[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U.S. Supreme Court Ruling

It's now true what Jean, Mary and Cindy sang in 1970: "Everybody's Got The Right To Love."

I think a reissue of this is in order.

Praise Jesus the Supreme court did right because every American deserves the right to marry and everyone deserve health insurance.

Roberta

well, I got health insurance that's costing me $1,008. a month with a $5,000.deductible . I guess because I've had cancer & I work. Maybe it will be cheaper if I quit working.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    well, I got health insurance that's costing me $1,008. a month with a $5,000.deductible . I guess because I've had cancer & I work. Maybe it will be cheaper if I quit working.
    there are no preexisting condition beacuase of the Affordable Care act motony. Id be shopping around for a better plan if I was you.

Roberta

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/26/politi...rriage-ruling/

There is this ruling too!

The USA is one small step at a time being dragged into the enlightened world.

Great news on both Marriage equality and Obamacare.

I was watching Fox news for laughs this morning and it was sorry how they kept harping on "religious rights", and had to work in the word "liberal" at least once.

So, "religious rights" is what they are running with. Let the games and whining begin!
    Last edited by soulster; 06-26-2015 at 04:07 PM.

I'm happy about both court decisions and even happier about the comments [[so far!) by my Soulful Detroit fellow posters! AND the fact that President Obama's legacy is now forming.

I hope you can find something better for you if you need it; I know that I too have a high dedictible but with several eye operations in the last 8 months my out-of-pocket expense, though high, is still a fraction of what I would have paid with no insurance. Perhaps some of our fellow posters can offer information about lowering your costs - I hope so! And by all means stay well!

HAHAHA! It's amazing the Supreme Court told the states, especially the ones where they were just steadfastly denying marriage licenses, to STICK IT!

Great day to be living in this country for once! But we STILL got a LONG way to go. A LONG WAY. Not just for LGBT rights but also for rights of all of us that believe in love and equality and the end of bigotry and discrimination.

supremester Guest
    Your agent is taking you for a ride, or, your income is 500k plus. 1008 for a person with a high income IS affordable - which is the idea. one of my high school buds makes 17k a year and gets his totally free.

At last! oooooooooooooo at last!!! Marv2: will you marry me?

supremester Guest

For grins, i've been watching Fox news today [[I know, why would I torture myself?), and amazed at the bitterness and sarcasm level regarding the equal marriage ruling. Megyn Kelly started off with calling Obama and Clinton liars [[gotta get those digs in there). At the end of the show just a couple of minutes ago, she had some republican religious gay guy on, and he gave a great op-ed. Her sarcasm and hostility was priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    At last! oooooooooooooo at last!!! Marv2: will you marry me?
    The thread's been going so well. Don't start that shit!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    For grins, i've been watching Fox news today [[I know, why would I torture myself?), and amazed at the bitterness and sarcasm level regarding the equal marriage ruling. Megyn Kelly started off with calling Obama and Clinton liars [[gotta get those digs in there). At the end of the show just a couple of minutes ago, she had some republican religious gay guy on, and he gave a great op-ed. Her sarcasm and hostility was priceless!
    I cant watch that network its real toxic and hateful.

This is a glorious day for America. And, indeed, a defining moment in the Obama presidency. Supremester, that Facebook link is priceless!!!!
    Last edited by sansradio; 06-27-2015 at 01:01 AM.

Congratulations to the good 'ole USA Supreme Court for getting these things right!
    You "Should Be Proud"...
    Meanwhile, in England's green and pleasant land, we still have the NHS [[just!), clause 28 was struck off the statute book a decade ago, the London Pride March is to-day - and suddenly everyone's glad to be gay! "Won't It Be So Wonderful"? You bet it will!
    Alas, the Government here also thinks it's a good idea to repeal the Human Rights Act ....as they say "go figure!"

