[REMOVE ADS]

Back In My Arms Again

How can Mary tell me what to do when she lost her love so true and FLOOR......

Who's floor??????

LOLOL

Interesting..well I thought so.

Yes its a cover and they clearly don't have a good stage presence [[looking down instead of at the camera) but you must admit that they can sing... at least in an authentic soulful way. I wonder how many outstanding singers have been passed up b/c they didn't have "the look"?

I typically cringe when non-Motown groups try to do Motown. My expectation of this video was no exception. But I've gotta admit, they weren't too bad. I wouldn't race out to buy their version by any stretch, mind you, but like thanxal said, they can sing. With some proper guidance and training, they could build themselves an act that would be presentable and enjoyable. I can easily imagine these girls on the 1962-64-era Dimension label along with Little Eva, The Cookies, and The Cinderellas.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 05-07-2015 at 08:30 PM.

These girls apparently had a release or two.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=THE+AVONS+band
    Last edited by soulballad; 05-08-2015 at 01:21 PM.

BTW that link was given to me by the youtube poster of the video...I wouldn't have been able to find it myself!

It's gratifying to know that stuff talked about on this forum is useful to some.

Naw, she's was doin her best "Flo" word!

Makes you understand how expressive Diana's voice is.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    BTW that link was given to me by the youtube poster of the video...I wouldn't have been able to find it myself!

It's gratifying to know that stuff talked about on this forum is useful to some.
    Yes there really are gems here. The constant bickering aside, this forum really can be educational! I would just hope that trouble makers would be boycotted.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I typically cringe when non-Motown groups try to do Motown. My expectation of this video was no exception. But I've gotta admit, they weren't too bad. I wouldn't race out to buy their version by any stretch, mind you, but like thanxal said, they can sing. With some proper guidance and training, they could build themselves an act that would be presentable and enjoyable. I can easily imagine these girls on the 1962-64-era Dimension label along with Little Eva, The Cookies, and The Cinderellas.
    I totally agree with you.

supremester Guest
    They do a fine job on the song, but nothing special. There are lots of fine singers out there. I can't think of any singers who have made it because of their look. Cher probably had hits that she wouldn't have had in the 60's if she looked like Ophelia Pulse. Certainly not in The Supremes' case - they had sold 6 over million singles and were already Motown's #1 album act before anyone knew what they looked like. Gordy was wise enough to know that he didn't need yet another authentic soulful voice - he needed Diana Ross' voice - to make his dreams come true. Ross' unique voice and versatile vocal delivery has been loved internationally for 50 years singing Motown, standards, blues, pop, R&B........ I can't think of any other singer who has succeeded in so many vocal stylings. Lamont Dozier said, "The songs we wrote that weren't exactly great - Diana Ross MADE them great."

supremester Guest
    Thanks for posting this - I quite enjoyed it. I agree with non Motowners doing Motown songs. Creedence' Grapevine, JT's How Sweet It Is are two that still to this day make me cringe. Valilla Fudge's YKMHO was acceptable back in the day - they really nail it live now. I wish Janis had covered it.
    What did you think of Phil Collins CD?

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post

Tbfxt - I watched this with great interest, and I enjoyed it. Thought The Avons did a good job. The lead singer brought to mind Claudine Clark of PARTY LIGHTS [[1962). Thanks for posting; definitely worth seeing for anyone interested in BACK IN MY ARMS AGAIN--for me, the quintessential Supremes recording.

[QUOTE=supremester;284235]What did you think of Phil Collins' CD?

To tell you the truth, Supremester, other than Phil Collins’ recording of "You Can’t Hurry Love" back in the 1990's, I wasn’t aware that he had done a Motown tribute until you pointed it out just now. I checked it out on YouTube, and they have a video for each track in his live "Going Back" concert. What did I think of it? I sampled "Heat Wave", "Dancing In The Street", and "Up Tight". Actually, it wasn’t too bad. The orchestra is hot, as are the back-up girls and guys. I was pleasantly surprised. What did you think of it?

Quote Originally Posted by soulballad View Post

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=THE+AVONS+band
    Soul ballad, thank you very much for this post. I had never heard of The Avons until you pointed out "Just As Long As I Live" in your YouTube video. I love it! In fact, I just found it on Amazon. It’s available on the 2-disc Various Artists "Boys Can Be Mean" girl-group CD. My copy will be delivered Tuesday! Thanks again!

If anybody’s interested, here’s the link. [[Also available as a download.)

http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Mean-Shan...ys+can+be+mean

Quote Originally Posted by soulballad View Post
    The Avons sure did have a recording or two, soulballad. First of all, according to Wikipedia, there were three different groups calling themselves ‘The Avons’, one of which was a 1950's male doo-wop group.

Wiki says, "In addition, there was also a third group with the same name. This was a group of three girls from Nashville, Tennessee – Paula Hester, Beverly Bard and Fran Bard. They recorded several tracks, starting out on RCA's Groove label in 1963, then moving to Sound Stage 7 in 1966, and then to Excello in 1967, releasing their last single on Ref-o-Ree in 1968."

