[REMOVE ADS]

Figuring out Titles [[in posts using abbreviations)

I really enjoy this enjoy this forum, both as a participant [[although my postings are limited in number) and as one who reads the news, opinions, and interesting insights that I never knew before.

Maybe it's my age, but I do have a special favor. When I am reading a post which refers to a song title [[or any other title), I have difficulty figuring out what letters such as SITSOL or YKMHO stand for. Yes, one will say, all I have to do is research what has been said before at the beginning of the post or the title of the post or look at the previous post. Oftentimes, that's time consuming [[and because my short term memory deficit becomes evident) considering there are usually a lot of other titles which have been listed. Help this challenged member out, if you can. SMILE

Different things work for different folk. To me, for example, it would take me longer to type out just the beginning letters as opposed to just typing the whole title.

Ok, what title do the letters in my first paragraph [[SITSOL; YKMHO) represent?

Have a great day, everyone!

Hi I usually just used one word, like STOP or SOMEDAY . It takes a second but I can usually figure out the acronyms.

I think SITSOL should be SITNOL - then it would refer to Stop In The Name of Love.
    YKMHO is You Keep Me Hanging On

I also prefer to see song titles in words [[even if abbreviated) instead of acronyms, although I understand the reason for their use.

And I'd suggest that SITSOL in full is 'Standing In The Shadows Of Love'...

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    And I'd suggest that SITSOL in full is 'Standing In The Shadows Of Love'...
    Never thought of that and I think you are right. I automatically thought of it as a Supremes record

thomas96 Guest
    Why are people so lazy when they type? What's so hard about full sentences and full words?

When the Funk Brothers video came out, many of us were guilty of using SITSOM for Standing In the Shadows of Motown.

I use DRATS for Diana Ross and the Supremes.

Consider me told off!!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    When the Funk Brothers video came out, many of us were guilty of using SITSOM for Standing In the Shadows of Motown.

I use DRATS for Diana Ross and the Supremes.

Consider me told off!!
    Hey, theboyfrommxtown, I didn't intend to tell anyone off [[smile). I am not one to judge at all; this was just my observation [[and how it limits me.) Some of the abbreviations are easier for me to instantly recognize than others. I must confess, I never stumble at understanding when I see DRATS, for example.
    BTW SITSOL is "Standing in the Shadows of Love"....gotcha, Milven!
    LILAIIMH was always a hard one to figure out.
    Last edited by jobucats; 06-24-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Hey, theboyfrommxtown, I didn't intend to tell anyone off [[smile). I am not one to judge at all; this was just my observation [[and how it limits me.) Some of the abbreviations are easier for me to instantly recognize than others. I must confess, I never stumble at understanding when I see DRATS, for example.
    LILAIIMY was always a hard one to figure out.
    Yep ... LILAIIMY is definitely a tricky one [[types he after spending five minutes wondering what it could be and thinking maybe you meant LILAIIMH).

Funnily I don't find LILAIIMH "easy" either, but if someone refers to it as "Itching" I have no difficulty at all.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Yep ... LILAIIMY is definitely a tricky one [[types he after spending five minutes wondering what it could be and thinking maybe you meant LILAIIMH).

Funnily I don't find LILAIIMH "easy" either, but if someone refers to it as "Itching" I have no difficulty at all.

Roger
    Thanks, Roger for correcting the last letter. I went back and edited in the correction in my post. You see, I don't see how people can type out all of those letters more easily and accurately than just typing out the words. I'm "itching'" to know.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    LILAIIMY was always a hard one to figure out.
    Yes, you did and I think you may have gotten me again. I would have guessed that LILAIIMY was Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart, but I am one letter off.

Your reference to DRATS reminded me of the Mary Wilson Message Board. After the original webmaster died, Webby Bob took over and moderated. He kept seeing posts about DRATS but couldn't figure out what DRATS were. Finally his curiosity got the best of him and he had to ask. He was not a Supremes fan as was the previous moderator and wasn't expected to know.

I suppose that in the internet age, it is perfectly fine to use an acronym for a long song or album title in a thread if the title had been previously spelled out in full in the beginning of it. Writing out the entire title is really annoying after a while, especially it it is used often.

I realize that the use of acronyms can sometimes get out of hand, and at times, downright absurd if several of them are used. What I sometimes do in these cases, is type half of the title so that a reader will have an idea of what it is. For example, for a song title like "Standing In The Shadows Of Love", i'll type: "Standing in the Shadows...".

What is needed is a compromise between the writer and the reader.

Actually it's quite interesting working out those song initials sometimes. Must be a time saver on occasion, imagine typing out " I've Been Carrying A Torch For You So Long That I Burned A Great Big Hole In My Heart" a few times [[I'll leave you to work out the initial speak on this one but it's a song by Nino Tempo and April Stevens). Nevertheless I suspect many of us here are of an advanced age so should try and accommodate everyone.

But I do have a gripe and it relates to the use of poor English when it would be much easier to get it right. How often do you see, for example, Your All I Need To Get By or Heaven Must Of Sent You when what they really mean is You're All I Need To Get By and Heaven Must Have Sent You. Clearly we know what is meant so it could be considered a small issue but it is most annoying. There, that's just my gripe!

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    But I do have a gripe and it relates to the use of poor English when it would be much easier to get it right. How often do you see, for example, Your All I Need To Get By or Heaven Must Of Sent You when what they really mean is You're All I Need To Get By and Heaven Must Have Sent You. Clearly we know what is meant so it could be considered a small issue but it is most annoying. There, that's just my gripe!
    It's my peeve, and a major one! It pisses me off that people can't use proper punctuation. But, it's not just people. It's software, too. When I create my various artist comps, I create the track sequence in Roxio. That program removes all punctuation, so I have to manually go through each song title, sometimes hundreds of them, and put them back in! I care about the title being correct! I go further than that! I check the title against what it was on the original 45 or album label.

I also hate people who can't be bothered to format their posts with paragraphs, and wind up with one big blob. It's an immediate turn-off, and will cause me to not bother reading their post.

I know what you mean soulster. I can't count the time I've spent confirming the right place to put brackets in song titles. I guess that doesn't happen with initial speak does it - imagine [[CRH)ITOYN.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I know what you mean soulster. I can't count the time I've spent confirming the right place to put brackets in song titles. I guess that doesn't happen with initial speak does it - imagine [[CRH)ITOYN.
    I feel both of you. I am a serious stickler for correct grammar/punctuation/syntax as well. I spend lots of time correcting my mp3 files as a result.

"[[Come 'Round Here) I'm the One You Need"!

At least we don't have to bother about question marks in titles.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post

I realize that the use of acronyms can sometimes get out of hand, and at times, downright absurd if several of them are used. What I sometimes do in these cases, is type half of the title so that a reader will have an idea of what it is. For example, for a song title like "Standing In The Shadows Of Love", i'll type: "Standing in the Shadows...".

You're right Soulster. Being in the same position as jobucats in his initial post I think it's the best solution.

I don't see any point in writing the title out in full more than once in the same post.