[REMOVE ADS]

Jimmy Ruffin Swinging Time

These have been posted before but there's been a few new regular posters here who may not have seen them. In any case, it's nice to see them again

Great!

This recent campaign of yours is beginning to look like 'John Lester Presents Vintage Motown Artists In Performance'.

Are you working your way through the entire roster?!

I'd take my hat off to you...if I were wearing one....

I'm trying my best to bring a bit of culture to the attention of SDF.

Culture....you might need to look that word up in the dictionary!

Well.....and how grateful we shall all be, I'm sure!!!

Ahem. I went to a grammar school [[actuarily), so I understand 'culture' - ! My English teacher reported that my 'speeling wuz atroschus'.

Culture? Doesn't that have something to do with growing mushrooms??

Boyfromxtown, I swear you've got an eye like a hawk when it comes to singling out and presenting rare Motown material on video! Although I've loved the above two songs since back in the day, I had never seen these videos. They're new to me and I loved them. Thanks! Keep up the great work! [[BTW, is it just me, or does Jimmy Ruffin look particularly hefty in these early videos? At first glance, he almost reminded me of Chubby Checker. By the time he released "Ruff 'N' Ready", he looked like I've always remembered him.)
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 05-07-2015 at 08:55 PM.

WGB....see what I mean. Gary enjoyed them so my efforts are appreciated.

Gary
    Hefty or not..he was a lovely looking man. If I'd been a few years younger and his type, I might have even said yes myself! LOLOL

Tbfxt - Terrific videos. I hadn't seen either of them before. Thank you for posting them. I firmly believe: "When in doubt . . . post!" You're giving someone the opportunity to see something for the first time. Or even the chance to see something again that hasn't been viewed in some time. Your thread's subject line made it clear what it was and where it was originally shown, so anyone not interested could easily skip it. But for those like myself who hadn't seen these before, it was a real treat. And a timely one because of Jimmy's recent passing. Liked him so much. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 05-07-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    WGB....see what I mean. Gary enjoyed them so my efforts are appreciated.

Gary
    Hefty or not..he was a lovely looking man. If I'd been a few years younger and his type, I might have even said yes myself! LOLOL
    Get in line! HeHe!

More great memories for local television. I watched Swingin' Time as much as possible in those days.

Marv2

You were lucky to have such a great programme. We Brits had Thank Your Lucky Stars Ready Steady Go....and that was fine but I personally wanted all the Motown artists and had to put up with all these British beat groups. OH well.. at least I get to experience the pleasure you had...even though it's some 50 years later!

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Tbfxt - Terrific videos. I hadn't seen either of them before. Thank you for posting them. I firmly believe: "When in doubt . . . post!" You're giving someone the opportunity to see something for the first time. Or even the chance to see something again that hasn't been viewed in some time. Your thread's subject line made it clear what it was and where it was originally shown, so anyone not interested could easily skip it. But for those like myself who hadn't seen these before, it was a real treat. And a timely one because of Jimmy's recent passing. Liked him so much. Thanks again.
    Thanks Methuslah2....it's about sharing....it's much more fun

Marv2

You were lucky to have such a great programme. We Brits had Thank Your Lucky Stars Ready Steady Go....and that was fine but I personally wanted all the Motown artists and had to put up with all these British beat groups. OH well.. at least I get to experience the pleasure you had...even though it's some 50 years later!

You know in hindsight, we were lucky to have so many great artist that were known around the World living at that time locally. Later when I learned of programs like TOTPS. Ready Steady Go, I wished we had viewing access to them as well. There were other regional shows
    I didn't know about back then such as "A Go Go" out of Toronto.

The Velvelettes told me they appeared on a TV show in Windsor. What TV show would that be?

The Velvelettes told me they appeared on a TV show in Windsor. What TV show would that be?
    For one that would be "Swingin' Time" on CKLW channel 9 Windsor, Ontario. They were on the Halloween Special back in the 60's dressed as witches as the performed! LOL!!!!

There were other shows like the Bill Kennedy Show that started out on channel 9, but later switch to airing on a Detroit station, Channel 50. The Supremes were on his show when it was broadcast from Canada.

They made multiple appearances. The one that I'm sure you seen of Cal, Annette and Sandra singing "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" was from "Swingin' Time" as well hosted by popular DJ Robin Seymour.

Cal recalls singing There He Goes on TV...was Swinging Time around in 1963?

I would have to defer to her and her memory as I was probably playing on the playground at that time. LOL! Sorry Cal you I love you!

To be honest, Cal wasn't that much older herself and I dare say she'd have preferred to be in the playground with you! LOL

To be honest, Cal wasn't that much older herself and I dare say she'd have preferred to be in the playground with you! LOL
    You'd better watch out. She could be reading this! LOL!!!

Swingin' Time was not on the air in 1963.

supremester Guest
    I love all of these rare videos. I don't always comment because it seems so redundant, but you archivists are so much appreciated!