[REMOVE ADS]

Don't Forget Record Store Day - April 18 ,2015

Sorry for the late reminder..............I forgot! LOL!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=%23Reco...l=812&efirst=6

My haul from yesterday's RSD adventures...

Name:  IMG_0799.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  96.4 KB

Dixie Cups, Marvelettes, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Cassandra Wilson/Billie Holiday, Gladys & Pips, etc. etc...

I don't do record day.

thomas96 Guest
    What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    What is it?
    It's a day to support your local record shop [[if it still exists). Record companies support the day by making limited quantities of special editions available to the record shop. That entices customers to get out and support the local record shops. But it doesn't entice everyone. Some people don't do Record Store Day

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    What is it?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_Store_Day

I think the original concept of Record Store Day, giving focus and publicity to independent stores is excellent. However, personally I have no interest in buying new pressings of old material - I'd far rather search out originals. I realise there are some 'unique specials', but I'd be more interested in limited editions of rare CD albums. I'm also not interested in queing up for hours outside a store.

Whilst I'm very happy with the principle of the Day for those who are interested, I wonder whether it hasn't got out of hand and is now more of a promotional vehicle for the record companies rather than the shops. I was talking with a dealer [[here in the UK) who now does not look forward to the day at all, but he feels he has to take part. He has to buy in all the specials, doesn't always get everything he orders and always finds he has unsold stock left over. Therefore, he ends up making a loss rather than a profit! Seems to defeat the object of the exercise!

I bought a few items Linda Jones "Hypnotized" with bonus 45, Sandra Wright "Wounded Woman" which I originally loaned out & never got back, "Texas Soul '64" Various Artists & an assortment of 45's. Although I'm most pleased with the Sly & The Family Stone Live at the Fillmore East double LP in red/green vinyl, a first issue for this October 1968 recording & what I've heard so far it's a gem.

I like getting original [[read: used) pressings to ensure that i'm getting the correct versions of the songs. Obviously, I also buy a lot of used 45s.

The thing with RSD is that it doesn't ONLY do re-pressings. There are a lot of special issues that are brand new. Even of 'vintage' artists. And many people who end up coming out just for those releases end up discovering some great, 'older' stuff. It brings a lot of people out and many people end up talking, discovering new things, and making friendships. That's why I love it. Frankly, as long as vinyl is being sold, music is being shared, and people talk, that's all that matters to me.