Everyone deserve to marry the person they love. God bless and watch over President Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    Congratulations to the good 'ole USA Supreme Court for getting these things right!
    You "Should Be Proud"...
    Meanwhile, in England's green and pleasant land, we still have the NHS [[just!), clause 28 was struck off the statute book a decade ago, the London Pride March is to-day - and suddenly everyone's glad to be gay! "Won't It Be So Wonderful"? You bet it will!
    Alas, the Government here also thinks it's a good idea to repeal the Human Rights Act ....as they say "go figure!"

Gay marriage still not legal in Northern Ireland.

Well hopefully northern íreland will be next. Love always wins and now my cousin in Texas can Marry his partner.

At long last -- equality for EVERYONE -- not just a select few.

I think we're going to find out how large the numbers are on both sides of the issue.

Congrats to all of you from the country where same sex marriage was legalized in 2001!
    I finally take the plunge next thursday after being with my partner for 33 years....

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Gay marriage still not legal in Northern Ireland.
    No indeed it is not 144man - to their continuing shame. But Northern Ireland, along with Scotland, and Wales, all voted for greater autonomy, and more power to determine their own laws. They are all proud of the good things they do ahead of or differently from England, but in this case I'm sad to say Northern Ireland looks out of step with the rest of the western world. I hope they find it in their hearts to do the right thing soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Congrats to all of you from the country where same sex marriage was legalized in 2001!
    I finally take the plunge next thursday after being with my partner for 33 years....

Congratulations jack020! 33 years is a long time. Well done to both of you in beating the odds and hanging on in there. Happiness is Guaranteed I'm sure!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    It's now true what Jean, Mary and Cindy sang in 1970: "Everybody's Got The Right To Love."

I think a reissue of this is in order.
    Great idea! Maybe a club re-mix as well - from your post to remixer's ears!

I think we're going to find out how large the numbers are on both sides of the issue.
    Of course. But "omow" marriage-only is really just another way of the far right [[and whatever they may be called in the rest of the world) practicing their politics-of-exclusion.

Heartfelt congratulations to you and your lifetime partner of 33 years, Jack! That's an amazing accomplishment, especially in this day and age. I wish you both all the love and happiness in the world. As Martha and the girls once sang, "Let This Day Be" [[a day that we'll remember all our lives").

Oh many blessings and much love and happiness to you and your soon to be spouse Jack dear.

yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Everyone deserve to marry the person they love. God bless and watch over President Obama.
    What an incredible image the rainbow-drenched White House was! Can you imagine Bush or any Republican President letting this happen following such a ruling?

On a more somber note, Obama's eulogy at the Reverend Pinckney's funeral in South Carolina was unforgettable. I watched it twice, it was that good. Please give it a listen if you haven't yet done so.

I love that Martha Reeves & The Vandellas Natural Resources rainbow cover and the song titles you mentioned, Sharpmoves! I gotta add "Put A Little Love In Your Heart" and especially "People Got To Be Free" as bonus songs that fit the occasion! I like the bonus lyrics Martha speaks on the alternate version of "People Got To Be Free" pleading that EVERYONE needs to be equal! And Kenneth, I agree, I would have never thought during the Bush years that the next president we'd have would be African-American and that we'd ever see the legalization of gay marriage and the White House bathed in a rainbow of colors! I'm glad we are finally moving forward!

Until the more recent years, full marriage equality was not something I thought I would see in my lifetime. And the White House bathed in Pride colors? Well that never even entered my mind. I must admit the first image I saw of the White House Pride lights really choked me up. On some level that seemed more of a victory to me, than marriage equality becoming the law of the land. I am very grateful for both.

A few years ago, there was a great picture of the Supreme Court with each of the Supremes heads superimposed over the original justices.

Every time I see "Supreme Court", I'll always envision this picture.

Thanks everybody for your good wishes!

