[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Shark!

Shark!

http://news.yahoo.com/north-carolina...222559365.html

Very tragic about the two teens severely injured by shark attacks in North Carolina.
    It reminds me of an incident that happened when I was 14...and had ALL the answers. I was on vacation with my parents in Dayton Beach. I had one of those flimsy, blow up rafts and was 'instructed' by my parents to not go out more than a few feet. Well, being 14 and having the wisdom of the world....of course I went out....way out. Actually, wasn't paying much attention until I looked up and the shoreline was off at a distance. I sort of freaked out. I started frantically paddling back and I was bumped under the raft by 'something'? I could see something large and dark that kept circling the raft and would periodically bump under the raft. I can't honestly say I knew much about sharks at the time [[this was pre-Jaws). I finally got back to shore and had drifted about a mile down the beach. I was met by hysterical parents and the worst sunburn of my life. No one was speaking to anyone and I suffered all the way back home with a horrible sunburn. I guess I was lucky that whatever 'that' was.....didn't decide to have lunch! I never told my parents about what happened 'out there'. I've never been back in the ocean and that's fine with me.

Hey blueskies,maybe ol jaws decided that you were too small to eat and let you go..man you were lucky.

Yes, arr&bee....I was lucky. I saw Jaws about 10 years later and I remember I was sweating in that seat thinking about 'that' experience. It's never left me. PTSD!! LOL

Scary story, Blueskies. But glad you lived to tell it. Very easy to get far away from shoreline before you even know it. Luckily, whatever was bumping your raft eventually moved on. But I'm sure you felt it wasn't soon enough.