[REMOVE ADS]

Favorite Freda Payne song

I know we have plenty of Freda fans on here. Today I was playing a nice collection by her in my car and one of my favorite songs came on. However, it is one of those rare cases where it was just an album track, a song that to my knowledge was never a single release.

It is called "For No Reason" and it was originally on the Reaching Out album. It is a very tender, tearjerker song, and I especially like the bridge when she sings "I Wouldn't Have Minded Much..........." So are there any other fans of that song, or did you guys mainly like her hit singles from that Invictus period?

I also like the uptempo song "Mood For Love" from the same album. She showed a lot of versatility on that particular release and also looked rather hot on the cover!

I have to say the one that stuck for me is a single, Bring the Boys Home. It was redone a few years back by the Canadian artist, Jann Arden.

Favorite Freda Payne song? This one right here...............

Deeper and deeper

I love the stares and whispers album. Also deeper and deeper and bring the boys home, and whilst it might be slightly overplayed Band of gold is an all time classic song that I have adored for 45 years. I never tire of hearing it. I love Freda!

Bluebrock,
    Band Of Gold was recorded at Tera Shirma. One of the first sessions done there after HDH split from Motown.

And what a mighty fine job they did too ralpht!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I love the stares and whispers album. Also deeper and deeper and bring the boys home, and whilst it might be slightly overplayed Band of gold is an all time classic song that I have adored for 45 years. I never tire of hearing it. I love Freda!
    Slightly overplayed where? I haven't heard that record on oldies radio in years.

I love "Yours To Have" from the classic period, and from the now, "I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water".

I love "I Left Some Dreams Back There" and "Love on Borrowed Time" from the Band of Gold album.

timmyfunk - if you lived in the UK you wouldn't be saying that. I have heard it twice this week alone, not that I am in anyway complaining. It's played regularly on radio 2 and smooth.

Another favorite Freda Payne song of mine, "I Get High":

I get high is from the afore mentioned Stares and Whispers album which is excellent throughout and was reissued by soulmusic.com a few years back. Well worth picking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    timmyfunk - if you lived in the UK you wouldn't be saying that. I have heard it twice this week alone, not that I am in anyway complaining. It's played regularly on radio 2 and smooth.
    Now I'm sure you know of the difference between US radio and radio in the UK and Europe overall. Oldies radio has become extremely selective. At least here in the tri-state area [[NY, NJ, and Connecticut).

"Band of Gold" always comes to mind when I think of Freda. It's her hit and most well-known song because it is sugary, infectious and impossible to resist. Among album cuts, I am partial to her version of Stevie Wonder's "Seems So Long", her vocal is so full-throated and sensual. I also like the title cut from her first MGM album, "How Do I Say I Don't Love You Anymore."

I've always had a soft spot for "Suddenly It's Yesterday" from "Contact". ever since it turned up on the B-side of "You Brought The Joy". I had to wait another 30 years or so, however, before I got to hear it in its intended album setting.

Sotosound - I was talking about this thread with a friend last night, who's a big Freda fan, and he immediately said 'Suddenly It's Yesterday' but it has to be on the 'Contact' album which segues from 'I'm Not Getting Any Better'. I agree that 'Contact' is a fabulous album and her best. We saw her at a show several years ago and my friend was talking to her afterwards saying how much he loved the album. Freda said that apparently it's only in later years that she realised how special 'Contact' is/was.

My own choice of a track - a hard one one, but I'd probably have to go with 'Deeper And Deeper'.

I like this opener from Contact.... it's one of those great HDH productions which are almost operas..... big intros, huge arrangements and longer recordings......

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    Sotosound - I was talking about this thread with a friend last night, who's a big Freda fan, and he immediately said 'Suddenly It's Yesterday' but it has to be on the 'Contact' album which segues from 'I'm Not Getting Any Better'. I agree that 'Contact' is a fabulous album and her best. We saw her at a show several years ago and my friend was talking to her afterwards saying how much he loved the album. Freda said that apparently it's only in later years that she realised how special 'Contact' is/was.

My own choice of a track - a hard one one, but I'd probably have to go with 'Deeper And Deeper'.
    "Deeper And Deeper" is one of those Invictus tracks with some weird edits, starting with the switch from the intro to the first verse.

I'd love to hear the unedited take of this to see what was originally intended.

My favorite Freda Payne tracks from her Invictus years would be "Deeper And Deeper" and "You Brought The Joy". Those drums are HOT, as is the entire song.

I am partial to Hungry off of the Hot LP. It was from the musical Daddy Goodness that never made it to Broadway. I worked the show in Washington DC and she was just stupendous singing this every night [[though it was a duet in the show). Maybe that's why I'm so fond of it. I wish someone would re-mix that album, though. It has horrible sound, everything is very muddy.

Whilst thinking about Freda's songs, take a look at this retrospective on Freda with Lamont Dozier etc....

As fine as freda is,anything she sings is my favorite song,hehehe.

https://youtu.be/NnHlRJX7slQ

My Favorite album of hers is "Out of Payne Comes Love[['75)", just loving it so much, and closely followed by "Stares & Whispers[['77)."
    All the songs on these albums and her performance are so polished
    that she blended her Jazz background and R&B singing so beautifully.

It was sad that she could not make any album for a long long time after "Hot[['79)."
    Actually fans had to wait until mid '90s for her new recordings.
    Last edited by blue; 06-25-2015 at 05:36 PM.