[REMOVE ADS]

Can We Talk About Alabama Shakes?

I have learned so much from you folks on here and trust your judgment, so let me ask you about this group. When they came out a few years ago, they were hyped big-time. So I thought "hmmm, Southern Soul band with a supposedly powerhouse female singer....sounds right up my alley." So I bought the first CD. Well I was so unimpressed with it that I listened once and then put it away.

Well now there is a follow-up CD out and once again the media has just raved about how great it is. In this case, I had a gift card to use, so at least someone else paid for it. But the results were certainly not any better.

There may be an occasional decent guitar rift here and there, but there are no songs that have a hook or stay with you, the lead singer's vocal power is nothing to get excited about, and for the most part the lyrics are unintelligible. So once again, I will put this one away and probably never listen to it again.

So tell me, oh wise ones. Does anybody out there agree with me, or am I just missing the appeal of this "super group?"

I more or less agree. I think they have tremendous musical ability but I don't think the songs are very good. I like the singer much more than you - her Phoebe Snow meets Mavis Staples is just wonderful to my ears - but due to the material both cds have been 1-timers for me as well.

I know it's aggrevating when one trys to start a thread and no one gets involved.
    Going by the old saying "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything.", I ain't saying NUTHIN!

I thought their first big hit, 'I Ain't The Same' was pretty good. I think the lead singer's got a great voice - very unique compared to what else is out there right now.

I also have a theory about the critical raves; here it is! Most critics nowadays are probably quite young, let's say at least under 40. They are not accustomed to hearing the sound/tytepe of music made by AS, so to them it's something new. Ergo, raves. But I have to say again I think they're quite good, but the material is "whatever".

Thanks for the comments thus far. It is not much to go on but it does appear that I may have been right with my assessment.