[REMOVE ADS]

Taylor Swift versus Apple

All I can say is "You go girl!" Apple, which is debuting it's music streaming service was planning a three month introductory run where artist and publishing royalties would have been ignored. A total rip-off to the contributors of whatever passes as the music business these days. She pulled her product from the fledgling website and they, apparently relented and will now pay royalty monies to the proper people. She is to be roundly applauded for going to bat for artists and writers that, otherwise, wouldn't have made a cent.

My question is: Where was BMI and ASCAP, besides the individual publishing companies, in all of this? Why did it take this singular female artist to shake things up to right a wrong? Where were the lawyers that should have been all over Apple for even thinking of attempting such a thing in the first place? In the "old" days, the music business wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but something like this would NEVER have been attempted. Major kudos to this young, talented and gutsy female artist for staring down the big boys.

I read this yesterday and this morning. All I can say is that was a swift response from Apple!

But, get this! http://pdnpulse.pdnonline.com/2015/0...hypocrisy.html
    Last edited by soulster; 06-22-2015 at 05:01 PM.

I've been waiting for this! I am a streaming fan - I LOVE having access to music I would otherwise never hear [[for the record: I am a PAYING Spotify subscriber) but I support those seeking higher royalties and the rights of artists to choose whether to stream or not. Like her or not, Ms. Swift has made herself a behemoth and is using her power wisely.

For the record, Robert, Spotify is the worst at paying royalties. I get something like .000075 per stream. I would need a million streams just to buy a pizza.

Once Apple music makes its debut, I'll probably kiss spotify goodbye. Taylor Swift just gained massive cool points for sticking up for music makers.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    For the record, Robert, Spotify is the worst at paying royalties. I get something like .000075 per stream. I would need a million streams just to buy a pizza.
    I've heard that - hopefully the pressure will be on Spotify to mend their ways. But didn't you say in a prior post that youtube pays nothing for all the music & clips people post here?

I'm not sure about Youtube, Robert. I seem to have some sort of agreement with them which I never completely understood. All I do know is that Spotify is a joke. My contract is with CDBaby and by themselves, have been very fair, paying a good return on CDsales and downloads. They made a big deal about their association with Spotify when it came to be sending me emails touting how cool this was. Boy did they get that one wrong.
    I was trying to remember what my single [[45 rpm) royalty was with Motown. I think it was 7 cents per unit sold. That didn't include writers royalties either. Easy to see a much better deal than what is being dished these days. No wonder the record business, or what exits of it these days, is in shambles.

I cannot stand Taylor Swift's music but good on her for standing up for other musicians.
    I respect her for that.