[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys Knight & The Pips - Giving Up

I've always thought that "Giving Up" sounded much better live than on record - especially that rather poor Motown re-recording. And so it proves here - they are truly on form with this one. Love it to bits.

Seen this clip before - it's fabulous. However I DO like the re-recording of Giving Up, with Clay McMurray producing. First heard it when I bought the Greatest Hits album in 1970-ish, when it was included with re-recordings of Letter Full Of Tears and Every Beat of my Heart, which I also still love.

I love the fact GK&TP redid their early hits. I wished they had done it like the Dells did it but that was okay.

Every time I hear Gladys' voice, I'm always mystified how that big ole voice came out of that little woman lol

And the Pips were fine dancers/vocalists.
    Last edited by midnightman; 05-29-2015 at 06:25 PM.

I like the Motown remake of GIVING UP better than the original.

The three re-recordings I felt were excellent... especially "Letter full of tears"

Sorry, but the original version on Maxx is by far the better recording of the Van McCoy tune. I don't care for any of the Motown rerecordings of Gladys & The Pips earlier versions.
    By the way, check out Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings rendition of "Giving Up." It may be the best one yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3onr9hAVXKA

Here's the re-recorded version of "Giving Up"