[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New CD from Ace - The Fantastic Four

Ace Records are pleased to announce a new Motown CD, from the Fantastic Four. Titled "The Lost Motown LP - With Bonus Tracks From the Vaults", the CD is scheduled for release at the end of June. Track listing is as follows:

01 Take Him Back If It Makes You Happy
    02 Just Another Lonely Night
    03 If This World Were Mine
    04 A Little Too Much *
    05 We Can Work It Out *
    06 Keep On Tryin' [['Til You Find Love)
    07 On The Brighter Side Of A Blue World
    08 Don't Care Why You Want Me [[Long As You Want Me)
    09 I'm Gonna Carry On
    10 I Feel Like I'm Falling In Love Again
    11 You Turn Me Around *
    12 Just Can't Forget About You Baby *
    13 How Big Is Your Heart *
    14 It Keeps Raining Down Tears *
    15 Pin Point It Down
    16 Loving You [[Is Hurting Me)
    17 I've Found My Goal *
    18 Don't Tell Me I'm Crazy
    19 Fan The Flame *
    20 In A Bad Way *
    21 I Hate Myself For Loving You *
    22 I'm Still A Struggling Man *
    23 Forgive My Jealousy *
    24 I Shall Not Be Moved *
    25 The Double Cross *

Tracks 1-12 comprise the scheduled but never issued LP SS722 "How Sweet He Is", in the originally intended running order. Tracks 1-15 are in stereo, the remainder in mono; all tracks are original Motown mixes from recordings made between 1968 and 1971. Tracks marked with an asterisk will be appearing here for the first time in any form.

It's been a longish wait for new Motown material from Ace, but I've seen the FF requested by several SDF members so I hope many will feel rewarded for their patience! There are a couple of other Ace/Motown projects in the pipeline, and I hope the next issue will happen a bit more promptly. As always, full info will be posted here first ...

Keith

I love that word...CD!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I love that word...CD!
    Keith Hughes was having some technical problems and asked me to post this cover on his behalf

And what a fab cover - bring it on
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by paul_nixon; 05-06-2015 at 05:01 AM. Reason: m

Wonderful! Can`t wait to get my hands on this.It`s good to hear that there are more in the pipeline.

Great news..... I hope and believe that ACE will be justly rewarded with great sales on this release, there have been so many people pushing for exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    And what a fab cover - bring it on
    Keith or Paul,
    As this release is being titled "the Lost Motown Album", was there/was there not proposed artwork for the cover for "How Sweet He Is"?
    Could one of the reasons that this album never saw release have been the title, that certainly drew attention to the lead singer, "Sweet" James Epps? And is that one of the reasons Ace is calling it The Lost Motown Album?

Looks from the logs that Sweet James was headed for a solo career at this time ... maybe that was one reason that the album was canned. We thought "How Sweet He Is" might sound like a Gospel album, so you might say our title choice was a "marketing decision"!

Our cover shot MIGHT have been intended for the album, but on the picture as we have it there's no lettering at all.

Thanks Keith for the clarification.

If Ace/Kent is in the mood for lost 'Motown' albums, don't forget about Blinky & Ivy Jo Hunter.

At long last! I've been waiting for this release for years! The Fantastic Four are amongs my favorites of the non-hit Motown acts. They could of been right up there with The Temps with the right promotion. HW stated that he found the masters for their aborted lp next to David Ruffin's. Since then I'd been hoping for a package similar to the "David" collection. Finally, my prayers have been answered!
    Last edited by jboy88; 05-05-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Looking forward to it - YEA!

Okay, I have to say it...FANTASTIC! Sign me up for 2 copies!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  21.1 KB
    Great News!!! I can't wait to get this one! I loved the their unreleased Motown cuts I listened to while perusing The Vaults for The "From The Vaults" Project.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Looks from the logs that Sweet James was headed for a solo career at this time ... maybe that was one reason that the album was canned. We thought "How Sweet He Is" might sound like a Gospel album, so you might say our title choice was a "marketing decision"!

