[REMOVE ADS]

New Diana Ross Book

Another new book about Diana. This one concentrates on her work and her career and accomplishments. Al Abrams and Janie Bradford wrote the forward.

Diana Ross Reflections

*Fans are raving about it! Just when you thought you knew everything about Motown star Diana Ross, out comes a new book, “Diana Ross Reflections” [[210 pages; New Haven Publishing Ltd) with new details and rare photos of the music legend.

Author Ian Phillips examines all of Ms. Ross’ recording work from The Primettes [[before the name change to The Supremes) up through to the present day, as well as highlighting her many career highlights and accomplishments, including her work in film, television and on stage. To set the tone Phillips – a long-time Diana Ross fan – called upon Al Abrams [[former Motown promotion director) and Janie Bradford [[former Motown songwriter) who both worked closely with Ross to write the foreword.

With a career now spanning over five decades, Diana Ross remains one of the most successful recording and performing artists of all time. It’s hard to imagine that her group was referred to as the “no-hit-Supremes” during the early Motown days before their breakout hit “Where Did Our Love Go.” As lead singer of The Supremes, the group amassed a total of twelve number one hit singles between 1964 and 1969. Ross’ career continued to flourish after going solo with such hits as “Touch Me In The Morning,” “Love Hangover,” “Upside Down,” “I’m Coming Out” and so many, many more.

This is an essential read for all Diana Ross fans. The book spotlights not only her ground-breaking artistic success but also her revolutionary cultural impact – overcoming so many obstacles as a black woman and breaking down so many racial barriers.

A fan Lou Rattacasa writes, “The author’s insights into her career are interesting food for thought and quite astute. He examines each album through every phase of her career from the earliest days with the Supremes through her last album of new material, I Love You. And the pictures! Most of them I have never seen before. That is very exciting for me.”

http://www.eurweb.com/2015/06/new-bo...s-reflections/

I feel like this has been posted [[and I've asked this) before:

Is this an entirely NEW book, or just a re-working of Ian's previous book, with new title and cover art? Seems to me he released something similar within the last year.

From what I've read about this, it's one fans love letter to Miss Diana; nothing new except perhaps an additional 50 ways to gush about how fabulous the Queen of Motown is/was/were/

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

Is this an entirely NEW book, or just a re-working of Ian's previous book, with new title and cover art? Seems to me he released something similar within the last year.

From what I've read about this, it's one fans love letter to Miss Diana; nothing new except perhaps an additional 50 ways to gush about how fabulous the Queen of Motown is/was/were/
    Good point. It sounds to me like a reworking of his previous work. Until we get clarification I would approach with caution.

Well I think I want it, but I'm not sure. umm

I'm always happy to gush about how fabulous the Queen of Motown is/was! I don't have the other book by Ian Phillips so I'll be happy to buy this one. Mr. Phillips is on Facebook; he can probably be asked directly about how much of the book is new.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

Yes, this is an updated version of Ian's previous book released in 2010 I believe. The original was entitled Diana - Queen Of Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Yes, this is an updated version of Ian's previous book released in 2010 I believe. The original was entitled Diana - Queen Of Motown.
    In that case I don't think I will bother.

Ian had a hard time with his previous publisher taking a Lion's share of the prophets from the original version. In order to re-publish it his way he had to put the other one out of print, in the process he decided he wanted to re-edit and revise his original work, adding more pictures. I haven't yet read either book, but look forward to it. I just thought I'd add this here so fans don't think he's trying to pull one over on you. I'm FB friends with him, and he's updated a lot about what he's been through with the book etc.

It is definitely a reworking of the previous book. However, he did do a lot more research on the origins of a release and there is additional text added to most of the reviews of her vast catalog.
    If you owned the first book, this book is not necessarily that much different except that the prose makes for a better read. It is not inexpensive. I forget how much the "Diana: Queen of Motown" was, but, this one costs more yet is much better executed. It all depends what type of fan you are. If you are a serious collector, then this is a necessity. I certainly don't regret buying it.....it just seems pricey especially if you own the first book.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    It is definitely a reworking of the previous book. However, he did do a lot more research on the origins of a release and there is additional text added to most of the reviews of her vast catalog.
    If you owned the first book, this book is not necessarily that much different except that the prose makes for a better read. It is not inexpensive. I forget how much the "Diana: Queen of Motown" was, but, this one costs more yet is much better executed. It all depends what type of fan you are. If you are a serious collector, then this is a necessity. I certainly don't regret buying it.....it just seems pricey especially if you own the first book.
    Thanks for that Bokilius. I shall perhaps purchase it if I can get it at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by DianaLove View Post
    Ian had a hard time with his previous publisher taking a Lion's share of the prophets from the original version. In order to re-publish it his way he had to put the other one out of print, in the process he decided he wanted to re-edit and revise his original work, adding more pictures. I haven't yet read either book, but look forward to it. I just thought I'd add this here so fans don't think he's trying to pull one over on you. I'm FB friends with him, and he's updated a lot about what he's been through with the book etc.
    Wow. That's interesting, I had no idea that that occurred. No wonder Ian redid it.

As the late[mr spock]would've said...fasinating!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Thanks for that Bokilius. I shall perhaps purchase it if I can get it at a reasonable price.
    Hi Bluebrock,
    If you don't own "Diana: Queen of Motown" and want a book that salutes her vast discography, you cannot go wrong with this one. I think Amazon has the best price. At least they did when I bought my copy.

