[REMOVE ADS]

Why So Little Interest In Helping The Living?

A rhetorical question. Here are some charities we should all take interest in:
    Society of Singers
    Endorsed by Charlo [[“20 Feet …”, Harlette, “Sister Act”) Crossley
    Society of Singers [[SOS) is a nonprofit 501[[c)[[3) charitable organization dedicated to maintaining and restoring the personal dignity, health, and welfare of professional vocalists nationwide
    http://www.singers.org

Rhythm & Blues Foundation
    Endorsed by Aretha Franklin, Rhianna, Jerry Butler, Paul Schaeffer, etc. [[Plus, someone named Kenneth Gamble is Secretary)
    The Rhythm & Blues Foundation is the only non-profit organization solely dedicated to preserving Rhythm & Blues music and celebrating the artists who create it.
    http://www.rhythmblues.org/

Gospel Music Trust Fund
    The Trust Fund was founded in 1983 by the late Herman Harper former member of the Oak Ridge Boys and President of The Harper Agency, a major booking agency for gospel artists. It exists to provide financial assistance, in the event of an emergency or major catastrophe, terminal or severe illness, to individuals who have derived a substantial portion of their income from the field of Gospel music.
    http://www.gospelmusictrustfund.org/
    The Blues Foundation
    The Blues Foundation has established the HART Fund [[Handy Artists Relief Trust) for Blues musicians and their families in financial need due to a broad range of health concerns. The Fund provides for acute, chronic and preventive medical and dental care as well as funeral and burial expenses.
    http://www.blues.org/hart/

Musicians Foundation
    The Musicians Foundation is committed to the singular mission of providing critical and life-changing financial assistance to professionals in the music industry. We don’t incur costs running other programs or services. Giving musicians the funds they need to pursue their art is all that we do.
    http://www.musiciansfoundation.org/how-we-help/

Motown/Universal Group Fund
    http://www.motownumgfund.com/main.html

Very interesting RobertZ

I didn't know about most of these.

Here are some more organizations that help the Arts:

Music Cares [[the wealthiest artists donate to this fund)
    Actor's Fund
    Musicians Union

I can tell you on the list combined with Roberta's list that the following are the only ones that help the most, the rest are very limited in what they are authorized to do or give to help a struggling artist.

The best Organizations in this field are:
    * The Jazz Foundation of America [[for Jazz Artists & Musicians) - They truly work hard to take care of their own and give the greatest help.
    * The Musicians Foundation [[They are for all, they also work closely with the Jazz Foundation).
    * The R&B Foundation's Doc Pomus Fund [[for ALL R&B Artists/Musicians).
    This also includes the Universal Fund which is a part of both the Doc Pomus Fund & the Motown Fund.

S.S.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  21.1 KB
    Remember Bob Abrahamian [[boba)? - who used to post here, and who ran the "Sitting In The Park" radio show and website [[God rest his Soul)?

He took it upon himself to help the aged and down-and-out music artists in Chicago, as there was no one else to do it, because even the governmental and charitable organisations' services didn't reach them or didn't improve their lives enough to put them in decent shape.

I can't help but think that constantly seeing that sad lot for so many of those people was at least a contributor to the depression that he had that eventually caused Bob to leave this World.

* Roberta and myself provided some valuable information here, if anyone has ties to an artist in unfortunate circumstances help them take advantage of these services.
    Many have paved the way, many are pioneers in the music field, all of them brought us joy through their music, they earned it and paid their dues. Many have been cheated by the music industry and cannot get paid what they truly earned. These organizations were set up to help those artists who have medical issues or are in old age and are not able to work anymore. They may need an advocate or spokesperson to help them with the paperwork. Make them aware what's available to them.
    If you are a person who can afford to donate, by all means donate. I know for a fact the Jazz Foundation alone gets about 500 calls a week from Singers, Musicians, & their families. Yes, shocking number of recording artists that need help. including NEA Jazz Masters, quite a few. You'd be surprised about some of the bigger names. Most want to kept confidential, not Jimmy, he always gave credit where credit is due and allowed his full name to be ,used for testimonials.

Robb, I remember Bob, he had a kind heart and a generous spirit. Now he can be at peace knowing he was one oof the few who thought about those artists who sadly fell through the cracks. Unfortunately for most artists.... that is they way the music industry is set up, for the artist to fail. They are cheated in life and are still cheated in death. Bob was a rare wonderful person, may he rest in peace. He is probably someone's Angel now.

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    Here are some more organizations that help the Arts:

Music Cares [[the wealthiest artists donate to this fund)
    Actor's Fund
    Musicians Union

I can tell you on the list combined with Roberta's list that the following are the only ones that help the most, the rest are very limited in what they are authorized to do or give to help a struggling artist.

The best Organizations in this field are:
    * The Jazz Foundation of America [[for Jazz Artists & Musicians) - They truly work hard to take care of their own and give the greatest help.
    * The Musicians Foundation [[They are for all, they also work closely with the Jazz Foundation).
    * The R&B Foundation's Doc Pomus Fund [[for ALL R&B Artists/Musicians).
    This also includes the Universal Fund which is a part of both the Doc Pomus Fund & the Motown Fund.

S.S.

That's great input, Ms. Soul Sister - I will use it to help me make my monthly contribution decisions. Thanks so much!

Glad to be of help, Roberta.

S.S.