[REMOVE ADS]

Evening With Diana Ross

Just acquired a copy of the 1976 CD "An Evening With Diana Ross" and am very impressed with the sound quality and the packaging which is a minature replica of the original gatefold album cover in very good quality card. Also love the CD which is a copy of the vinyl record. Great value from Amazon at £8.71.

I recall seeing this concert when Diana toured Europe in 1976. The event was in Manchester, UK around her birthday [[the audience sang "Happy Birthday" to her).

The start of the show is what sticks in my mind the most. The blacked out stage was filled with butterflies for the "Overture" when one came to rest of Diana's shoulder. spotlight on her face during "Here I Am" afterwhich the stage lit up and a mime dancer extended the sleeve on her dress on which images of the singer were projected while she sang "I Wouldn't Change A Thing".

One of the best ever openings of her concerts IMO.

What is your favourite concert openings?

I thought her best opening was for TOUR '79, when she walked through the movie screen. I went to one of those shows and remember the arena exploding when she did that.

I also liked the dress-turning-into-a-moviescreen opening for AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS, which I saw in 1977.

When I saw her in the round in 1982, 1983, and 1984, those were nice openings as well. She had to enter through the audience and it was always nice to see/hear the response when she finally became visible and started making her way to the stage.

The legendary screen-to-real-life entrance from her 1979 tour remains, for me, the ultimate.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    The legendary screen-to-real-life entrance from her 1979 tour remains, for me, the ultimate.
    Agree with you sansradio. It was awesome. I never tire of watching it.

Masterblaster I have had this cd since it was first issued and have not opened it. Because I have the original cd that was released by Motown back in the 90s. Is the sound quality much better than the first released copy?

"An Evening with..." was stunning!
    "Tour '79" was hot and exciting!
    "Return to Love" was a dream come true! [[Please let's not take it any further)
    "Symphonica en Rosso" was a grand affair!
    and
    "More Today Than Yesterday" was a great use of video production beginning to end! I loved the sentiment.

Obviously, I confess to being a huge fan of production.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Masterblaster I have had this cd since it was first issued and have not opened it. Because I have the original cd that was released by Motown back in the 90s. Is the sound quality much better than the first released copy?
    The sound on the recent release is superior to the previous released version. I have not yet bought the Ross 78 cd quite simply because I still hold out hope for an expanded version, but I can certainly vouch for the sound quality on aewdr.

I was lucky enough to see "An Evening" at the Palace Theatre on Broadway with the mimes/butterfly/goddess dress-"Mahogany" film screen "I Wouldn' Change A Thing" and loved it; Ms. Ross was just so beautiful. This was repeated at a 1-nighter in the summer of 1977 [[I think) at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium in NY.

I also saw the infinity staircase "ANMHE" at Radio City, which was amazing. That face, stories high in art deco Radio City - wow, wow, wow.

AND, in MSG. "Return To Love" was WONDERFUL.
    And I always love the walk through the audience; a "surprise" every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    The sound on the recent release is superior to the previous released version. I have not yet bought the Ross 78 cd quite simply because I still hold out hope for an expanded version, but I can certainly vouch for the sound quality on aewdr.
    Thank you Bluebrock. I guess I will have to open it up after all. LOL

I finally go the latest Japan releases of Baby It's Me and Ross and they both sound great. They came out as mini-LP sleeves a few years earlier and luckily came out later as more affordable versions in regular jewel cases [[which I kind of like better anyway, cuz it seems like you have to be more cautious dealing with the special mini-LP packaging with protective plastic sleeves...)

Quote Originally Posted by Buttered Popcorn and so forth View Post
    I finally go the latest Japan releases of Baby It's Me and Ross and they both sound great. They came out as mini-LP sleeves a few years earlier and luckily came out later as more affordable versions in regular jewel cases [[which I kind of like better anyway, cuz it seems like you have to be more cautious dealing with the special mini-LP packaging with protective plastic sleeves...)
    I am still holding out hope for a an expanded version of "bim"on cd. I don't honestly think it will happen but never say never.........