one would have made the connection. Just like Darlene Love just had to use the DDRR for the intro to Twenty Feet From Stardom, a song that Darlene had NO connection to. Regardless of what Dee Dee wants people to believe - the DDRR was recorded by La La at Gold Star studios with Cher, Fanita James and Gracia Nitzsche, that's a confirmed fact. Dee Dee got to do her background singing when The Crystals went on the road.

The other fallacy of what you guys are trying to infer - no one, including myself, ever said that La La and Dee Dee were fighting each other. The fact is that Dee Dee used La La's singing voice on the DDRR for her, Dee Dee's benefit. Did Dee Dee give any credit to La La on The View? No. If Dee Dee and her gal pals received any monies for appearing on The View, did Dee Dee offer any amount to La La for using her voice? I already know that if Dee Dee received any monies, she ain't a-sharing with anyone. I know for fact since I have attended a performance by La La - that she, La La, always gives credit to the person who originally sang the song she is performing. When she performs Be My Baby, she gives credit to Ronnie.

And to you rod_rick, I do possess the facts. I'm connected and you're not.

I think this is going way out of hand...I don't know that Dee Dee had anything to do with the video being shown of Shiveree on the View. But she is there as a Crystal, which she is. Again, Dee Dee is not using La La's voice, but if she is using the original recordings, they were hit records by the Crystals, which she has always and will always be. She has kept that group going even when times were tough and so...I'm not gonna argue--they were and are the Crystals. I love Dee Dee, but I love all the Crystals! And also again, I love La La Brooks!!!! A fabulous voice and also from my contact with her a very nice, sweet person just like Dee Dee.

And by the way, Dee Dee has never, ever denied to my knowledge La La's contribution to the group or her great vocal talents. Most of the girls wanted to be group singers doing harmony and La La was definitely, and according to Dee Dee too, a real great singer! She wasn't afraid to go out and sing lead and as we all know was and still is a powerhouse vocalist.

I'm just confused by what you are saying...if Mary Wilson does a show on TV and they show a 1960s clip of the Supremes, is she using Diana Ross for her benefit?

Yeah right you are connected which Crystal are you? Dee Dee can use any Crystal clip she choose she owns the right to the name La la does not, and that's even if she selected the clip to show on the View [[which I doubt). And does Ms. Brooks have a problem with not being invited to sing as the Crystals or are you on another rant. First it was Darlene now its Dee dee. No one is denying La la's talent but face it she is no longer a Crystal SHE LEFT THE GROUP, GET OVER IT

I'm just confused by what you are saying...if Mary Wilson does a show on TV and they show a 1960s clip of the Supremes, is she using Diana Ross for her benefit?
    Yes. Mary is in the same category as Dee Dee. Mary Wilson, as much as I love her, didn't make any fortune on her own. Her fame comes from Diana. Just because you don't like a certain situation isn't going to change the facts.
    Last edited by chemelr; 07-17-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Well it wasn't THE CRYSTAL and it wasn't THE SUPREME, they were groups. So should there be no vocal groups, only lead singers? I don't agree, but I'm not gonna argue about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Yeah right you are connected which Crystal are you? Dee Dee can use any Crystal clip she choose she owns the right to the name La la does not, and that's even if she selected the clip to show on the View [[which I doubt). And does Ms. Brooks have a problem with not being invited to sing as the Crystals or are you on another rant. First it was Darlene now its Dee dee. No one is denying La la's talent but face it she is no longer a Crystal SHE LEFT THE GROUP, GET OVER IT
    Way to show your ignorance hero. Dee Dee has NO RIGHTS to anything produced by Phil Spector. Alot of that music was sold to Sony Corporation to pay for Phil's legal expenses. Phil owns some, Sony owns most of it. In a legal sense, Dee Dee should have paid Phil and/or Sony for use of those two songs on television. That situation is way out of control. La La Brooks had permission to sing those two songs on David Letterman because Paul Schaeffer got permission from his buddy Phil/Sony. You are way out of your league on this subject. It is best you just keep your ignorance away from this subject.

And BTW I can say whatever I choose and there is nothing you can do about it.
    Last edited by chemelr; 07-17-2015 at 10:33 PM.

Well it wasn't THE CRYSTAL and it wasn't THE SUPREME, they were groups. So should there be no vocal groups, only lead singers? I don't agree, but I'm not gonna argue about it.
    Again there is this misconception that La La wants back in with The Crystals. That is the furthest thing from her mind. I will repeat this again. There were "grumblings" about "The Crystals" performance on The View. That's as much as I am allowed to elaborate on that. But boy I sure wish I was allowed to. That's my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by chemelr View Post
    Way to show your ignorance hero. Dee Dee has NO RIGHTS to anything produced by Phil Spector. Alot of that music was sold to Sony Corporation to pay for Phil's legal expenses. Phil owns some, Sony owns most of it. In a legal sense, Dee Dee should have paid Phil and/or Sony for use of those two songs on television. That situation is way out of control. La La Brooks had permission to sing those two songs on David Letterman because Paul Schaeffer got permission from his buddy Phil/Sony. You are way out of your league on this subject. It is best you just keep your ignorance away from this subject.

And BTW I can say whatever I choose and there is nothing you can do about it.
    Oh, and also as far as that Shivaree clip - that was once property of ABC. It is unknown who owns it now. But I seriously doubt "The Crystals" own it.

The Crystals do not own rights to the video clip or the original recordings. However, ABC network, which airs "The View" got all clearance to use those items. They had told Dee Dee they were gonna use the clip from Shivaree, she didn't actually choose it.
    This is way too out of control. I love the Crystals, both Dee Dee and La La. And I never said or think La La wants back in the group either. I think from a financial point, she does better on her own. I've known of a booking down in south Florida for about two months and the date is in February 2016, so the lady has work coming in to her. And her appearance on Late Night with David Letterman was FABULOUS!!! Thank goodness Paul Shaffer loves that music so much and assembled a wonderful orchestra to back her.

Randy

Ive seen that interview now. It was great

Just want to make a correction on a previous post. Sony purchased a license fee from Phil Spector to re-issue songs by The Crystals. Phil Spector still owns all of his produced music. Another fact that I found out is that Dee Dee Kinniebrew does NOT have exclusive rights to the "Crystals" name. Most, but not all.

And La La should have at least been mentioned by name not as "that girl." Mary Wilson goes out of her way to mention all the original Supremes by name including Barbara and Betty.

Absolutely too much anger and defensiveness going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by chemelr View Post
    Yes. Mary is in the same category as Dee Dee. Mary Wilson, as much as I love her, didn't make any fortune on her own. Her fame comes from Diana. Just because you don't like a certain situation isn't going to change the facts.
    I don't agree with that at all. Anywayyyyy...........Does anyone know much about Lala's time living in Austria? I only heard that she had her own radio program there. How long did she live in Austria?