Now, look what I just found! The Avons [[individually named above) who recorded "Just As Long As I Live" on the Sound Stage 7 label [[included in your above video) also recorded "Be Good To Your Baby", the A-side of the record. With its Spector-esque melody, arrangement and production, and its lead singer sounding like a combination of LaLa Brooks and Ronnie Spector [[or maybe the lead singer of The Butterflys on Red Bird records), it’s a girl-group masterpiece that somehow managed to slip through the cracks AND the charts – and right past me – until now. Unfortunately, I can't find it on Amazon nor eBay. Anybody know what CD this track was from?

THE AVONS - "Be Good To Your Baby" [[Sound Stage 7 records)

[[Uploaded by Kerith Louisa Williams-Catton)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9qtJ9D_77g

Or, perhaps this less-overloaded mix [[submitted by W. Walter Watson)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x36ZtPPOlMg

Does anybody else love this newly discovered treasure as much as I do? – Gary

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 05-08-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Hmmm...pretty bad IMO. Zilch stage presence...can't really see "Mary and Floor." LMAO. You'd think they could've at least said Mable and Fran.
    Last edited by luke; 05-08-2015 at 03:30 PM.

I dare you to play the Supremes Hullabaloo performance of this song directly after the clip above! hehehehehehehehe........LOL!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    They do a fine job on the song, but nothing special. There are lots of fine singers out there. I can't think of any singers who have made it because of their look. Cher probably had hits that she wouldn't have had in the 60's if she looked like Ophelia Pulse. Certainly not in The Supremes' case - they had sold 6 over million singles and were already Motown's #1 album act before anyone knew what they looked like. Gordy was wise enough to know that he didn't need yet another authentic soulful voice - he needed Diana Ross' voice - to make his dreams come true. Ross' unique voice and versatile vocal delivery has been loved internationally for 50 years singing Motown, standards, blues, pop, R&B........ I can't think of any other singer who has succeeded in so many vocal stylings. Lamont Dozier said, "The songs we wrote that weren't exactly great - Diana Ross MADE them great."
    Totally agree. It's one thing to be able to hold a note and its another thing completely to be able to bring a lyric and a song to life.

supremester Guest
    It's better than I expected - a great homage - Love Is Here And Now You're Gone is a great take on it, but I couldn't listen to most of the tracks straight through.

[QUOTE=Philles/Motown Gary;284245]
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    What did you think of Phil Collins' CD?

To tell you the truth, Supremester, other than Phil Collins’ recording of "You Can’t Hurry Love" back in the 1990's, I wasn’t aware that he had done a Motown tribute until you pointed it out just now. I checked it out on YouTube, and they have a video for each track in his live "Going Back" concert. What did I think of it? I sampled "Heat Wave", "Dancing In The Street", and "Up Tight". Actually, it wasn’t too bad. The orchestra is hot, as are the back-up girls and guys. I was pleasantly surprised. What did you think of it?

[QUOTE=supremester;284366]It's better than I expected - a great homage - Love Is Here And Now You're Gone is a great take on it, but I couldn't listen to most of the tracks straight

The supremes owned that song no one else can claim it. Ross lead vocal made it come to life, and the use of mary and flos names and images in the song locked them into t performance no matter who sang it.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Hmmm...pretty bad IMO. Zilch stage presence...can't really see "Mary and Floor." LMAO. You'd think they could've at least said Mable and Fran.
    LOL~~~~ Stop~! LOL

They're giving that Supremes/Freda Payne impersonator a run for her money. Can't remember her name...pearlie or something. I think she was a Marvelette too.

They're giving that Supremes/Freda Payne impersonator a run for her money. Can't remember her name...pearlie or something. I think she was a Marvelette too.
    Her name was Shantel Baker! LOL!!! I think she may also have been a replacement Lennon Sister. hehehehehehehe......

Wouldn't be suprised! They also tried her out as an Andrews sister in the 70s nut he had trouble with don't sit under the apple tree with anyone else but me!

Wouldn't be suprised! They also tried her out as an Andrews sister in the 70s nut he had trouble with don't sit under the apple tree with anyone else but me!
    Ha! I forgot the Andrews Sisters were still out there in the 70s

good find John

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

How can Mary tell me what to do when she lost her love so true and FLOOR......

Who's floor??????

LOLOL

Interesting..well I thought so.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  21.1 KB
    She didn't sing "Flor", she clearly sang "Flo" with n extended "O" like "Floah". The Avons were a great Nashville group, that made several really great records [[for RCA's Groove Records, Sound Stage 7, Excello's A-Bet Records, and Ref-O-Ree Records), such as "Just As Long As I Live", "Tonight, Kiss Your Baby Goodbye", "Be Good To Your Baby". They were produced by Bob Holmes.