[REMOVE ADS]

Kim Weston - Take Me in Your Arms

I saw this now iconic performance on Channel 9 CKLW when it was originally broadcast back in the day. Kim Weston singing "Take Me In Your Arms" a recording that epitomizes the "Motown Sound". Back then it was just the music we listened to and it was everywhere in and around Detroit. We did not analyze it like we look back and do today.

Was it the tamborine, was it the rhythm guitar, the percussion or Kim's Gospel influenced vocals that gave it the Motown Sound? What was it that made this particular song so great?

I've gotta say I've never heard this particular alternate-sounding mix, but the hit single version of Kim Weston's "Take Me In Your Arms" is one of the hottest records that Motown ever released. The tambourine and the baritone sax are two ingredients that stand out every time I hear this masterpiece. Kim's vocals and The Andantes are perfect in every way. I know that, visually speaking, Motown released three particular singles that even LOOKED hot. As the record revolved at 45 r.p.m., the grooves formed a white-colored spiral that moved constantly across the playing surface. "Take Me In Your Arms" was one of them. The other two were The Marvelettes' " Too Many Fish In The Sea" and The Supremes' "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart". Whatever was contained in those grooves jumped out at you both aurally AND visually. Like Soulster once said so eloquently, "Those records were cut hot!" And, boy, was he right!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I've gotta say I've never heard this particular alternate-sounding mix, but the hit single version of Kim Weston's "Take Me In Your Arms" is one of the hottest records that Motown ever released. The tambourine and the baritone sax are two ingredients that stand out every time I hear this masterpiece. Kim's vocals and The Andantes are perfect in every way. I know that, visually speaking, Motown released three particular singles that even LOOKED hot. As the record revolved at 45 r.p.m., the grooves formed a white-colored spiral that moved constantly across the playing surface. "Take Me In Your Arms" was one of them. The other two were The Marvelettes' " Too Many Fish In The Sea" and The Supremes' "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart". Whatever was contained in those grooves jumped out at you both aurally AND visually. Like Soulster once said so eloquently, "Those records were cut hot!" And, boy, was he right!
    Ah ha! So are able to pick out some concrete aspects of this record that makes it great across the board. The tamborine and the percussion and Kim's phrasing are what does it for me on this one.

Eddie Holland did a credible job on the original a year earlier. If my ears are good, the same backing track was used on Kim Weston's version.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post

Eddie Holland did a credible job on the original a year earlier. If my ears are good, the same backing track was used on Kim Weston's version.
    I like Eddie's version too. I always liked his singing. If I had a sixties party, I would play Eddie's version and they would dance! LOL!

What do you folks think about the Doobie Bros. version? It is decent, but live it sounded better to me. Kim's is the real deal tho.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    What do you folks think about the Doobie Bros. version? It is decent, but live it sounded better to me. Kim's is the real deal tho.
    I liked the Doobie's version, but Kim's is still my all time favorite version.

This was my first version:

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    This was my first version:

Thanks for posting, hum not bad. I liked the background which I think saved the recording. This version has just a bit of funk to it.

Kim's version was my first -- and will always remain my favorite -- version, but Jermaine's version is hot and has always been a close second. Somehow, unfortunately, the Isley Brothers' version never tripped my trigger. I wanted to love it but couldn't.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 06-24-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Kim's version was my first -- and will always remain my favorite -- version, but Jermaine's version is hot and has always been a close second. Somehow, unfortunately, the Isley Brothers' version never tripped my trigger. I wanted to love it but couldn't.
    I actually love the Isleys version as much as Kim's. It depends upon my mood which I prefer but I am and always have been a huge fan of the Isleys. Their Motown material is revered here in the UK. I know it often gets overlooked in the USA but for me they are one of the most important acts to have recorded for Motown. Ron Isley's voice gets me everytime. However I do adore Kim's version too.

It seemed odd to me that the Isley Brothers' version was selected for inclusion in the Singing Machine Original Artists Karaoke series [[Motown - Baby I Need Your Lovin', Vol 11), released in 2004.

Had Kim's version been included, there would have been the additional opportunity of hearing the band track in stereo, without lead vocals, as I still think it is one of the very best Motown ever made.

I believe The Isleys 45 missed the US top 100 and R&B top 20, yet Kim's was the better selling release, scraping the top 50 and climbed near the top of the R&B chart.

I seem to recall reading there was a problem with availability of a stereo version of Kim's for the Karaoke series release in 2004. If that is true, there didn't seem to be a problem with finding one for the release of her Motown Anthology in 2005, the following year.

I agree! The instrumental or band track is one of the best ever to come out of Motown. It builds up slowly and then BAM!

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post

I seem to recall reading there was a problem with availability of a stereo version of Kim's for the Karaoke series release in 2004. If that is true, there didn't seem to be a problem with finding one for the release of her Motown Anthology in 2005, the following year.
    WBG, I seem to recall either Harry or Andy from Ume mentioning why Kim's version wasn't used, was because the multitrack master for Kim's version of TMIYA was "Unavailable" at the time of the Singing Machine Projects, so they used the Isley's version.

What that meant exactly, I'm not sure, [[I guess it might have been in the main Ume tape vault in New Jersey), but it clearly exists, as the version in the video is new mix from the multitrack, and appears to use both the lead vocal used on the 45 & 'Big Hits' stereo mixes, and also the alternate vocal that was used on the unissued mono mix from the UK Anthology.

As much as I'd like an instrumental mix of the track, it would be even nicer to have a digital copy of the multitrack to play around with!

[[One day Ume, perhaps!)

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 06-24-2015 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I actually love the Isleys version as much as Kim's. It depends upon my mood which I prefer but I am and always have been a huge fan of the Isleys. Their Motown material is revered here in the UK. I know it often gets overlooked in the USA but for me they are one of the most important acts to have recorded for Motown. Ron Isley's voice gets me everytime. However I do adore Kim's version too.
    Bluebrock, don't get me wrong, I, too, love The Isley Brothers' Motown material. It's just that Kim's version of "Take Me In Your Arms" was my first version and, to my ears, a masterpiece. Had I heard The Isley's version first, I would probably feel differently. If I recall, wasn't the tempo increased on the Isley's version? I haven't played it in ages and ages. If I recall, it was way too fast, whereas Kim's version was perfect from start to finish.

But, yeah, I love the Isley Brothers' "This Old Heart Of Mine" and "Soul On The Rocks" albums, and some of their previously-unreleased Motown tracks were excellent, especially "Weak Spot In My Heart".
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 06-25-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Kims is the best! I knew she was special when she did It Takes Two with Marvin Gaye.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Kims is the best! I knew she was special when she did It Takes Two with Marvin Gaye.
    I totally agree Stephanie. Kim Weston is a singer's singer!

Bluebrock, don't get me wrong, I, too, love The Isley Brothers' Motown material. It's just that Kim's version of "Take Me In Your Arms" was my first version and, to my ears, a masterpiece. Had I heard The Isley's version first, I would probably feel differently. If I recall, wasn't the tempo increased on the Isley's version? I haven't played it in ages and ages. If I recall, it was way too fast, whereas Kim's version was perfect from start to finish.

But, yeah, I love the Isley Brothers' "This Old Heart Of Mine" and "Soul On The Rocks" albums, and some of their previously-unreleased Motown tracks were excellent, especially "Weak Spot In My Heart".
    And you are thoroughly entitled to your view my friend. I think it was the Isleys version that I heard first and had I heard Kim's first then maybe I would have the same opinion as you. The Isleys version is taken slightly quicker as I recall.
    weak spot in my heart is indeed a real gem. Thanks for your opinion.