[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who Should Have Fronted The Supremes

If you could pick any singer who would have served as lead, who would it be? My first choice goes to Marilyn McCoo. I think she had the full package and is also versatile. My next picks are Dionne Warwick and Roberta Flack.

Okay, I have to ask...

Do you mean after Diane left? Or if Diane was never in the group?

If you mean after she left...Roberta Flack? I can't imagine Flack fronting any group. She was so unique, and her type of vocals had nothing to do with the Motown sound. Dionne Warwick, well maybe. But even Dionne I can't imagine singing the Motown sound. I mean, I know she did a few on her "Soulful" album but to me they didn't sound like Motown although they were good.

It is easier to imagine McCoo in the post-Diane spot because, after all, she did lead [[quite often) the 5th Dimension. In fact, I've read that there was dissent in the group because she had so many solos where the group was just her background. Likely true, but who could argue with the success of her songs like "[[Last Night) I Didn't Get to Sleep at All" and "Love's Lines, Angles and Rhymes?"

Now I'm going to keep my head down because I have a feeling this thread is not going to be a nice one!

Margie Joseph .... is my choice.

Margie is an interesting choice. But wouldn't Edna Wright have been the obvious choice since Honey Cone was wrapping up its career about the same time and their style was already similar?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Margie is an interesting choice. But wouldn't Edna Wright have been the obvious choice since Honey Cone was wrapping up its career about the same time and their style was already similar?
    Jean was perfect and did the best that could be done

I agree that Jean Terrell was the perfect successor to Diana Ross. Her sound resembled Diana's enough that the group maintained a degree of continuity but different enough to signal a fresh start. And by Frank Wilsonbringing Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong back into the "group dynamic" they were off to a great start!

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    I agree that Jean Terrell was the perfect successor to Diana Ross. Her sound resembled Diana's enough that the group maintained a degree of continuity but different enough to signal a fresh start. And by Frank Wilsonbringing Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong back into the "group dynamic" they were off to a great start!
    @Mowest, I'm curious as to what about Jean's voice reminded you of Diana's. I hear people say that fairly often but to me they sound nothing alike. Jean's voice seems to be much deeper, more "soulful," not as lyrical. Can you tell me what about her voice makes you think of Diane's? Thanks.

I agree wit you Kenneth,Jean had her own style,but still Supreme tho,i could have seen Syreeta as a Supreme too.she had a Supreme style to me.

I meant after D.R. left. I think McCoo was very good throughout her career and could have kept The Supremes going in 1977 when the group wentdifferent ways.

My choice would have been Saundra Edwards who fronted The Elgins. She had a Supreme sosund on the Elgins HDH produced material . She also had one of the best voices I ever heard. If The Supremes sound were to change Id like to get opinions of having Betty Lavette or Thelma Houston as lead. I think either Betty or Thelma would have taken the Supremes in a great new direction.

My choice would have been Saundra Edwards who fronted The Elgins. She had a Supreme sound on the Elgins HDH produced material . She also had one of the best voices I ever heard. If The Supremes sound were to change Id like to get opinions of having Betty Lavette or Thelma Houston as lead. I think either Betty or Thelma would have taken the Supremes in a great new direction.

Mom's Mabley.

If Diana was never in the group: Tammi Terrell
    After Diana left: Scherrie Payne

Jean Terrell was perfect; after her departure the group should have disbanded and left the legacy untarnished.

Lynda Lawrence would have been my choice to lead the supremes after Diane left.

roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    My choice would have been Saundra Edwards who fronted The Elgins. She had a Supreme sound on the Elgins HDH produced material . She also had one of the best voices I ever heard. If The Supremes sound were to change Id like to get opinions of having Betty Lavette or Thelma Houston as lead. I think either Betty or Thelma would have taken the Supremes in a great new direction.
    hi Zantellor, how you been? Interesting choice of Saundra.

Jean certainly exceeded the expectations. Her soulful style was refreshing and added to the new direction of the group. Damn I wished she stayed longer.

