[REMOVE ADS]

Interesting Occurrence: ROBERT DOWNEY, JR.--New Interview & Walk Out

The interviewer is quite famous in the UK. Do you think he was rude?

Not really--at the start of things, at least. And at one point, he prefaced his questions with mentioning personal issues and seemed to be asking if he could, and Downey seemed OK with that if not, perhaps, all that enthusiastically. The personal stuff has nothing really to do with Downey's new movie opening but we didn't get to see where the interviewer was going with the personal questions. Downey certainly had the right to stop the interview and leave but I couldn't quite see if he actually got a bit physical before he did or did he just make a gesture of something physical. Downey did make it obvious before the end of things that he was not pleased with the line of personal questioning. Since the interviewer did not stop at that point, perhaps it could be looked on that the interviewer was then approaching rudeness.

It would be interesting to know if any parameters had been established before the conversation started. If so, that might explain things more.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 04-30-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Methuslah2

The same interviewer with Pharrell Williams

I think the interviewer did a very good job here, Tbfxt. He held his ground and seemed certain of his position and intent. But Pharrell Williams was on defense and continually tried to block him. And he was successful but he wasn't quite answering the questions even though he was attempting to still make his points. The interviewer wasn't getting fully direct answers to his questions and Williams maintained his approach throughout. The questions seemed only answered in a manner of speaking but, ultimately, not really answered. At least to me.

The interviewer is a jerk because the interview was done from a promotional standpoint. This guy took low hanging fruit to try to look like a serious scribe by asking questions that have already been answered. At the point that it turned to anything beyond the movie, the subject had the right to either answer or move on.

I have to say the interview is much more fun for me when the interviewee gets up and walks out!

Did you see this one with the Bee Gees

Looked liked the Bee Gees were just havng some fun to me. Was their walk out actually serious?

It was all over the front pages in the next day's newspapers!

Apparently they objected to the word tossers....it's a slang word...not a very nice word to call someone

From a professional point of view, if there is an agreement about the interview, and it strays off to "sensational incidents" and it strays and it strays and it strays ~ what do you expect? They have to be ready for it and should expect the walk out. Maybe the want the walk out to get some attention.

I didn't think these interviews were too bad but Downey's definitely strayed off track.

It's not great to be an interviewer and "be left" ~ you feel like a rejected bride, you kind of look like a fool too, sitting there interviewing nothing. It's never great to be the person left.

As an interviewer, you have to expect it. You're essentially prying into someone's private life, dealing with real human emotions and feelings. If the interview is supposed to be about the movie, that's the way it should stay.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    The interviewer is quite famous in the UK. Do you think he was rude?
    He was not rude. This is RUDE!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Methuslah2

The same interviewer with Pharrell Williams

Pharrell is very intelligent and appears to like being engaged. He also comes off a whole lot tougher than Robert Downey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Not really--at the start of things, at least. And at one point, he prefaced his questions with mentioning personal issues and seemed to be asking if he could, and Downey seemed OK with that if not, perhaps, all that enthusiastically. The personal stuff has nothing really to do with Downey's new movie opening but we didn't get to see where the interviewer was going with the personal questions. Downey certainly had the right to stop the interview and leave but I couldn't quite see if he actually got a bit physical before he did or did he just make a gesture of something physical. Downey did make it obvious before the end of things that he was not pleased with the line of personal questioning. Since the interviewer did not stop at that point, perhaps it could be looked on that the interviewer was then approaching rudeness.

It would be interesting to know if any parameters had been established before the conversation started. If so, that might explain things more.
    As far as getting physical, at 6:43 when Downey gets up and walks over towards the interviewer, he slaps him on the back firmly....no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Pharrell is very intelligent and appears to like being engaged. He also comes off a whole lot tougher than Robert Downey Jr.
    He looks like he comes from Tidewater, VA, doesn't he? Oh, wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    He looks like he comes from Tidewater, VA, doesn't he? Oh, wait...
    Jerry, I'm not sure what that means, but I decided that Robert Downey Jr should be counting his blessings and not be so ..............

What other drug addict, Ex-con gets to live the life of a Robert Downey Jr? !

Pharrell is from Virginia Beach, which is in the Tidewater area of Virginia. Other cities are Newport News, Hampton, Suffolk and Norfolk. My family is from that region. Each has wonderful areas, but they all have tough sides that might have taught him that look. That's what came to mind when you suggested he look tougher than Downey. It's because he is!

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the rules were set by his management beforehand. Obviously, that didn't stop the interviewer. The interviewer may be pretty famous in the U.K., but he's not very subtle. A good interviewer takes his or her time, gets the guest comfortable, then lures the interviewee into sharing sensitive topics. This guy just plowed in an obnoxious fashion.

If I were RDJ, I would have walked out too.

I agree. This guy was trying to make a mundane junket interview into an in-depth personal interest interview. Downey took a Sweet Brown view of it and said 'Ain't nobody got time for that!'