Our cover shot MIGHT have been intended for the album, but on the picture as we have it there's no lettering at all.
    I wonder if it was Motown's intention to launch SJE as a solo performer in his own right or just let him record a few sides as a soloist whilst keeping his place in the group. What makes me wonder is that the quartet obviously moved labels as a four piece - perhaps their new roster just wanted a group..

Perhaps the CD compiler, Tony Rounce, will turn up some clues in his research for the essay, Paul.

I should of course have credited Tony in the initial announcement and apologise now for that omission. He's been helped by FF expert Chris Jenner; Mick Patrick's picked the pix and I've put together the annotations.

Ace really are the best!! It will be worth the wait. Yippee!!

Great news about this release, but to me it begs a question that I wonder if Keith might be able to answer:- with a bit of a stretch, this could have been a two cd collection incorporating the F4s first allbum [[the Ric-Tic one which subsequently appeared on Soul) as a 'complete F4' release. I know that album was issued on a Japanese cd a few years back, but it's never seen the light of day as a Spectrum/Hip-o/UMG mainstream release. Does this therefore confirm that UMG and the companies it leases to [[such as Ace) cannot access the Ric-Tic/Golden World back catalogue for some reason? I ask this in the light that there have also never been any official releases of collections by the San Remo Strings, Reflections, etc., that I would have thought might have appeared by now.

Looking forward to this release, tho'.

honest man Guest
    Ace Records are pleased to announce a new Motown CD, from the Fantastic Four. Titled "The Lost Motown LP - With Bonus Tracks From the Vaults", the CD is scheduled for release at the end of June. Track listing is as follows:

01 Take Him Back If It Makes You Happy
    02 Just Another Lonely Night
    03 If This World Were Mine
    04 A Little Too Much *
    05 We Can Work It Out *
    06 Keep On Tryin' [['Til You Find Love)
    07 On The Brighter Side Of A Blue World
    08 Don't Care Why You Want Me [[Long As You Want Me)
    09 I'm Gonna Carry On
    10 I Feel Like I'm Falling In Love Again
    11 You Turn Me Around *
    12 Just Can't Forget About You Baby *
    13 How Big Is Your Heart *
    14 It Keeps Raining Down Tears *
    15 Pin Point It Down
    16 Loving You [[Is Hurting Me)
    17 I've Found My Goal *
    18 Don't Tell Me I'm Crazy
    19 Fan The Flame *
    20 In A Bad Way *
    21 I Hate Myself For Loving You *
    22 I'm Still A Struggling Man *
    23 Forgive My Jealousy *
    24 I Shall Not Be Moved *
    25 The Double Cross *

Tracks 1-12 comprise the scheduled but never issued LP SS722 "How Sweet He Is", in the originally intended running order. Tracks 1-15 are in stereo, the remainder in mono; all tracks are original Motown mixes from recordings made between 1968 and 1971. Tracks marked with an asterisk will be appearing here for the first time in any form.

It's been a longish wait for new Motown material from Ace, but I've seen the FF requested by several SDF members so I hope many will feel rewarded for their patience! There are a couple of other Ace/Motown projects in the pipeline, and I hope the next issue will happen a bit more promptly. As always, full info will be posted here first ...

Keith
    OH MY LORD,The day has arrived thank you millions for this long awaited ,appreciated CD,you guys are the best,THANK YOU,AMEN

Fantastic news. Boy, have we all waited for this one!

And SO HAPPY I can sit on my sofa and read the booklet in my hand while listening to a disc.

It's the ONLY civilised way to appreciate music!

Thanks ACE. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelic jacques View Post
    Great news about this release, but to me it begs a question that I wonder if Keith might be able to answer:- with a bit of a stretch, this could have been a two cd collection incorporating the F4s first allbum [[the Ric-Tic one which subsequently appeared on Soul) as a 'complete F4' release. I know that album was issued on a Japanese cd a few years back, but it's never seen the light of day as a Spectrum/Hip-o/UMG mainstream release. Does this therefore confirm that UMG and the companies it leases to [[such as Ace) cannot access the Ric-Tic/Golden World back catalogue for some reason? I ask this in the light that there have also never been any official releases of collections by the San Remo Strings, Reflections, etc., that I would have thought might have appeared by now.