Honestly, I would have loved to have seen what Gladys Knight could have done with them. To me, she always had the perfect mix of polished sophistication and down-to-earth soulfulness that would have blended perfectly with Mary and Cindy [[maybe Flo, too). I love, love, love Jean, but in live performances she always ran too far away from the melody in my opinion and I think Gladys' sound and delivery could have helped ground them a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post
    If you could pick any singer who would have served as lead, who would it be? My first choice goes to Marilyn McCoo. I think she had the full package and is also versatile. My next picks are Dionne Warwick and Roberta Flack.
    Me. .

I don't see who else could've fronted the Supremes after Diana Ross and Jean Terrell. I honestly can't see it tbh.

From a purely technical vocal standpoint, they couldn't have done better than Jean, and Frank Wilson was a perfect choice to produce those first outings. Jean had the pipes for sure. Unfortunately, however, she didn't blend so well visually. While she was, and is, a beautiful woman, she somehow seemed to lack the glam and pizazz which was the direction in which the group was going at that time, and there was an awkwardness to her stage persona. Then, as time went on, she apparently became less of a team player and eventually she and Lynda just got disgruntled altogether and took off, leaving Mary holding the bag. The long hiatus from the studio after that just aggravated the situation, causing a general lack of interest from the public at large. Scherrie had the glam and the pipes, but her voice was nowhere near as distinctive as Jean's, and it was just lucky that Cindy was persuaded to return in order to maintain at least some kind of continuity, but by that time the general public was thoroughly confused. Then, when Susaye came on board with her astounding range, it all became such a mish-mash that interest just waned as it will. In addition, the situation with Pedro just made everything even more difficult for everybody. But I digress. I maintain that Jean, on the whole, was the best choice at the time.

Yeah. Everyone talks about the '60s period but that '70s period was a complete mess in Supremes history... people not getting along, fighting, business issues [[Mary hiring her husband to be the manager) and changing group members. The group was gonna crack altogether sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @Mowest, I'm curious as to what about Jean's voice reminded you of Diana's. I hear people say that fairly often but to me they sound nothing alike. Jean's voice seems to be much deeper, more "soulful," not as lyrical. Can you tell me what about her voice makes you think of Diane's? Thanks.
    Kenneth - I guess it's a matter of degree. If someone with a deeper, huskier voice like Dorothy Morrison or Theola Kilgore would have been chosen that would have been a tremendous contrast vocally, imo. You wouldn't think "that's still the Supremes." Diana and Jean were closer vocally although, as you point out, their styles diverged.

I think Big Al is 100% right on. [[How ya 'doon Al?) Jean was the perfect choice and while I think Scherrie had Supremes qualities, I just feel the material given to her was mismatched. Jean was awkward with the choreography and didn't have a good figure really. A beautiful face though, when she she opened her mouth to sing you somehow forgot her deficiencies. I think Scherrie, Mary and Cindy made a glamourous set of Supremes, unfortunately styles were changing and glam was not being utilized by the competing girl groups who preferred a more natural style and not so exhorbitant wardrobe.

Kenneth - I guess it's a matter of degree. If someone with a deeper, huskier voice like Dorothy Morrison or Theola Kilgore would have been chosen that would have been a tremendous contrast vocally, imo. You wouldn't think "that's still the Supremes." Diana and Jean were closer vocally although, as you point out, their styles diverged.
    Thanks for your thoughtful response...K

Bonnie Pointer [[Drug-free of course)

Truthfully, there was no better choice than Jean Terrell. She was cool, goodlooking, could dance and no one sang better than Jean! :

Jean Terrell was the perfect choice to replace Diana. People will say Syreeta would have been better, but I think she was too vocally similar to Diana. The group needed a different sound, yet have the vocal draw that Diana had. Jean was that.

If not Jean, Marilyn McCoo would have also been a perfect fit. Vocally, visually, and overall appeal, she had the "Supreme" spark. In fact, I thought her name was actually thrown around at Motown as a possible replacement for Diana.

^ Syreeta would've been a tragedy. She was good but not that good... I'm glad Mary stuck to her guns to keep Jean if the story of Berry wanting Syreeta in was true.

