[REMOVE ADS]

I was wondering what happened to this project.

Evan Ross grew up in the entertainment business [[his mother is Diana Ross, Michael Jackson was his godfather), but that doesn't mean the journey to "How To Live Alone," his first single, was without its detours.

Ashlee Simpson & Husband Evan Ross Changing Names to Honor Mother-In-Law Diana Ross

Ross has stayed busy pursuing an acting career, with roles in 2006's ATL, the CW series 90210, and Mockingjay Part 1, the third Hunger Games movie.

“It took a minute, but I’m glad I waited,” says Ross, who's been trying to record an album since he first moved to Los Angeles in 2004. “I could have probably rushed an album out years ago, but it wouldn’t have been good. I’m in a place now where there are things that I want to share, and this album is really about the joy of being in love."

"The joy of in love" portion is an allusion to his wife Ashlee Simpson, who he married last year. Ross clearly has romance on the brain, with the theme also emerging in "How To Live Alone."

Ashlee Simpson and Evan Ross Marry in Connecticut

"The song is about the idea that if you couldn't be with the one you love," Ross tells Billboard, "you would learn how to live alone, because you could never love another.”

Listen to the single, which features a verse from T.I., below, and look for the official release on May 18.