[REMOVE ADS]

James Jamerson's Best "Hook"

Several people seem to think it's from "How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone":

A little Motown 101 on James and "HLHTETBG".

This is my choice for Jamerson's best...............

thomas96 Guest
    This is borderline offensive to me.

Some of these guys are pretty decent, IMO. Gosh, Jamerson was SO influential.

I'd defy any bass player to try and out-do James Jamerson's playing on Leonard Caston's ''Jesus Christ Greatest Hits'' album [[Rare Earth 531). It sounds like Henry Cosby said to James, "Man, don't bother with those charts. You just do your thing.'' He sure did! It sounds like he took great pleasure in being let loose and not having to provide the bottom on some pop confection that was designed to go Top 40. Impossible to transribe, his style is instantly recogizable and unbeatable, and he manages to pack in a whole song's worth of notes within the first 30 seconds of ''Oh Happy Day''. Check it out if you can. Jamerson rules!

My all-time favorite James Jamerson bass line would be his bass triplets on The Marvelettes' "Don't Mess With Bill" and "You're The One." It was a magical "first" at the time, and it sure made Wanda Rogers & The Marvelettes sound sexy and classy -- not that they needed any help.

Check out "Tear It On Down" by the Originals. How on earth does he do it?

I always thought Jamerson brought in a little extra swag on the duets he played on. Whether it be Marvin & Tammi, The Temps & the Supremes, the Tops & The Supremes, even Edwin & Blinky. The female vocals on "What You Gave Me" might be disputed but the bass player sure isn't. 100% Jamerson on that cut.