Its amazing how many will agree Mary or Flo were the better singer but no one here in this setting will agree that Mary or Flo could have replaced Diana either in the 60's or 70's.................GO FIGURE>>>

Don't get me wrong. I love Jean Terrell. I have all of the 70s Jean Terrell albums. Stone Love and Up the ladder are classics. But I can not listen to her very long. I could listen to Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Mary Wells, Martha Reeves etc. all day long. However there is something about Jeans voice that I can't listen to very long. It starts annoying me. It starts sounding like a little boy with a whining voice. Sorry but this is my opinion only.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 05-25-2015 at 05:19 PM.

My choice would have been Tammi Terrell if she had not passed.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Its amazing how many will agree Mary or Flo were the better singer but no one here in this setting will agree that Mary or Flo could have replaced Diana either in the 60's or 70's.................GO FIGURE>>>
    Neither of their voices could have sustained the crossover appeal which the group required. Flo could belt on the soulful stuff and Mary's specialties were ballads and pop standards, but that wasn't where the group's strength was in the great scheme of things. They needed someone who could manage to sound just a bit like Diane but who also possessed another dimension to differentiate the sound from what had gone before, since the public was becoming weary of it, even after the success of "Someday." That earlier sound would remain Diane's stock in trade while The Supremes were assigned the task of doing things differently, but not altogether differently, and those first three albums of theirs hit the target. After that, the next wave of personnel difficulties began and the group was unable to sustain the momentum. It was a time of great change both for the group and for the label as it moved west and diversified into other media. In addition, Mary's refusal to make the last-minute Syreeta-Jean switch put her and the group on Gordy's s**t list and it's likely he would not have supported them in any case, now that Diane's star was ascending so rapidly. It has been opined that he actually banked on Mary's refusal to make that switch to make it easier for him to make it appear that she had defied him. In essence, The Supremes were demoted to second-tier, and later to third-tier status at the label and there wasn't a thing in the world that Mary, as leader, could do about that.
    Last edited by BigAl; 05-25-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  21.1 KB
    To me, Jean Terrell sounded nothing like Diana. But, I liked her singing better than Diana's, so I didn't care. But, I didn't listen to new music in the 1970s [[or ever after) other than Jazz instrumentals. So, it didn't matter.

Me personally I think Florence and Mary NEVER wanted to be the lead singer. Florence was willing to go on with the group if Diana left when she was supposed to have left [[c. 1966) but Florence ironically was the first to go. But vocal wise, they couldn't really lead the group. Good voices but not enough to be the leader. Florence was not pop enough, Mary was too jazzy.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I love Jean Terrell. I have all of the 70s Jean Terrell albums. Stone Love and Up the ladder are classics. But I can not listen to her very long. I could listen to Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Mary Wells, Martha Reeves etc. all day long. However there is something about Jeans voice that I can't listen to very long. It starts annoying me. It starts sounding like a little boy with a whining voice. Sorry but this is my opinion only.
    I feel that way about Diana Ross. After 2 maybe 3 songs i have to turn it off!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I feel that way about Diana Ross. After 2 maybe 3 songs i have to turn it off!
    I guess everyone has different tastes. That's what makes the world interesting!

Singing lead is an art as well as a God given talent. Had Flo stayed in the group she could have been groomed to take over the lead. Mary had lost her confidence, but had Mary had the same confidence she had in the early days of the group I think she may have been able to lead the group with support of another strong singer like Scherrie who was a team player. I've always felt Jean was a great choice to replace Diana. Just my opinion

Does anyone know where Jean went ? Did she finally leave the industry ? In all honesty Jean was suited more as a solo artist. I take nothing away from her GOD-given talents but she did not fit as a Supreme. If you had to put her in a group she was more of a Jean Terrell and The Pips or as an Elgin.

