[REMOVE ADS]

Mr. Jimmy Scott - One Of The Best - "All The Way"

I photographed a wedding today. Towards the end the DJ asked if there were anything I'd like to hear. I recommended this as the "last dance" for the [[no longer young) bride-and-groom. Brought the house down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFLL26aKr5w

Robert,
    Many thanks for posting this fine piece by Mr. Scott. You can take all the contestants on American Idol, The Voice, and whatever so called "talent" show is around these days and Jimmy blows them all out of the water with his delivery and talent. They just don't make them like that anymore. Such a damn shame in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Robert,
    Many thanks for posting this fine piece by Mr. Scott. You can take all the contestants on American Idol, The Voice, and whatever so called "talent" show is around these days and Jimmy blows them all out of the water with his delivery and talent. They just don't make them like that anymore. Such a damn shame in my opinion.
    Yes, Ralph - they don't understand that singing is not an athletic contest of the loudest / longest / shrillest notes possible! I'm thankful that Mr. Scott had his '90s return and left us with 10 excellent, contemporary albums as well as his wonderful early work. Best to you -

RobertaZ & Ralph thank you for your wonderful posts and kind words.

Jimmy was truly one of a kind, who was so admired and reverie-red by so many other Artists as their prototype when it came to singing, phrasing a lyric, and telling the story.
    For me, what I miss most about Jimmy is his sincere sweet personality, he was so kind hearted. That spirit was felt by everyone who met him. He was an incredible man.

RobertaZ, if you can, please post his video of "Time After Time" where Jimmy talks about the importance of a lyric.

{{{HUGS}}},
    S.S.

I remember Mike McLean telling me how his girlfriend was going to drag him to a Jimmy Scott concert, and not knowing much about Jimmy balked at going. But he was SO glad he relented and went to the performance. Mike's main word was "Elegant". This from a guy that had seen it all and generally disapproved of most he had seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    RobertaZ & Ralph thank you for your wonderful posts and kind words.

Jimmy was truly one of a kind, who was so admired and reverie-red by so many other Artists as their prototype when it came to singing, phrasing a lyric, and telling the story.
    For me, what I miss most about Jimmy is his sincere sweet personality, he was so kind hearted. That spirit was felt by everyone who met him. He was an incredible man.

RobertaZ, if you can, please post his video of "Time After Time" where Jimmy talks about the importance of a lyric.

{{{HUGS}}},
    S.S.
    Here it is, ma'am! We thank you so much for your part in the creation of this superb and timeless music.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRmUWeD9YR0

Thank you, RobertaZ. I never get tired of that video and it never ceases to move me to tears.
    We loved Japan and the Japanese people who were so gracious and sweet, they adored Jimmy. He truly was their Michael Jackson. Made him number 1 male vocalist for every year he toured there.
    Great memories.
    S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    Thank you, RobertaZ. I never get tired of that video and it never ceases to move me to tears.
    We loved Japan and the Japanese people who were so gracious and sweet, they adored Jimmy. He truly was their Michael Jackson. Made him number 1 male vocalist for every year he toured there.
    Great memories.
    S.S.
    It's interesting to hear you say that, Ms. SS, because whenever I see that clip I'm impressed by the look of total entrancement on the faces of the audience members. They cling to every word and syllable.

Yes they do but that happened at the majority of Jimmy 's shows. You could hear a pin drop, the audiences were mesmerized and often in tears.
    Waiters stop waiting, bartenders stopped tending, whenever vocalists like Jimmy or Billie Holiday would sing. You couldn't help but stop in your tracks and turn towards the stage.

S.S.

I think that is is exactly what Mike McLean was saying when he referred to Jimmy's performance as "elegant"

The attention to detail in each perfectly enunciated word is amazing. In "All The Way" just listen to the way Mr. Scott sings the word "fool" - he aurally defines the word fool better than any dictionary ever could.

Well said RobertaZ, his phrasing was impeccable.

Thanks for your great listening ears.

S.S.

A song for the day from Mr. Scott:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIOrKd9puMI

Another song that brings tears to my eyes. There's no doubt God was in Jimmy, a precious gift from God to the world, you could feel it, it was in his spirit always and in his delivery of his songs. He was truly an earth Angel.

Thanks again RobertZ.

S.S.

Mr. Jimmy Scott song of the day! Listen to the interplay between Mr. Scott's vocals and the horn -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgY-lZZViU

RobertZ, there's also a live version from' Sessions at 54th' or In Session, the television show, on youtube. .

S.S.

This time, early Mr. Jimmy Scott - "This Masquerade" -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g9FOgh5V2M

RobertZ,
    That was the first 45 I heard of Jimmy''s on the Sharp label, a subsidiary of Savoy Records from 1960.
    He recorded several times, first time was in 1951.

S.S.