[REMOVE ADS]

The Spinners - I'll Always Love You

One of the few Spinners songs that I like. Yup, sorry to say that I never really liked their style.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    One of the few Spinners songs that I like. Yup, sorry to say that I never really liked their style.
    Copley were we seperated at birth? I liked the Spinners after they left Motown. hey cut some good records, but I've always like Sweet Thing over this one. the arrangement is more complex and interesting to my ear. I'll Aways Love You could have been given to David Ruffin o
    r Eddie Kendricks and the results would have been about the same in my opinion.

One of my all-time top five favourite Motown songs. I've always loved it - and I always will. Each to his own, I know, but Copley, shame on you!

However if you don't like someone's singing style, you're not going to like anything they do. I take it when you say 'I don't like their style,' you don't like Bobby Smith's voice [[to be honest, the guys' back-ups weren't that distinctive.

His is one on its own in soul music, and I've got to say I prefer his leads to Phillippe Wynn's. But that's just my opinion!

I actually prefer their Motown stuff over the Philly hits but Bobby Smith has one of the greatest tenors of all time and his leads on "Games People Play" and "I'll Be Around" are my faves from the Philly period though I loved Phillippe's voice.

That said, like I pointed out, their Motown stuff and stuff with Tri-Phi had more edge to them IMHO.

This has to be one of my very favorite Motown Spinner releases. It makes my Top 10 Classic Motown of all time. Really dig the rhythm and the sax and the harmony and...

Haaaaaaaaaa,this is just my favorite song by the spinners,this one cranks for me from the summer of my youth[1965]what a song!!!!

One of the many great Motown recordings. Everything about it is right up there. IMHO their best.

A classic Motown track, but I always favored "Truly Yours" a little more. I love their Atlantic stuff, but their Motown is my favorite, too.

^ Yeah that track's top stuff, I'm just gonna post the link to that one lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9e5rf8EeuE

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ Yeah that track's top stuff, I'm just gonna post the link to that one lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9e5rf8EeuE
    Thanks, Midnightman. Super great track!

^ Welcome.

"The one thing I'll never understand
    Is how you found the nerve to take a pen in your hand
    And sign your letter truly yours,
    When you were never truly mine.

Brilliant lyrics on "Truly Yours"...should have been bigger than "I'll Always Love You".

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    "the one thing i'll never understand
    is how you found the nerve to take a pen in your hand
    and sign your letter truly yours,
    when you were never truly mine.

brilliant lyrics on "truly yours"...should have been bigger than "i'll always love you".
    i agree truly your is a great follow up and should have been big...not bigger than i'll always love you,but bigger than it was!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    "The one thing I'll never understand
    Is how you found the nerve to take a pen in your hand
    And sign your letter truly yours,
    When you were never truly mine.

Brilliant lyrics on "Truly Yours"...should have been bigger than "I'll Always Love You".
    They are brilliant lyrics, and those particular lyrics, the most brilliant. Those have always been my favorite lines from the song as well.

I always loved What More Could A Boy Hope For. Why this remained in the vault for so many years was a tragedy...Paulo XXXX

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  21.1 KBI prefer Bobby Smith to Phillippe Wynne's as well. "I'll Always Love You" is, by far, my favourite Spinners' song.

Both "Truly Yours" and "I'll Always Love You" were written by Ivy Jo Hunter and William 'Mickey' Stevenson. If there was an 'Unsung' for songwriters, they should be on it.

Mickey Stevenson is probably my fave Motown songwriter.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  21.1 KB
    Stevenson/Hunter are my favorite Motown writing team.

"Truly Yours" and "I'll Always Love You" , are two of my favorite "Detroit Spinners" tracks , but the killer diller of them all IMHO is "It's A Shame". Shamefull in its execution and production perfection and also as the stepping stone to the next phase of the groups progression and the dodge of the "leave Motown ,and you will drown in shixx curse" ,that Gladys and Co ,Isley Bros and Four Tops beat , royally.

It's A Shame is one of the few, if not the only one, Motown song without a piano/keyboard/vibes to be heard, very rare for Motown. It's Stevie penned and produced, the sound hints to the next decade, the seventies.
    "Truly Yours" and "I'll Always Love You" are epitomes of the mid-sixties Motown sound and are valuable just for that fact.
    In my book the writer/producer combination Stevenson-Hunter matches Cosby-Moy. Ivy Hunter's work for the sixties Isleys is musically magnificent, in hindsight.

And, people, what about Ask The Lonely? Just Another Lonely Night anyone? I'm Still Loving You? I'll Keep Holding On?

You mean. those are also non keyborard tracks? Probably... but I wouldn't dare strolling too far off topic

Robbert, actually replying to Robb K's reference to Stevenson-Hunter as a great team. Sorry