Does anyone know where Jean went ? Did she finally leave the industry ? In all honesty Jean was suited more as a solo artist. I take nothing away from her GOD-given talents but she did not fit as a Supreme. If you had to put her in a group she was more of a Jean Terrell and The Pips or as an Elgin.
    Jean Terrell fit the Supremes like a glove. They even scored a Top Ten smash with their first release with her on lead. The song they did it with is now and an American Pop Standard. She was different than the old lead, she was herself, she was perfect for the job! Berry was right in choosing her, Mary Wilson was right in supporting and defending her.

What was also so amazing was:
    1, They did it without Berry Gordy
    2. They did it without Diana Ross
    3. They did it without HDH
    4. They did it with Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong singing the background
    5. They did it without the full support of the record company!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-25-2015 at 11:53 PM.

Aren't the Andantes on more than half of "Right On" and all of "Floy Joy". Weren't there other sessions singers background on "New Ways" as well as "Touch". Didn't the Andantes also sing background on "Up The Ladder"? Just asking.

Btw, when is this nonsense about the better singer in the Supremes going away? The right choice was made - if Ross wasn't lead, I don't very seriously the Supremes would be at the helm of the girl groups. The names Mary Wilson and Flo Ballard would be long gone from our thoughts.

After Jean left... I would have loved to seen Mary's first choice, Leola Jiles.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Jill, here she is with her group the Apollonas:

Deniece Williams

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    I had forgotten all about The Apollas! I liked them. They made the rounds of music shows for a very short time. Leola's voice was strong and, with a little dental work, she could have replaced Jean, as her voice had a similar timbre. [[Judging by this clip and photos I've seen, she bore a great physical resemblance to Mary Wells — something I didn't notice back then.) Still, however, I believe Scherrie was a better choice all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    Aren't the Andantes on more than half of "Right On" and all of "Floy Joy". Weren't there other sessions singers background on "New Ways" as well as "Touch". Didn't the Andantes also sing background on "Up The Ladder"? Just asking.

Btw, when is this nonsense about the better singer in the Supremes going away? The right choice was made - if Ross wasn't lead, I don't very seriously the Supremes would be at the helm of the girl groups. The names Mary Wilson and Flo Ballard would be long gone from our thoughts.
    You are right and there was still glitter and stardust left from the "Ross" magic that helped push "Up The Ladder" to the charts. I often wondered what plans Berry really had for her after that last night at the Frontier. Strange that no one has asked him and Mr. Gordy never talks about Jean Terrell. I believe he was a boxer at heart and Ernie convinced him to give his sister an audition.

I vote for Nella Dodds or Christine Schumacher.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTzWyhNA0Yg

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Speaking of Nella Dodds:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwhs...I&spfreload=10

Oh, brother, I just hope this doesn't go the way of so many Supremes posts. I didn't get into the Supremes until 1970 and I thought Jean Terrell's voice was perfect. She sounds like a cross between Diana Ross and Dionne Warwick. She does have a nasal tonality that is reminiscent of both. She was perfect for the times vocally. Visually, she may have not always been totally the best fit but she did both somewhat fit in the group and stand out. It was also great to hear Mary Wilson sing lead on the ballads which did somewhat remind you of the sound of Where Did Our Love Go? where Wilson is prominent on background. I actually liked the group better when Scherrie Payne joined because I felt she seemed more like a Supreme-she had the glamor and moves but she did not visually stand out. Her voice had the power of Florence Ballard and the timbre of Mary Wilson. She really had star quality and was really a group member. When Susaye replaced Cindy Birdsong, her voice was unique as well and technically had the most talent. They became three lead singers which each had their own specialty but they didn't seem to mesh together as a group together live visually. The best leads for the time happened as they did-Jean was more soulful and progressed to the next level in the Supremes sound. Mary had been featured on ballad leads since Come and get These memories and Can't Take My Eyes off of You so her progression to the front to add dimension to the sound was natural and Scherrie was perfect for the disco era-she had power, glamor and star quality and Susaye added the flavor of her own unique sound which had the high voice vocals to remind of Ross and Terrell. I have heard Florence's voice and while it is strong, it is not as unique as Ross or Terrell or even Wilson, all of whom you recognize and stand out when they sing lead.
    Last edited by jim aka jtigre99; 05-26-2015 at 01:51 PM.