[REMOVE ADS]

The Dells... I miss them

From Soul Train, I Miss You, one of the best of their 70s tunes. Good to see Johnny Carter 'in the line' making those moves.

Oh yes, yes ,yes! This is a classic, underrated song by the Dells! I found it on a jukebox a few months ago while in Toledo, OH and played it. Everyone seemed to remember it. I certainly did.

Without the [[late) Junior Marvin, we would've never had Teddy and without the Dells in general, a lot of the groups wouldn't have been inspired to do what they did...

A wonderful group; I love the "swapped" vocals. "The Love We Had ..." is perhaps my ultimate "45". We need more Dells CD re-releases.

As you say a wonderful wonderful group. There are so many great tunes to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Without the [[late) Junior Marvin, we would've never had Teddy and without the Dells in general, a lot of the groups wouldn't have been inspired to do what they did...
    We also have to thank 'em for not signing with PIR! Otherwise, we really wouldn't have Teddy.

Frankly, I miss groups in general! In the R&B world they've seemed to have become a thing of the past. I'd settle for a B2K knock off at this point.

You can't call it soul without the dells,i'm very lucky to have seen them perform you only need one word....legends!!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I believe its Marvin Junior, no harm though.

So many later soul groups were inspired by The Dells. I think my favorites of their long career were the late 60s material on Cadet like Nadine, their own remakes of Stay In My Corner and Oh What A Night.

This previously unissued[[!) VeeJay recording from the mid 50s was ahead of its time and foretold their greatness. [[finally made it to vinyl 45 in the 90s I think--not too hard to find, and a precious artifact of soul music history)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP52HHaSXLw
    Last edited by sunshineonacloudyday; 07-03-2015 at 04:32 AM.