I bought the book in it's original format and found it complete and utter dullsville. Far to much gush and not nearly enough genuine critique. Seemingly the only song Mr Phillips does not like is "Old Funky Rolls". I really enjoy reading balanced reviews of Diana's recorded work. Sadly for me this book fails on all counts in providing anything near to that.
    On the plus side it did contain some nice photos of Diana, so would perhaps make an ideal coffee table companion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I bought the book in it's original format and found it complete and utter dullsville. Far to much gush and not nearly enough genuine critique. Seemingly the only song Mr Phillips does not like is "Old Funky Rolls". I really enjoy reading balanced reviews of Diana's recorded work. Sadly for me this book fails on all counts in providing anything near to that.
    On the plus side it did contain some nice photos of Diana, so would perhaps make an ideal coffee table companion.
    Unfortunately, have to agree, everything said here is spot on.

However, it is actually very good as a reference for Diana's discography.

I purchased Ian's first Diana Ross bio and being a friend of his on Facebook know how passionate he is about her and her music. As a hopeful writer myself of a manuscript "In Search of Mae West", I know just how difficult it is to get publisher interest in this current digital age. Self publication is the only way to go for a first time author and "print on demand" is the most economical way, so as not to have a cellar full of unsold books.

I support authors of Motown books, and would also like to draw attention to Frances Fran Heard ) Maclin's book, " I Remember Motown: When We were Family," now in its second printing. Frances was the former Motown Records Tape Librarian, and has some fascinating insights to share. These folks deserve our support!
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 07-04-2015 at 12:40 PM.

If by support you mean dolling out xxxx amounts of money to purchase an almost identical book to one which you already own, i think i will pass.
    There have been some excellent books on Motown that have been released, particularly in the last two years. Alas, this book for me was not one of them
    For fans who did not buy the first book it might make a nice compendium to own, if only for the detailed discography.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Hi Bluebrock,
    If you don't own "Diana: Queen of Motown" and want a book that salutes her vast discography, you cannot go wrong with this one. I think Amazon has the best price. At least they did when I bought my copy.
    Thank you for that again Bokiluis. I shall take a look at Amazon.

Publisher’s Note: Some of these comments are much the same as what’s been written in other reviews. The fact is Ian’s first book was released in 2010. He had some issues with his previous publisher and when they parted ways the book was taken out of print with only 200 copies sold. How does this book differ from the first? Well it’s about Diana Ross’ career from a fans’ perspective designed to entertain other fans. He didn't want to go down the ‘Diva’ path but reworked his first book - adding to it extensively with TEXT, not photos as some seem to think. It has grown twice the size in text to 133,000 words. The book is not a rehash gimmick, but rather an addendum to a work that never got the full exposure that it deserves. As a publisher it is in our best interest to set the record straight. So to all the true Diana Ross fans, we hope that you will look into it for yourselves – a sincere endeavor to chronicle the career of a world-class legendary icon. I’m a U.K. publisher and the book is available for review at the British Library in London [[more libraries to follow).
    Thanks for your support!

Teddie Dahlin
    New Haven Publishing
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Was the first book not from a fans perspective designed to entertain other fans? How can the perspective of this revised edition be so much different from the original book if all that has been added is a certain amount of additional text while still including all that had originally been written?.
    I really don't think one has to go down the diva path to make a book both an informative and entertaining read. I myself just found the original book contained little to no genuine critique. It does not really sound as if that point has changed. That is the reason i and others sadly found it rather dull.
    I do think it good having any new/old book on Diana out there, and if i can find a cheap copy somewhere i just might shell out. At the mo though i am not convinced.

It shows up for $37 on Amazon. That's a lot.

All of these books are a hard sell these days. They aren't so popular anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It shows up for $37 on Amazon. That's a lot.

All of these books are a hard sell these days. They aren't so popular anymore.
    I believe last week this book was the number 1 best seller for a biography on Amazon. I am Facebook friends with Ian and it looks like it has already sold several copies and is getting really great reviews.

These kinds of books that appeal to our kind of crowd deserve the benefit of the doubt and our support. If we are not buying them, we need to know the young crowd isn't and it will be another indication to some people that there isn't much of a market for the.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    These kinds of books that appeal to our kind of crowd deserve the benefit of the doubt and our support. If we are not buying them, we need to know the young crowd isn't and it will be another indication to some people that there isn't much of a market for the.
    All good and well if members of our crowd have the funds to purchase such an item without second thought. Young or old.
    Because i already have the original version, and unless i can find a very cheap copy i will not be buying. I would be pleased if the books does do really well as i am of course a big Diana fan. Having said that i do think it important that people know what they getting as myself and many others were rather dissapointed first time around.
    Hope this reads as more Aunt Em than Evillene.

I'm surprised about this book.

It is not a "fan" book, nor is it a "garbage" book, picking up hearsay from third party sources.

It is a book that goes through the discography of Diana Ross and Diana Ross and the Supremes and the Supremes.

I could have some issues with some of the writing but it is an interesting read about the albums.

I didn't care for the book much. He's a big Ross fan who pontificates about her discography and that has some interest, but he's not like some musical genius or expert. He's just a fan talking about his gal. If that is your desire, buy the book. i found very little insight or new information.

I love the book, he did a tremendous job..A MUST for Ross fans..

Well it's not a total fan book and it doesn't dwell on gossip

The writing isn't great but the run through the albums is enjoyable to read

No shots at Mary either; no one really enjoys much of that except a couple of coneheads on here
    Last edited by jobeterob; 12-16-2015 at 03:11 PM.