[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Motown Junkies

Motown Junkies

Does anyone know what's happened to the excellent blog "Motown Junkies?" The last posting occurred on January 30, 2015. Thank you.

RossHolloway Guest
    RadioNixon's Discovering Motown Show appears to have stopped as well.

I've missed his blogs as well! Though, I disagree with his opinion about the Tempts Baby, Baby I Need You!

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Does anyone know what's happened to the excellent blog "Motown Junkies?" The last posting occurred on January 30, 2015. Thank you.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  21.1 KB
    The site's director [[Radio Nixon) has had a lot of personal things to take care of in recent months, including moving his and his family's residence, and added hours and responsibilities in his "day job". He has assured us that he will be able to resume posting new song reviews and putting more time into his radio uploads in the near future.

I suspect that his "return" will start slowly [[actually, it already has - with the 2 recent Brenda Holloway sides), and begin to accelerate, and increase at a faster pace, and likely will reach a fairly steady pace, but probably a bit slower than his pace was at the beginning of the website's run.

On each of my very frequent return visits to the superlative site MOTOWN JUNKIES, I always leave it literally out of breath, overwhelmed by the intense and insightful critical analysis that appears in each beautifully written piece. Wrapping it all with detailed facts and a historical perspective that is nothing short of encyclopedic, its balance between that and its critical depth in explaining what the opinions are--and, moreover, how they were arrived it and what they mean to the writer--is a non-stop joyous dance that continually wipes me off my feet. Like the best of all critical thought, it transcends one's own personal stance of agreement or disagreement and offers something much more difficult to arrive at: an understanding. Like the music itself, I find it nothing short of inspiring. And it unfailingly accomplishes exactly what it always sets out to do--to send me back to the music, to listen yet again.

The shows are fantastic slices of Motown, some familiar, some obscure cuts. Always something new to discover or rediscover.

The Motown Junkies blog is really a great effort, and has some really masterful analysis. On the down side, though, sometimes he talks me out of liking a track I liked prior to reading his critique!

I like Motown Junkies... I was honored he replied to one of my threads, especially since I hardly get replies. His opinion doesn't sway mine on any of the songs. I have the whole Complete Motown Singles set, read everything, and I love it all! So much there I wish were hits. Whoever is updating the wikipedia singles section for Motown seems to be updating when he updates. I put together the rest of the singles through 1972 but I am not good at editing entries. When I sandbox my stuff, stuff gets jumbled. I hope to finish lists after 1972, I started 1973 and collected the info for the others but it's quite a task. I also am working on a list of Motown albums after 1988 since it seems no one cares about the label after it was sold. I was doing the same for singles after 1988, but there are so many catalog numbers for the same singles, I'm not sure how to format things. Anyway, I know and appreciate the work he's done based on the stuff I've done and I haven't shared or am savvy enough to post it. Kudos to him and I hope life eases up soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    On each of my very frequent return visits to the superlative site MOTOWN JUNKIES, I always leave it literally out of breath, overwhelmed by the intense and insightful critical analysis that appears in each beautifully written piece. Wrapping it all with detailed facts and a historical perspective that is nothing short of encyclopedic, its balance between that and its critical depth in explaining what the opinions are--and, moreover, how they were arrived it and what they mean to the writer--is a non-stop joyous dance that continually wipes me off my feet. Like the best of all critical thought, it transcends one's own personal stance of agreement or disagreement and offers something much more difficult to arrive at: an understanding. Like the music itself, I find it nothing short of inspiring. And it unfailingly accomplishes exactly what it always sets out to do--to send me back to the music, to listen yet again.
    The fact that it sends you back to the music to listen again is probably the best tribute of all. I agree!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Thanks! I have some catching up to do.

Motown Junkies finally has a new post; The Isley's "This Old Heart Of Mine.

http://motownjunkies.co.uk/2015/06/29/688/

Great news, MEddie. Thanks so much for posting. The MJunkies write-up is just terrific and insightful and, as expected, beautifully written.

This "Motown Junkie" is ecstatic to have the blog up and going once again!