Looking forward to this release, tho'.
    The San Remo Strings were always on the stocks to have an anthology - Spectrum release but disappeared off the stock s when the anthology series and minor artist releases ceased Ric Tic material has been used on a number of compilations so it doesn't seem to be a problem.

RossHolloway Guest
    What great news to wake up to!

Hi Paul!

Sweet James recorded still in the 80s - besides those two solo singles - an albumful of material, but his relatives are asking too much for those tracks.

Best regards
    Heikki

I have to admit that I am unfamiliar with the Fantastic Four. This seems like a good release to buy in order to correct that error.

Am I dreaming? This is fantastic. James Epps is one of the greatest singers ever, in my opinion.

Great news indeed and I, for one, am relieved that it doesn't repeat the tracks from the Ric Tic / Soul album that has seen release twice on CD before. The cover of the new CD looks great and one of my fave Motown tracks of all is on the CD - their version of "Just Another Lonely Night". More good work guys - thanks!

Absolutely terrific news about a great, under appreciated Detroit/Motown group! I can't wait for this release--and anything else ACE puts out on our Motown favorites!

Speaking of which, why hasn't Universal just turned over the job of producing Motown CDs--for both the lesser-known AND the BIG stars--to Ace? If UMe isn't as interested anymore in releasing CDs or digital collections, they shouldn't punish the fans by keeping a lid on most things. [[I'm specifically thinking of the disappearance of "Supremes A' Go-Go" from any kind of release.)

We want CD releases on artists like The Fantastic Four and Blinky and San Remo Golden Strings...ALONG WITH cd packages on the biggies such as The Supremes [[60s & 70s), The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Gladys Knight and The Pips, etc.

Let ACE make this happen. We want our Motown [[and Motown-related) CD releases and ACE is more than willing and capable of making it happen with class, style, quality, and promotion. Who's with me on this?

honest man Guest
    24 I Shall Not Be Moved OH MY, I wonder if this is the same song as Barrino brothers,i think i have died and gone to heaven,Thank you lovely people.cheers

I hope it will be your only disappointment with this set, honest man, that it's not the Holland-Dozier title! Writers are Cosby-Hinton-Dean, and the FF's seems to be the only completed recording of the song. Please don't leave for heaven yet, I'm not sure that Ace have a distributor up there at this time.

as it includes Henry Cosby.....it's gonna be one hell of a song. That man is my hero.

CD = Sale! Ka-ching! Nice one, Ace.

At one point, based on the track If This World were Mine" being plucked from the sessions, I thought that it was intended to be a cover album of Marvin Gaye tunes. The title referencing Marvin's "How Sweet It Is". At that time I didn't know who the members were so i missed the "Sweet James" connection entirely. "You Turn me Around" and I Shall not be Moved", do sound like they could be gospel tracks. The latter actually is the name of a Gospel song. And Sweet James Epps did have the pipes to have church members flipping over pews.

Would be nice to have a Complete Ric-Tic \ Golden World Singles box set along the lines of The Complete Motown Singles ....... We can but dream :-)

"I Hate Myself for Loving You" is one of those odd themed compositions which Gloria Jones and Pam Sawyer seemed to specialize in, along the lines of "It's Bad for Me to See You." Very underrated song writers, in my opinion. Loved Yvonne Fair's version of "Bad" and Gladys Knight's version of "Hate Myself." I bet the Fantastic 4 really wail on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    24 I Shall Not Be Moved OH MY, I wonder if this is the same song as Barrino brothers,i think i have died and gone to heaven,Thank you lovely people.cheers
    I hope it's the same song, too, honest man. Freda Payne recorded it as well on her "Contact" Invictus album. A Motown version by the Fantastic Four could be sensational! Let's keep our fingers crossed! - Gary

Scratch this -- I didn't see Keith's comment until after I posted this.