"I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. You're not scared. You're an asshole."--Morgan Freeman

I always liked Morgan Freeman....now I know why! LOL

I couldn't believe the actually put the rainbow flag colors on the White House. Maybe things are finally changing down south too! I mean south of Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    "I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. You're not scared. You're an asshole."--Morgan Freeman

I always liked Morgan Freeman....now I know why! LOL
    No, it is about fear. The fear that somehow if your children are exposed to it that they will think it's OK to turn gay. It's the fear that men will be emasculated. It is the fear that somehow God will curse us if we allow gays and lesbians to marry. Sure, these fears are irrational and based on ignorance, but, make no mistake about it: it is a phobia, hence "homophobia".

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I couldn't believe the actually put the rainbow flag colors on the White House. Maybe things are finally changing down south too! I mean south of Canada.
    But there is a lot of blowback from the social conservatives. Some want to add a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages. One presidential candidate is talking about putting a naietivity scene on the white house lawn at Christmas if he becomes president. States are defying the court order.

Some people are not accepting this. I'm just waiting for the violence to begin.
    Last edited by soulster; 06-29-2015 at 01:44 PM.

It's all about education.

I hope you are wrong about violence. It's been a few days and not much has happened.

I think some of these old farts on the conservative fringe need to consider moving to the new country they can start up in part of Syria and Iraq with a few of the Iranians Mullahs and they can all go there and practice all the good things they believe in.

My guess is that this is all talk and no action [[at least in a general sense). There may be sporadic "lone wolf" type things, but remember these are the same chickenhawks who love to send other people's children to war and then buckle when they actually have to do something. At this point it looks like grandstanding and posturing for mouth-breather votes. I read that the Texas AG has said that clerks need not issue licenses to gay couples if it contravenes their religious beliefs, but the courts have long upheld that civil servants do not have a right to impose their own beliefs in the execution of their duties. Just grand standing, posturing and empty hot air.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    A few years ago, there was a great picture of the Supreme Court with each of the Supremes heads superimposed over the original justices.

Every time I see "Supreme Court", I'll always envision this picture.
    Wow...haven't seen that, marybrewster! But here's one for ya:

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Wow...haven't seen that, marybrewster! But here's one for ya:
    I made a slight tweak.
    Name:  supremes.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  9.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I made a slight tweak.
    Name:  supremes.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  9.1 KB
    That's cute, but not quite the one I was thinking of. I think bradsupremes once shared it; maybe he'll do so again. I remember they had sparkling earrings, LOL.

No, it is about fear. The fear that somehow if your children are exposed to it that they will think it's OK to turn gay. It's the fear that men will be emasculated. It is the fear that somehow God will curse us if we allow gays and lesbians to marry. Sure, these fears are irrational and based on ignorance, but, make no mistake about it: it is a phobia, hence "homophobia".

But there is a lot of blowback from the social conservatives. Some want to add a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages. One presidential candidate is talking about putting a naietivity scene on the white house lawn at Christmas if he becomes president. States are defying the court order.

A constitutionnal amendment wont ever get the 2/3rd majority it need to pass so the far right needs to set down and accept that this is the law of the land.

Excellent, thanxal! Couple more for s#!ts and giggles:

Last edited by sansradio; 06-29-2015 at 05:44 PM.

Last edited by sansradio; 06-29-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Excellent, thanxal! Couple more for s#!ts and giggles:

I love this sansradio. lol.

Thank you.

fondly

Roberta

LOL!!! Anytime, my dear Roberta75!

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    My guess is that this is all talk and no action [[at least in a general sense). There may be sporadic "lone wolf" type things, but remember these are the same chickenhawks who love to send other people's children to war and then buckle when they actually have to do something. At this point it looks like grandstanding and posturing for mouth-breather votes. I read that the Texas AG has said that clerks need not issue licenses to gay couples if it contravenes their religious beliefs, but the courts have long upheld that civil servants do not have a right to impose their own beliefs in the execution of their duties. Just grand standing, posturing and empty hot air.
    These are also the same guys that give and get blowjobs in the can at the airport on their way home.