[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Now featured at the Ace website:

http://acerecords.co.uk/the-lost-motown-album

A riddle I've always puzzled over and which Keith or Paul might be able to solve.....

On the liner notes of The Best Of The Fantastic Four album, Reggie Goodwin writes "I can't help smiling when they sing "Where Do I Go From Here" because I know, and they know, the direction is up and away into the unlimited horizons of stardom." Yet there is no track of this name on this 11 [[not 12 ) track album, and I assumed the track had been left off in error.
    Name:  Back fantastic four.jpg
Views: 2591
Size:  91.8 KB

Al Kent recorded a track of this name, as did the Four Tops.... written by the team at RicTic....so can I assume there a Fantastic Four recording of this track somewhere in the vaults?

AL KENT VERSION -

FOUR TOPS VERSION

Yes, Mike, you are right: there was an FF version of "Where Do I Go From Here" recorded at Golden World, and the tape is still in the Motown Vaults. My guess is that Motown intended to use it on the album, then discovered that it had never been released so dropped it. The track became a contender for the Cellarful series at one point, don't know why it was dropped a second time - over to Paul on that one!

A re-make of the song, assigned to the FF, was started at Motown in mid-1969 but the group never recorded vocals. If they had completed it, we would likely have included this second version on the Ace CD. But the scope of that CD was always intended to be Motown recordings only, thus the original version was not a contender. So it's only been dropped twice so far, and third time lucky is still a possibility!

Wow! The Four Tops version of "Where Do I Go From Here" is great [[Levi could do no wrong), but I especially love the instrumentation on Al Kent's recording. [[It's amazing how much he sounds like Levi on that record.) Those are clearly The Andantes on Al's record. It must be one of those sessions where the girls AND the Funk Brothers snuck over to Ric-Tic to lend their talents when Berry Gordy's back was turned! Interesting, Mike Terry [[Motown's baritone sax man) arranged the music charts. I'll bet Berry issued betrayal fines galore [[$$$) for this one! If I had heard it on the radio back in the day, I would have sworn it was a new Motown release.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 05-14-2015 at 09:18 PM.

The samples are up now! The 29th can't come soon enough.

I really tries NOT to listen to the samples....but couldn't resist.

How in the world has this music taken so long to get released?

I can't wait!!!

This deserves a bump just to keep it on everyone's radar!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    This deserves a bump just to keep it on everyone's radar!
    Thanks a mil Ken!

I can't wait!!![/QUOTE]

I was going to place an order with Amazon USA but in doing so I just discovered that it will not be released until July 10, 2015.
    Please be advised accordingly.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Motown-Al.../dp/B00XAB4ZRU

Arrived yesterday, what a True Gem!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Arrived yesterday, what a True Gem!
    Mine too. Couldn't agree more. Fabulous stereo sound too.

Really enjoying this CD. I think this is the first Motown purchase i've made this year. But it has been worth the wait.

Thanks to all at ACE. A real gem to add to the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Really enjoying this CD. I think this is the first Motown purchase i've made this year. But it has been worth the wait.

Thanks to all at ACE. A real gem to add to the collection.
    I'm NOT enjoying the version of Fan The Flame. it's among my favourite Tempts tracks but it's directness is replaced by an incredibly over-orchestrated, simply weird, treatment. 0 our of 10 for Bobby taylor [[producer) and whoever arranged it.

Great CD been on in my car since Monday loving Sweet James Epps voice

Ace never let us down. I only hope the fans continue to support the product. They say they will continue their great work as long as it is financially and creatively worthwhile. Let's make them keep to their word.

I ordered from Amazon US so haven't received mine yet.

Please, one of you members post a review on Amazon. That's the best way to spur sales and we want to be sure these sell out for Ace so they'll keep releasing more great Motown. Raving about the album here is preaching to the choir!

I'm not familiar with this group's output so can someone advise if the songs have the classic Detroit sound or were the backing tracks cut elsewhere.

Thanks.

They were all cut at Hitsville.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Yes, Mike, you are right: there was an FF version of "Where Do I Go From Here" recorded at Golden World, and the tape is still in the Motown Vaults. My guess is that Motown intended to use it on the album, then discovered that it had never been released so dropped it. The track became a contender for the Cellarful series at one point, don't know why it was dropped a second time - over to Paul on that one!