Overall, got my arms open wide to welcome this Fantastic Four Motown release into my CD collection. As the J5 would say, "Hallelujah Day"!!!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 05-07-2015 at 12:37 AM.

honest man Guest
    I hope it will be your only disappointment with this set, honest man, that it's not the Holland-Dozier title! Writers are Cosby-Hinton-Dean, and the FF's seems to be the only completed recording of the song. Please don't leave for heaven yet, I'm not sure that Ace have a distributor up there at this time.
    No Problem Keith just a thought,i know nothing will disappoint on this set,will say it again THANK YOU,You and rest of crew input to these releases are priceless,cheers.

Danman I am completely with you...I cannot wait for this c.d to come out...I have every Ace/Kent Motown release and would support them all the way...they do such a fantastic job.

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelic jacques View Post
    Great news about this release, but to me it begs a question that I wonder if Keith might be able to answer:- with a bit of a stretch, this could have been a two cd collection incorporating the F4s first allbum [[the Ric-Tic one which subsequently appeared on Soul) as a 'complete F4' release. I know that album was issued on a Japanese cd a few years back, but it's never seen the light of day as a Spectrum/Hip-o/UMG mainstream release.
    I have a C.D. copy of "The Best Of The Fantastic Four" [[their "Ric-Tic" L.P.) on U.S. Motown, I'm not sure what year it came out as I can see no clue in the packaging, but it must have been some time around 1990 as it was one of the first Motown C.Ds I ever bought.

Having said that, it is definitely well overdue for reissue as there isn't a dud track on it.

Great news about this Ace release as every one of their Motown recordings that I have ever heard [[via the TCMS, "Cellarful" etc. sets) has been Fantastic as well.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I have a C.D. copy of "The Best Of The Fantastic Four" [[their "Ric-Tic" L.P.) on U.S. Motown, I'm not sure what year it came out as I can see no clue in the packaging, but it must have been some time around 1990 as it was one of the first Motown C.Ds I ever bought.

Having said that, it is definitely well overdue for reissue as there isn't a dud track on it.

Great news about this Ace release as every one of their Motown recordings that I have ever heard [[via the TCMS, "Cellarful" etc. sets) has been Fantastic as well.

Roger
    Roger,

"The Best Of The Fantastic Four" CD was reissued by Japanese Motown in November 2013 and is still available:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Fantast...fantastic+four

Ivor

Ivor

Have you found a way of avoiding the customs duties on cd's from Japan....I managed to escape it when I bought 23 Dionne Warwick cd's but I clobbered when I ordered 3 Motown cd's

Ivor

Have you found a way of avoiding the customs duties on cd's from Japan....I managed to escape it when I bought 23 Dionne Warwick cd's but I clobbered when I ordered 3 Motown cd's
    My experience when I used to order from Hip-O [[from the U.S. around 10 years back before they decided they weren't able to mail to The U.K.) was that it was all very random. About three times out of four the packages would arrive at my humble little abode without HMRC wanting me to pay any import duty. About a quarter of the time someone somewhere would decide that I needed to pay import duty and I had to trot down to my local post office and cough up another pound or two.

I imagine it hasn't changed that much.

Roger

Seems that way Roger

But it's the £8 fee to the Post Office that really gets up my nose.

I guess if I knew more about international trade, I'd understand why we don't pay import duties on anything coming in to the US. At least, I've never paid any on any CDs from Amazon UK or elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I guess if I knew more about international trade, I'd understand why we don't pay import duties on anything coming in to the US. At least, I've never paid any on any CDs from Amazon UK or elsewhere.
    You are so lucky....

As far as I am aware items imported from non EU countries with a value of £18 or more attract import duty. I've avoided paying this in the past by placing separate orders if the items are under £18. On one occasion where I had done this & duty was charged as they were shipped as one package, I wrote to the company concerned & they refunded the charges. At the same time two other packages were delivered which I expected to pay duty on, so go figure it, but I wasn't complaining.

