[REMOVE ADS]

How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone

Does anyone have any idea as to who is singing this please? I’ve searched the internet with no luck! It’s not Diana & it’s not Jean!

thomas96 Guest
    I don't know but it's horrible in my opinion. BT's is the only version.

BT's! Who is that?

Bobby Taylor

Duh! Lol!

I actually thought the Diana Ross version was super.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I actually thought the Diana Ross version was super.
    I agree. One of her best performances ever from one of their best albums. The arrangement is superb. I love the train sounds in the music and the way it pushes Diane to sound more and more desperate. A great song!

Could it possibly be The Elgins? It sounds like a demo.

Search is over. I have discovered that it's by a Canadian singer called Katarina Andraskova who appears to be unsigned. She performs in clubs in Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Search is over. I have discovered that it's by a Canadian singer called Katarina Andraskova who appears to be unsigned. She performs in clubs in Montreal.
    I'm guessing she wasn't a member of The Elgins.

You guessed correctly

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post

She sounds great. Montreal is a great music city.

I like it,who ever is is,she has a very good voice.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I like it,who ever is is,she has a very good voice.
    Here's a few more by Katarena for your listening pleasure.

https://soundcloud.com/kellafitz

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    I don't know but it's horrible in my opinion. BT's is the only version.
    Never knew that BT & Vancouvers had recorded this great song. Excellent rendition!

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Never knew that BT & Vancouvers had recorded this great song. Excellent rendition!
    I believe it's Bobby solo, but nonetheless, absolutely fantastic. His voice fits the song perfectly. I don't dislike the Supremes' version but I can't listen to it knowing that Bobby's exists.

Here's Bobby and the Vancouver's version . Love it!

Bobby's is okay, but lacks the immediacy of Diane's vocal. I think the arrangement is too slow and leisurely...doesn't sound like there's any urgency which I think misses the point. I have to admit his voice never did much to me; it always reminded me of other Motown vocalists who were more distinctive on their own.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here's Bobby and the Vancouver's version . Love it!

Vancouvers aren't on it.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Bobby's is okay, but lacks the immediacy of Diane's vocal. I think the arrangement is too slow and leisurely...doesn't sound like there's any urgency which I think misses the point. I have to admit his voice never did much to me; it always reminded me of other Motown vocalists who were more distinctive on their own.
    No other vocalist at Motown could sing even remotely like him.

supremester Guest
    I like Ross' vocal, but not the production anywhere near as much as BT- plus his vocal is superb. I love his voice, but his interp and stylings are also fab.

Jean Terrell had a good version.
    https://youtu.be/SiPqy-6gEu0

I had never heard Bobby's version but have to admit that it is quite the production. After a few more listens, I might prefer it but for now I will stick with Diana's.

I love both Diana's and Bobby's version. If I were forced to choose a favorite, however, it would be Diana's, as hers was the version I heard and grew to love first. Bobby's is a real close second, though. Can't say I'm crazy about the instrumentation on Jean's version. Not sure if her recording is unfinished, or if the acatate makes it seem as such.

Both are excellent versions, but i prefer DR's, the orchestral arrangement makes it sound so gloomy and despairing. When I hear it I can just see her slowly sinking into bewildered desperation. Another unparalleled Motown classic.

I don't like Diane's lead version at all. Too slick. I like Bobby's more from the man's perspective. It's grittier, he sounds authentic.

Vancouvers aren't on it.
    Thanks Thomas for clarifying that. Bobby sounds great on this song.

thomas96 Guest
    I don't like Diane's lead version at all. Too slick. I like Bobby's more from the man's perspective. It's grittier, he sounds authentic.
    I agree Marv. One of my favorite songs of Bobby's. "Out in the Country" [[also on the Taylor Made Soul album) has a very similar feel in my opinion and his vocal is just as fantastic [[I just think the band track isn't quite as superb as "How Long"). A rare early writing credit of Rick James' too.

I agree Marv. One of my favorite songs of Bobby's. "Out in the Country" [[also on the Taylor Made Soul album) has a very similar feel in my opinion and his vocal is just as fantastic [[I just think the band track isn't quite as superb as "How Long"). A rare early writing credit of Rick James' too.

Yeah I was aware that Rick James wrote or co-wrote this song. I heard a version by Jean Terrell [[it was only a demo) and she sang the shit out of the song too. But Bobby made it come alive. The lyrics sound like they were written for a man. I like how Bobby builds up the tension in the song.

I'm sure that comes as a surprise to nobody...! LOL