A re-make of the song, assigned to the FF, was started at Motown in mid-1969 but the group never recorded vocals. If they had completed it, we would likely have included this second version on the Ace CD. But the scope of that CD was always intended to be Motown recordings only, thus the original version was not a contender. So it's only been dropped twice so far, and third time lucky is still a possibility!
    Yes the song was called for one of the volumes of Cellarful having never been heard, I auditioned the track and to be honest felt that it wasn't quite up there with the quality we had come to expect from FF. That may have been why a rerecording of the vocals had been scheduled. In this case it was much better to leave this particular song in the can.

I know ACE has largely taken over this role, but I, for one, would sure welcome a Cellarful of Motown Volume 5 or Tamla Motown Connoisseurs Volume 3. The latter series being a nice mix of rarer and unreleased Motown.

While we're at it, how about some more in the Soul Satisfaction series or even Big Hits and Hard to Find Classics Volume 5? Those were the days my friend.

Attachment 9672
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 07-11-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I know ACE has largely taken over this role, but I, for one, would sure welcome a Cellarful of Motown Volume 5 or Tamla Motown Connoisseurs Volume 3. The latter series being a nice mix of rarer and unreleased Motown.

While we're at it, how about some more in the Soul Satisfaction series or even Big Hits and Hard to Find Classics Volume 5? Those were the days my friend.

Attachment 9672
    They sure were and there's plenty to fill up future volumes of all of them - you need write to Universal UK to urge them to do more - I believe they think there is a lack of interest

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post

Attachment 9672
    Yes yes yes and more yes!!!!!

My copy arrived safe and sound direct from ACE.

Thanks Keith and the team at ACE for another great release.

I can't wait for the next one...

In the meantime I'll enjoy the "Sunny and Warm' weather..............................

Nice weather ? Blink and you'll miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    I'm NOT enjoying the version of Fan The Flame. it's among my favourite Tempts tracks but it's directness is replaced by an incredibly over-orchestrated, simply weird, treatment. 0 our of 10 for Bobby taylor [[producer) and whoever arranged it.
    I couldn't agree more! It seemed like Bobby was on some Norman Whitfield-esque ego trip with that one. The rest of the songs are spectacular. "You Turn Me Around" and "A Little Too Much", could of been singles. "Can't Forget Abut You , Baby" was one of my favorites from the Ice man, But Sweet James had me saying "Jerry Who?!" I can't believe it sat in the can all these decades.
    Last edited by jboy88; 07-14-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    They sure were and there's plenty to fill up future volumes of all of them - you need write to Universal UK to urge them to do more - I believe they think there is a lack of interest
    Paul
    would there be a direct e-mail address that would get to the relevant desk?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    There were many posts over the years imploring the "authorities' to release The Fantastic Four anthology, amongst other acts such as Blinky and Ivy Jo. I imagine the actual numbers sold are commercially sensitive, nevertheless, is it possible to indicate as to whether the release of The Fantastic Four has been commercially successful or otherwise.

If The Fantastic Four release has not garnered commercially viable numbers, I guess we should all expect the fountain to run dry......

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    There were many posts over the years imploring the "authorities' to release The Fantastic Four anthology, amongst other acts such as Blinky and Ivy Jo. I imagine the actual numbers sold are commercially sensitive, nevertheless, is it possible to indicate as to whether the release of The Fantastic Four has been commercially successful or otherwise.

If The Fantastic Four release has not garnered commercially viable numbers, I guess we should all expect the fountain to run dry......
    Please guys post some reviews on Amazon! I will as soon as I receive my copy in the next few days.