@ tbfxt

For items that come from non-EU countries, you pay standard VAT [[20%) on goods with a value that exceeds £15. The VAT is applied to the total value including the postage charge.

Royal Mail also charges a "handling fee" for collecting the VAT. I've always been charged £5 for this. If you paid £8, perhaps this fee is not standard? But even £5 is ridiculous…

There is no customs duty on items with value less than £135. At or above that, you'll be charged customs duty at a rate which depends on the item, provided that the duty comes to at least £9. For cds, the rate is 3.5%. That means you need a value of a bit more than £257 to reach the £9 threshold charge. [[Still, I'd break an order up to avoid exceeding £135 - I'd be afraid they'd charge me by mistake, and perhaps at a rate which is too high… and good luck trying to get anything back.)

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff/commodities/8523493900

In practice, I've usually not been charged on single cds even when the value was above £15, including on orders from Japan. But I've placed a few bigger multi-cd orders with HMV Japan and I had to pay VAT on every one of those.

As Mr Soul writes, you could try to break the orders into smaller, separate orders. I've done this as well - a few months ago musicjapan had two cds I wanted on Amazon marketplace, so I ordered one, waited a day or two and then ordered the other, just to be sure they'd be sent seperately. It was not only about saving the VAT, but saving myself the hassle of having my cds held at the post until I paid the VAT. But with HMV Japan and some other sellers, you should also consider that breaking an order up might increase the postage cost [[not the case with Amazon marketplace).

That "Best of The Fantastic Four" cd linked above is offered by musicjapan for £6.26 + £1.26 postage, less than £15 so there should be no charges.
    Last edited by calvin; 05-08-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Ivor

John,

Import charges are very random [[and when you do get caught, as you say, you have to pay the Royal Mail handling fee as acting as your agent!) but a rule of thumb is if your total order totals £18 plus then it might well get picked up for the import charge [[i.e. the VAT) but if you keep your order under £18 it will just get passed with no import charge. So, if you are ordering several items, do separate orders for each individual item as this might well work [[on the assumption the individual item is leas than £18).

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    John,

Import charges are very random [[and when you do get caught, as you say, you have to pay the Royal Mail handling fee as acting as your agent!) but a rule of thumb is if your total order totals £18 plus then it might well get picked up for the import charge [[i.e. the VAT) but if you keep your order under £18 it will just get passed with no import charge. So, if you are ordering several items, do separate orders for each individual item as this might well work [[on the assumption the individual item is leas than £18).

Ivor
    Thank you to everybody for their input. The morale of the story is......record companies should release the cd's in the UK and then we dont have to pay extra!

Available for pre-order on Amazon but has to come down in price?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Motown-...ur+lost+motown

I have yet to see a pre-order price not come down, and in the case of the many Motown CD's I've pre-ordered with Amazon by a considerable amount. I always pre-order mine and because of Amazon's pre-order price guarantee have landed some real bargains in the past when the price has dipped to silly money before rising again. When I pre-ordered TCMSC 12B it was at £95.00 - it fell to £26.00 and that was all I paid for it. Remember that if you pre-order it you can cancel at any time before release, so if the price of an item doesn't fall to what you are prepared to pay for it, or find it cheaper elsewhere, just press cancel. One word of warning though - occasionally an item will suddenly go out as being temporarily unavailable before release and you will be offered to subscribe to an email from Amazon to be notified when it comas back into stock. Do NOT subscribe to this - just leave your original pre-order in place.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Great news indeed and I, for one, am relieved that it doesn't repeat the tracks from the Ric Tic / Soul album that has seen release twice on CD before. The cover of the new CD looks great and one of my fave Motown tracks of all is on the CD - their version of "Just Another Lonely Night". More good work guys - thanks!
    I wouldn't mind another reissue of their Ric-Tic era Motown album if it included the Mono mixes and non-lp singles as bonus tracks. Otherwise, i'm not interested either.

Best Of The Fantastic Four.
    Attachment 9433