Kenny, I would be happy to write a review of The Fantastic Four's "Lost Motown Album" CD "IF" I could play it. My long-anticipated copy arrived in the mail via UPS yesterday -- DAMAGED. The damned thing looked like it had been through a war. The flat, corrugated cardboard shipping box had been ripped open on one whole side and then shabbily replaced with clear packing tape. The plastic jewel case was all cracked on the front side and severely smashed [[in broken pieces) on the back side -- so bad that the paper with graphics and track list [[up under the back jewel case) was ripped with an actual hole through it. Worst of all -- brace yourself.... this is cringe-worthy -- the Motown CD itself was mutilated with a series of horrible scratches all around one spot. God, it was sickening! Amazon's already got me set up with a new copy that'll be here Monday, if not sooner, as I knew they would [[bless their heart), but damn.... My heart sank, especially after the long, 2-month wait. Thanks a lot, UPS!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-15-2015 at 05:21 AM.

honest man Guest
    AMAZON UK Has it for under 10 quid cheers

honest man Guest
    FANTASTIC is the word for this collection ,i cannot praise enough all who were involved with this project.it is everything i hoped it would be ,my fave new track has to be Freddie Gorman IN A BAD WAY cover,absolutely ACE,maybe we will get a Freddie Gorma Motown set along with Edwin Starr vaulted Motown Material, as i now know there is no JJ Barnes left,lastly as much as i love the F4 it was so sad to read that all four members of the group had left this earth but hopefully with Ace releasing cds like this they will live on,got to say THANK YOU AGAIN,Cheers.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    FANTASTIC is the word for this collection ,i cannot praise enough all who were involved with this project.it is everything i hoped it would be ,my fave new track has to be Freddie Gorman IN A BAD WAY cover,absolutely ACE,maybe we will get a Freddie Gorma Motown set along with Edwin Starr vaulted Motown Material, as i now know there is no JJ Barnes left,lastly as much as i love the F4 it was so sad to read that all four members of the group had left this earth but hopefully with Ace releasing cds like this they will live on,got to say THANK YOU AGAIN,Cheers.
    https://youtu.be/vqRjIdvFsLU

You hit the nail right on the head, honest man. Amazon got my Fantastic Four replacement copy to me today [[3 days earlier than expected) and the word for it is indeed "FANTASTIC"! It's hard to believe that Motown would cancel the release of one of its classiest and most soulful recordings ever. I haven't had a chance to read the booklet's liner notes yet, but I'm sure I'll learn what Motown's reasoning was behind its cancellation of such a polished and sophisticated masterpiece. Thank you, ACE! You've rated a great big A+ for this CD release!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-18-2015 at 12:26 AM.

I can't believe the Cosby thread's getting more hits than this one. SMH

Well, I'll boost this thread by saying THANKS for the warm reception! And also to point out that the big credit for this release goes to Tony Rounce at Ace, whose idea this was and who wrote the essay; and to Heikki Suasolo, whose FF interview was the backbone of the research, and to Chris Jenner, who checked the facts and the pix. Errors in the annotations [[if any) can be laid at my door.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I'm not familiar with this group's output so can someone advise if the songs have the classic Detroit sound or were the backing tracks cut elsewhere.

Thanks.
    ...roverab ...here's just a few of their classic Detroit Sounds ...enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvdfaFO1xBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paD7uqiL2NI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP5ooK2sL_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYUwXqvRUAw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSMM61qbW6U

...you'll love their 'Lost Motown' CD

Just ordered mine - can't wait!

Here's my favorite Fantastic Four song :

I'll never forget when Ray Monette told us here at SDF how he came with these dreamy guitar licks. Souvenirs...

All I can say is I LOVE THIS CD!!! If Motown would've released it back in the day, it would've been a monster. This cd would've surprised a lot of people.
    Last edited by Ryon6; 07-22-2015 at 11:40 PM.

I've just played it again and it's even better than I thought it was on first play. Brilliant.

"You Turn Me Around" has a strange influence from "Cloud Nine".

The review in "Record Collector" gives it the maximum 5 stars, and reviewer Lois Wilson doesn't hand that rating out very often.

Many thanks Keith and Ace for this very satisfying release.As usual - great music and informative liner notes. I can`t wait to order the next one- "Spinners Vol. 2" ??

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Many thanks Keith and Ace for this very satisfying release.As usual - great music and informative liner notes. I can`t wait to order the next one- "Spinners Vol. 2" ??
    Yes, please!

Just love the title and the final comment of this article:

http://theseconddisc.com/2015/08/11/...antastic-four/

Unissued track new to me...... the poster wrote "Did you know the group recorded 50 tracks between 1968 to 1971, mostly on Motown's SOUL label, [[so there's a lot in Motown's vaults!) but only 3 singles were issued!!" Does that mean there might be even more tracks to come out from ACE?